Andy Dalton Released

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Depends.  Are you talking about a season ending injury in week 1 or a ding that keeps Allen out for 4 games?   If I think my starter is capable of winning a SB, then give me the guy that can go .500 with a good team around him.  Four games with a good versus garbage QB2 behind center could be the difference between 11-5 and 9-7. 

Good point, there are definitely nuances and different situations that would be in play. But I'm even less concerned with Barkley/Fromm if it is just for a few games. Is what it is at this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well I think you'd be in the minority.

Minority of Bills fans? Sure. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's the thing tho...

If Allen gets hurt, do we really want someone who is OK enough to get us to 8-8?

Or do we follow the 49ers model? Jimmy G went down and they sucked, and that ultimately landed them Bosa. Which just stacked their team for when Jimmy G did come back and took them to the Super Bowl.

I vote latter.

I definitely get this point. And it Ames sense. But this is were I’m a lot more realistic that most Bills fans.  The gap, if there was one, between Dalton and last years Allen is very small.  Obviously, the “ceiling” is higher on Allen but I believe the Bills make the playoffs with Dalton.  

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So Dalton gets the blame for the disaster that are the Cincinnati Bengals?

Im suggesting he could do what Bridgewater did for the Saints last season.... Barkley can’t and neither can Fromm.

In fairness, we shouldn’t say Fromm yet but I have serious doubts.  Again, some fans overrate players when they become Bills.  We literally saw the only good start of Barkley’s career.  He has thrown double the amount of ints to tds.  That’s a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

good call, did not think of them

no way can Marone and Crew survive a tank year..dont see it

Fixed it for you

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Minority of Bills fans? Sure. 

I definitely get this point. And it Ames sense. But this is were I’m a lot more realistic that most Bills fans.  The gap, if there was one, between Dalton and last years Allen is very small.  Obviously, the “ceiling” is higher on Allen but I believe the Bills make the playoffs with Dalton.  

Once again, we’re plagued by you trying to hijack a thread, spewing your nonsense adamantly.

Please step away from the keyboard.

*PSA

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fixed it for you

Once again, we’re plagued by you trying to hijack a thread, spewing your nonsense adamantly.

Please step away from the keyboard.

*PSA

Talking about Dalton being a Bills backup in Dalton thread is hijacking a thread?  Makes sense.

and I can’t step away from the keyboard.  I hate working from home. It sucks.

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well I think you'd be in the minority.

Outside this board, I think you would find yourself in the distinct minority on this issue.  Allen has yet to put up a season that compares to what Cam, Dalton, and Winston have done in the past.  As it stands, Allen is a developing QB who isn't asked to do too much due to a stout defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that, unless Stidham is lightning in a bottle, Dalton would probably give Bill and the Pats a better shot of making the playoffs this year. I think that would require a change in plans however because I don't think Hoyer is there to really compete with Stidham. He is there to mentor Stidham and help him get comfortable with a system Hoyer is totally familiar with. But Hoyer (unlike Dalton) has absolutely no arm (or future as a starting QB) while Stidham's arm seems to be fairly lively so I have no doubt they planned this year to see what they have with the 2nd year fourth rounder. Does Dalton's release change that's? Maybe. Unlike Hoyer Dalton can provide competition for the starting job and if Stidham is not ready he (and the Pats) would be better off with AD under centre.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Outside this board, I think you would find yourself in the distinct minority on this issue.  Allen has yet to put up a season that compares to what Cam, Dalton, and Winston have done in the past.  As it stands, Allen is a developing QB who isn't asked to do too much due to a stout defense.  

I would honestly take Allen next year over those three and it is not that close- but honestly to act like Winston is good is crazy unless your fantasy team is how to determine good QBs. Also I think Cam is done but we will see.

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Talking about Dalton being a Bills backup in Dalton thread is hijacking a thread?  Makes sense.

and I can’t step away from the keyboard.  I hate working from home. It sucks.

you did not unquestioningly accept the mantra that Allen will be the Bills’ quarterback for the next 15 years.  Twenty lashes for you!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

It's a shame this move didn't happen sooner.  Dalton would have been a nice replacement in a few locations.

The Bengals genius front office didnt want to tip their hand that they were taking Burrow, and have someone else snag him before they could. :blink:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

At some point people have to stop worrying about the other teams because we are good enough to beat them.  There isnt but maybe two teams in the AFC that I worry about matching up against, and the Patriots are not one of them (Even with Dalton or Cam).  Now Rogers gets traded there, maybe I have a different outlook (but that isnt happening this year either)

Assuming Daboll/Allen can figure out a way to score more than like 10 points against them.  I know they lost players on defense but they're still formidable, and they seem to blitz and confuse Allen like no one else can.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In fairness, we shouldn’t say Fromm yet but I have serious doubts.  Again, some fans overrate players when they become Bills.  We literally saw the only good start of Barkley’s career.  He has thrown double the amount of ints to tds.  That’s a problem. 

They like Barkley for his brain - but between Daboll and Dorsey there's a few brains in there now.  At the end of the day, if Fromm can process things faster and they have comparable arms - you go with Fromm.  Processing speed, pocket presence, and ball security are the most important traits a backup can have.  He's there to come in, take whats given, get balls to playmakers, and not turn it over.  Barkley has 21 picks, 10 fumbles over a span of 645 snaps.  He has a low sack rate but an insanely high int rate.  

Edited by dneveu

37 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Dalton isnt a great QB but he is capable starter. I think he will take a lot less money to go to the Pats where he will start. Time for the Pats to start renogatiating contracts. 

This.

Interestingly the top story on the Pats website today is "Just because we didn't take a QB don't presume Stidham is the guy." 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If I have to predict anything I would say that he goes to Jacksonville as a backup who competes for a starting job. Patriots would be the next likely destination. 

I think Pittsburgh would be interesting.  Their season fell apart last year because all their backups are terrible.  Roethlisberger has missed time in 4 of 5 seasons, he's 38... they should have a backup plan.