Report: Bills we’re taking Dugger at 54 if he was there

Like someone pointed out.......

I can buy this Dugger argument more if the Bills took Chinn.

It’s all just pure speculation since no one has any idea where McBeane was going with the 54th overall pick to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

If they were so dead set on Dugger at 54, why wouldn’t they have drafted Jeremy Chinn who was still there at our pick? Similar players except Chinn is much younger. I don’t buy it.

Excellent point.

24 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

If they were so dead set on Dugger at 54, why wouldn’t they have drafted Jeremy Chinn who was still there at our pick? Similar players except Chinn is much younger. I don’t buy it.

Why did the Patriots take Dugger over Chinn?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It’s all just pure speculation since no one has any idea where McBeane was going with the 54th overall pick to begin with.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Excellent point.

Just because they loved Dugger doesn’t mean that they loved Chinn....that’s an odd argument. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think being 24 is a big deal especially for a team that took 19 year old Edmunds.  Then there's the competition.  A 24 year old man playing against the 19 to 21 year olds at the DII level doesn't project well to the NFL.  Then there's the " he doesnt do on tape what he will be asked to do in the NFL."

It's the triple whammy of cause for doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

True, but very similar types.

They do similar things but who knows where the Bills had Chinn graded? The Bills loved Dugger. That doesn’t mean that they loved Chinn. The Bills probably loved Chase Young. That doesn’t mean that they automatically loved Bradlee Anae. 

The Bills wanted Dugger. The Bills were prepared to move into the 40’s for Dugger. Dugger was drafted at 37. The Bills pivoted and took Epenesa. That happens to teams all of the time. Every single team, in every single draft has guys that they want, that they think they can get, that are gone by their next pick. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Ummmmm

maybe they liked him better.

Exactly. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

They do similar things but who knows wherenthe Bills had Chinn graded. The Bills loved Dugger. That doesn’t mean that they loved Chinn. The Bills probably loves Chase Young. That doesn’t mean that they automatically loved Bradlee Anae. 

The Bills wanted Dugger. The Bills were prepared to move into the 40’s for Dugger. Dugger was drafted at 37. The Bills pivoted and took Epenesa. That happens to teams all of the time. Every single team, in every single draft has guys that they want, that they think they can get, that are gone by their next pick. 

If the Redskins loved Burrow, why didn’t they draft Jake Fromm?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Dugger is likely to end up career wise like that Dolphin player Josh made look like a tool on that run we all enjoyed watching repeatedly.. always forget his name... the cheap shot guy...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They do similar things but who knows wherenthe Bills had Chinn graded. The Bills loved Dugger. That doesn’t mean that they loved Chinn. The Bills probably loves Chase Young. That doesn’t mean that they automatically loved Bradlee Anae. 

I don't have a sub to the Athletic so I didn't see or hear elsewhere that the Bills were prepared to move up for Dugger. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They probably tried trading up and could have, but they didn’t love him enough to give up the 3rd round pick (Moss). In hindsight, looking at who they got with their picks, it probably worked out better for them. They could have had Dugger if they would have given up the required picks, but they would have missed out on some combination of Epenesa, Moss, Davis, and Fromm. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. Everyone wants to believe the Bills got their first choice.

2. Dugger was never a very popular choice among the majority of Bills fans for whatever reason.

It's mostly this. It's a weird coping mechanism that I don't think is really needed.

There are so many teams in the draft that don't get the #1 guy they hoped for at their pick, but no GM is going to say that, so I think fans are conditioned to believe or just want to believe that the draft always works out in the most optimal way. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't have a sub to the Athletic so I didn't see or hear elsewhere that the Bills were prepared to move up for Dugger. 

I don’t know how much you trust my info but I have a text that I sent to my dad and brother at 5:39 on Friday after receiving a text saying Dugger. If I can figure out how to shrink it down I’ll attach it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

31 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Because the Beane went BPA, as he said he would, instead of reaching for a position.

Safety isnt as much a need as DE, but Dugger would have been BPA. Chinn did not rank with Dugger or Epenesa.

Easy as that.

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. Everyone wants to believe the Bills got their first choice.

2. Dugger was never a very popular choice among the majority of Bills fans for whatever reason.

You’re probably right. I may be in the minority here but as long as we draft impact players then I couldn’t care less if they weren’t our first choice.

• Like (+1) 1

Not really a shock to be honest, they did a ton of high level scouting on him, maybe more than any other player I can recall hearing or reading about.  

Im sure Dugger and AJE were closely graded, doesn't really matter who was the one slightly higher.

But, I think 2 things:

1.  I do believe Dugger May have been the pick instead of AJE if both had been on the board simply because we signed Addison and Jefferson already, so it’s not like AJE was a must draft position for us and Dugger is very versatile all over the secondary the way he projects.  And when eyeing teams like Ravens and Chiefs as who we now have to focus on (instead of Pats), adding that kind of versatility makes a lot of sense.  We have some explosive players to cover in the secondary, including at TE with those teams and Dugger could plug into that nicely if he is as good as they believe.

2.  AJE is the safer pick given how well he played against top competition and I think will have a bigger impact if he hits than Dugger would.  While I was intrigued by Dugger, he just didn’t make the kind of impact I would expect in D2.  I’m always a little more down on players who you have to make excuses for or explain while their production didn’t quite match their potential, especially against low level competition.  The two exceptions for me where I am more accepting of the lower production vs perceived talent are QB and WR because both are so highly dependent on other positions to individually succeed.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just like last year when the Pats took that crappy receiver in the first round, I was laughing this year when they took this D2 guy that didn’t stand out THAT much. They’ve had some crappy drafts lately and I’m glad we didn’t take him.