Brandon Beane 4/29 interview on PFT Live

2 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

How can we listen?  Go to the NBC or Twitter links and there is no way to play the recording nor inkling how to find it.  Please elaborate.

I clicked on the link in the Bills PR tweet and then the PFT podcast and it’s the first thing listed

Nothing new here.   

Interesting how with almost every pick, Beane says "he stood out on our board."   He's taking BPA over and over.  They thought they were done at receiver, but Hodgins was the BPA.   They weren't looking at QB, but Fromm was the BPA.   Epenesa wasn't necessarily someone they targeted, but he was the BPA.   Moss was the BPA.   He says it over and over. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Nothing new here.   

Interesting how with almost every pick, Beane says "he stood out on our board."   He's taking BPA over and over.  They thought they were done at receiver, but Hodgins was the BPA.   They weren't looking at QB, but Fromm was the BPA.   Epenesa wasn't necessarily someone they targeted, but he was the BPA.   Moss was the BPA.   He says it over and over. 

Beane did say he took Diggs, A.J, ZM because they were positions of need in a post draft interview, and stated if he could he would return to BPA depending on how the draft fell to him. Don’t get me wrong, I like all the picks, but it wasn’t all BPA byBeane’s own words. 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane did say he took Diggs, A.J, ZM because they were positions of need in a post draft interview, and stated if he could he would return to BPA depending on how the draft fell to him. Don’t get me wrong, I like all the picks, but it wasn’t all BPA byBeane’s own words. 

Go Bills!!!

No reason why both can't be true.  No one actually spends that much to trade for a player that is not "a position of need."  But I could believe that AJ and Zack were both positions of need, as most fans knew, and BPA at the same time.  The Bills were very fortunate.  Epenesa falling to them and getting Zack as RB#9 of the draft would have been improbable singular events going in.  

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Nothing new here.   

Is it just a coincidence that most of Beane’s pics were those of need? Look at the holes that he plugged, all with draft picks. People throw around the BPA label way too much.

For example, how do you pick the BPA between a DE and a TE? Unless you are going on non-football stuff, like the vertical jump, they’re not objectively comparable. Positions are either you need them or you don’t. Beane picked up a DE (a hole), a bruising RB to spell Devin (a hole), a bigger WR (a hole), a kicker (needed to be improved), and a backup QB (needed to be improved). The only BPA selected were probably Jackson, Hodgins, and the UDFAs. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Is it just a coincidence that most of Beane’s pics were those of need? Look at the holes that he plugged, all with draft picks. People throw around the BPA label way too much.

I agree with this to some extent... 

Two biggest needs in my mind heading into the draft were at DE and RB and they were his first two picks...

I think Day 2 in particular is his "needs day"... in 2019 he picked RT, RB and traded up for a TE on Day 2 which all filled big needs... 

As long as he is getting good players worthy of the postition its all good by me..

I think Day 3 he picks a bit more BPA...

8 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

For example, how do you pick the BPA between a DE and a TE? Unless you are going on non-football stuff, like the vertical jump, they’re not objectively comparable. Positions are either you need them or you don’t. Beane picked up a DE (a hole), a bruising RB to spell Devin (a hole), a bigger WR (a hole), a kicker (needed to be improved), and a backup QB (needed to be improved). The only BPA selected were probably Jackson, Hodgins, and the UDFAs. 

It’s very simple. They grade every single prospect and list them on a board. That’s why “Big Boards” exist.

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s very simple. They grade every single prospect and list them on a board. That’s why “Big Boards” exist.

It would be very simple to grade TE vs other TEs, but what would be in common between the grading criteria between a TE and a DE or WR and a RG? I agree you can throw them all up on a board at the end, but a inter-position bias is going to be introduced during the scoring process. If you want to score long jump, 40 times, wing span, or even attitude or football IQ, then sure, you can sort away.

36 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

It would be very simple to grade TE vs other TEs, but what would be in common between the grading criteria between a TE and a DE or WR and a RG? I agree you can throw them all up on a board at the end, but a inter-position bias is going to be introduced during the scoring process. If you want to score long jump, 40 times, wing span, or even attitude or football IQ, then sure, you can sort away.

That’s how they do it. Every year. They assign number grades to everyone.

It’s imperfect, but that’s how it’s done.

Edited by FireChans

3 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

No reason why both can't be true.  No one actually spends that much to trade for a player that is not "a position of need."  But I could believe that AJ and Zack were both positions of need, as most fans knew, and BPA at the same time.  The Bills were very fortunate.  Epenesa falling to them and getting Zack as RB#9 of the draft would have been improbable singular events going in.  

Both certainly can true.  We all know BPA is a state of constant flux throughout the draft process depending on who is selected in front of you. Again I believe Beane did his usual great job of acquiring the correct players for the Bills needs, all the while competing against thirty one other teams to do so, that is no easy task. We are super fortunate to have him and Sean running the show. It’s damn refreshing to have glaring competence at their positions. ?

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

He was very clear that Epenesa, Moss and others were BPA.  He expected he was going to get offense in the second round, but the early round 2 picks took the offense off the board. Fromm and the receivers all were BPA.  That's what he said in the interview.  

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

He was very clear that Epenesa, Moss and others were BPA.  He expected he was going to get offense in the second round, but the early round 2 picks took the offense off the board. Fromm and the receivers all were BPA.  That's what he said in the interview.  

Beane stated in the post 3rd round interview that the first three Diggs, A.J. and ZM were need, and he would go back to BPA in the 4th onward. 

that information was posted on this forum. So I specifically posted about it in a couple of threads referencing that interview. Like it or not that’s what he said in that interview, he used those words, just sayin.

We all know the draft is a mix of flat out need, and topping up talent at any and all positions, and that is exactly what our absolutely outstanding GM did , not that it matters a bit, but I am totally good with every pick he made. We have a really good HC and GM/FO and they have resurrected the Bills franchise.

For what it’s worth,   Your posts are among the best thought out presented on this forum, and I have learned a good deal from your perspective, so this is not a who wins discussion for me. I am just stating what BB was quoted saying. ?

Go Bills!!!

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane stated in the post 3rd round interview that the first three Diggs, A.J. and ZM were need, and he would go back to BPA in the 4th onward. 

that information was posted on this forum. So I specifically posted about it in a couple of threads referencing that interview. Like it or not that’s what he said in that interview, he used those words, just sayin.

We all know the draft is a mix of flat out need, and topping up talent at any and all positions, and that is exactly what our absolutely outstanding GM did , not that it matters a bit, but I am totally good with every pick he made. We have a really good HC and GM/FO and they have resurrected the Bills franchise.

For what it’s worth,   Your posts are among the best thought out presented on this forum, and I have learned a good deal from your perspective, so this is not a who wins discussion for me. I am just stating what BB was quoted saying. ?

Go Bills!!!

Thanks for the compliment, and I'll return it.   I really enjoy talking about what's going on with the Bills, and you're one of the posters who regularly advance the discussions.  

I agree with all that you say, particularly about it not being about who wins. 

I never got around to listening to the press conferences at the end of each draft day, so I didn't hear the things that you're referencing.    I need to go back and listen to those.   What you say he said, and I don't doubt it, is contrary to what he said and implied in the podcast that's linked here.    He didn't literally say Epenesa was BPA, but he describes the process as one where given the talent that was on the board at the beginning of day 2, he expected that what would fall to him was offense.   He didn't say he intended to go offense; he said that's what he expected he would get.   The clear implication was that he was taking the best player on the board when it was his pick.   

He literally said Moss was BPA.   He literally said Davis and Fromm and Hodgins were BPA.   So he seems to have changed his tune over the week.   

I'm with you about the draft.   I don't see how it could have gone better.   Diggs in the first round was an outstanding move; yes, he gave up a little draft capital, but as he's said, there aren't many openings on the team for later round picks to make it.  Epenesa and Moss filled perhaps the two biggest needs, rotational players at edge and running back, and filled them with guys who have the potential to be really good players in the league.   Fromm fills a need - the guy could be the ideal back up for four years.   I'm a Hauschka fan, but if Bass is a marginal upgrade, I'm good with it.   I like receivers and no one on the roster behind the first three has shown that he can be a quality #4 guy when the Bills go four and five wide.   It was a really good draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

Ugh.  It seems this "BPA vs. Need" argument comes up every year -- the truth is it's not ALL one or the other.  Beane says so himself -- if you have two players ranked similarly on your board, you then look to which one better fills a need on the roster (or has a better chance to stick).  The problem is when a team reaches for a lesser-ranked player because they have a need at the position (see:  NY Giants 2019).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1