Report: Bills we’re taking Dugger at 54 if he was there

28 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Only time will tell, but sometimes the best things to happen to us - aren't the ones that don't. How many times in life have we all heard about a person who "should have" been on a plane, in a car, or train but missed it and was fuming they were late or delayed only to have that plane / car / train have an accident that could have / would have seriously injured them? Or when you miss the trading call on the floor by a minute and the stock rebounds or jumps to see the money made or saved in the thousands / millions etc. 

This could be one of those times, b/c unless Dugger becomes Reed 2.0, the DE is a much higher value position especially after Poyer's extension and Hyde's contract. But as I said, time will tell.

The Bills once tried DESPERATELY to trade up for Mark Barron. They couldn’t get a deal done so they “settled” for Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore is the reigning DPOY (albeit for another team) and Barron is a FA that may be out of the league. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 5

I believe the Bills were very high on Dugger and were planning on taking him at 54. However, I believe the Bills had a higher grade on Epenesa, and even if Dugger would have been available at 54, they still would have choosen Epenesa.

41 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I was so relieved when NE took him.  I just don't see the allure of him.  I was expecting so much more dominance from a player playing with D2 athletes.

Saving this post for when he's crushing our WRs over the middle a la Harrison/Meriweather/Chung. Dude is good.

14 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Disappointing that they didn’t get their guy, but I think Epenesa will have a better long term effect on the team. Who would Dugger have replaced? Andre Roberts on returns? Hyde and Poyer are the safeties. Was Hyde going to be traded?  Would he move to linebacker? I really liked him and he will be good on the Pats, but I don’t see where he would have played this year. 

Hyde. He's coming up on the end of his contract, and is very cutable next year, and he'll be 31 then. Hyde couldve been traded. But either way, I dont see the Bills extending or re-signing him.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Good thing that it didn’t come down to it.

I, for one, have serious reservations that the Bills had their hearts set on a 24 year old small school player.

Belicheat actually took him.  What does that say about him?

How are people still asking where Dugger would have played/fit in our defense? There was so much discussion of this leading up to the draft.

He would have played Big Nickel, a safety/linebacker/corner hybrid, and would have been on the field a ton as a rookie. He also may have taken Andre Roberts’ job as primary returner and/or pushed him off the roster. Position-less defensive players are the future, as seen by the high selections and usage of guys like Derwin James, Isaiah Simmons, and Dugger.

I’m not upset that the Bills missed out on him, but I AM upset that it was to the Patriots*. He’s gonna be really good, and we’re all gonna have to constantly hear about what a genius Belichick is for drafting him. Ugh.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

How are people still asking where Dugger would have played/fit in our defense? There was so much discussion of this leading up to the draft.

He would have played Big Nickel, a safety/linebacker/corner hybrid, and would have been on the field a ton as a rookie. He also may have taken Andre Roberts’ job as primary returner and/or pushed him off the roster. Position-less defensive players are the future, as seen by the high selections and usage of guys like Derwin James, Isaiah Simmons, and Dugger.

I’m not upset that the Bills missed out on him, but I AM upset that it was to the Patriots*. He’s gonna be really good, and we’re all gonna have to constantly hear about what a genius Belichick is for drafting him. Ugh.

If this is true that they would have taken him there then that has to be why McD wanted him but it doesn’t change the fact he did none of this on film in college so it’s a projection he could do it at the level we need in the NFL. He played FS in college and was not asked to do what McD would be asking him to do. I think he’s a project and would not play much as a rookie, and he’s already 24.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

So, you can say with confidence that a 24 year old rookie from a really small school is going to be a superstar?

If he is great, good for him. But to say it in confidence when you haven’t seen this kid play a down is foolhardy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

So, you can say with confidence that a 24 year old rookie from a really small school is going to be a superstar?

If he is great, good for him. But to say it in confidence when you haven’t seen this kid play a down is foolhardy.

I believe he will be very good. I did not say superstar, you did.

And if projecting the careers of rookies who we’ve never seen play a down in the NFL is “foolhardy”, then that means Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Daniel Jeremiah, every NFL GM and scout, and all football fans are fools. All we DO with rookies is project and guess. C’mon, man!

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

McBeane was NEVER taking Dugger over Epenesa, so this discussion is pretty mute to begin with.

Lol. Mute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why are people trying so hard to disprove this? 

1. Everyone wants to believe the Bills got their first choice.

2. Dugger was never a very popular choice among the majority of Bills fans for whatever reason.

It's certainly possible but I don't inherently trust leaks out of the Bills anymore. I can believe they weren't all that high on Epenesa, if they were they would have traded up for him. To be honest I don't think they liked this draft class in general. They took a QB and a kicker in the 5th and 6th rounds. Two lottery tickets. They supposedly tried to trade up a few times but weren't willing to part with the necessary picks.

In any case I for one am happy we didn't draft a 24 year old D2 player without a defined role.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I can confirm this one too. Dugger was the guy. They had even talked about trading up for him.

This was a weird year for the usually airtight Bills. The virtual draft had more info slipping out than usual. Additionally, they tried to trade up for Duvernay. 

Duvernay was a lot of fun to watch. Not as fast as Tyreek Hill but could be utilized in a similar way. He or Colin Johnson wouldve been alright in the second half of the draft. If Epenesa is capable to using that swat move at the next level im good with the pick either way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

1. Everyone wants to believe the Bills got their first choice.

2. Dugger was never a very popular choice among the majority of Bills fans for whatever reason.

I think that you got it here. The reality is there were multiple times in this draft that the Bills wanted someone else but couldn’t get him. It doesn’t mean that they don’t like the guys that they got but they liked other guys more. That happens to every team in every draft.

• Like (+1) 4