Andy Dalton Released

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that will be the cost. Jameis just signed for $1.1M. Sanu will he gone and they will tweak a bunch of things and kick Dalton money to 2021. They will sign Thuney to lower his cap hit and slide Dalton in. They can make this work.

If the plan is Dalton, don't you keep Sanu? They played together from 12-15 and have that familiarity. 

The Pats could easily get Newton or Dalton if they want to fit him in.  They can create cap space pretty easily with a couple cuts.  But if they dont think those guys are the answer long term I think they may just go with Stidham.   I think Dalton would be Bill's choice over Cam but he may not want either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe, I just don't see it.  Does Dalton make this team a SB contender?  I don't think it does.  So why delay the evaluation of Stidham before the 2021 draft.  This team needs a reset, I guess it comes down to BB ego allowing that reset

That’s what I’m banking on. Honestly, I’m not sure that the Patriots can win the division even with Dalton. With that being said BB isn’t going to let Brady and Gronk go to Tampa and compete while his team is 6-10. He’s going to try to be better. It probably (almost certainly) isn’t the best long-term strategy but it’s the one that I think they will employ. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If the plan is Dalton, don't you keep Sanu? They played together from 12-15 and have that familiarity. 

That will be tough to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

good call, did not think of them

no way can Marone and Crew survive a tank year..dont see it

Yet, how can they avoid it?

Are they going to go with Minshew the whole season?

The Jaguars are definitely favorites for the top pick in next year's draft.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe, I just don't see it.  Does Dalton make this team a SB contender?  I don't think it does.  So why delay the evaluation of Stidham before the 2021 draft.  This team needs a reset, I guess it comes down to BB ego allowing that reset

While I think their roster can be solid, would they prefer tank mode?  I think Belechik is too old and has too much ego for that. Additionally, I don’t recall NE being a team that has drafted particularly well, even during their glory years. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s what I’m banking on. Honestly, I’m not sure that the Patriots can win the division even with Dalton. With that being said BB isn’t going to let Brady and Gronk go to Tampa and compete while his team is 6-10. He’s going to try to be better. It probably (almost certainly) isn’t the best long-term strategy but it’s the one that I think they will employ. 

I think he believes he can do for Stidham what he believes he did for Brady. 

• Like (+1) 2

Dalton being released caused me to have this reaction:

One thing that impresses me about Beane (and McDermott) is that Beane is patient.    He thinks about all the opportunities, and he understands what opportunities may be coming down the road.  So, for example, Beane (and probably every GM in the league) knew there was a good chance Dalton would be released.   Cap circumstances and team-building logic suggested that the time was coming for the Bengals to move on.  

Now, the Bills probably have no interest in Dalton, and I'm not suggesting they should.   He's a better player and probably a marginally better mentor for Allen than Barkley, but neither of them is the future.   Plus, Dalton probably wants a realistic chance to start, and he'll cost too much.   

The point is that a good GM is patient.   A lot of things change around the NFL in a few weeks or a few months, and change brings opportunity.   GMs need to wait and be prepared to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves.   When the Eagles called and asked if the BIlls were interested in Shady McCoy, Rex was ready.  When it looked like the Vikings might be willing to move Diggs, Beane was ready.   Beane didn't overspend on Diggs mid-season last year - he waited.   Beane didn't trade up in the draft - he waited and Epenesa fell to him.   He didn't chase a running back - he waited and Moss fell to him. 

And so it is with Belichick.   He has the confidence to wait.   He didn't chase after a new QB in the draft.   He's taking his time, checking options, and if he thinks that Dalton is right for his team, he'll move.   

Patience.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I think he believes he can do for Stidham what he believes he did for Brady. 

I hope that you are right. I don’t see anything about Stidham that I like. If the rumors are true that McDaniels was pushing for Cam it likely means he doesn’t believe in Stidham either. That’s admittedly speculation on my part but if he thought Stidham was “next” he’d have been all about it. It would be a chance for him to look like a genius. 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hope that you are right. I don’t see anything about Stidham that I like. If the rumors are true that McDaniels was pushing for Cam it likely means he doesn’t believe in Stidham either. That’s admittedly speculation on my part but if he thought Stidham was “next” he’d have been all about it. It would be a chance for him to look like a genius. 

He’s only thrown like 4 passes, right? Basically rolling with a rookie 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I can't believe that Belicheat's plan was to wait for a QB to be released, versus going with a guy he chose in the draft and has been grooming for the past year.  And Dalton doesn't worry me in any case. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yet, how can they avoid it?

Are they going to go with Minshew the whole season?

The Jaguars are definitely favorites for the top pick in next year's draft.

Minshew was pretty damn good for a rookie who got no first team reps in the offseason.  If Josh throws for 21 TDs, 6 INTs, and 3,300 yards while completing 61% of his passes next year, his biggest supporters will be taking victory laps all over TBD.  Minshew did that in 12 starts and managed to run for 350 yards to boot.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Would never want him as a starter but would make a great backup imo

IMO in a good system he can be a good starter. Remember that one year?

This year, the Pats aren't going to have a good offence. But if they sign him and put some skill players around him he could be very good, I think.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have to ask. What QB was out there, that the Bills could have drafted or signed, that would look better than Josh Allen?

You are correct. We did beat them. 

Winston, Cam, and/ or Dalton.  It’s not even a knock on Dalton because those guys have all had big moments in the nfl.  But in an open competition at training camp, do I think they could look better than Allen? Absolutely. 

that’s why I think Flacco would be the best option.  He’s better than Barkley (nice guy!) and has real playoff experience so I don’t think the season is over if he has to play.  But he’s not good enough to really threaten Allen at this point.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

That’s a little aggressive. 

Allen is way more handsome than Dalton (gets a lot closer if Dalton dyes his hair).  Normal Cam is pretty close but Allen wins over weirdo Cam.