Bills 2020 roster is the most talented since when? The deepest since when?

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Fixed it for you.

Thanks I didn't know that pandemics could talk, enforce rules and govern over people.  If so, I wouldn't have voted for the pandemic. That's a powerful virus and must be removed from holding office.  News flash. The pandemic caused the problem. The government and corporations closed everything down. You can go back and refix it again.

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

it’s hard to believe we actually had a better defense in 99-00, but should have a more talented offense than at that time.  Teams eventually figured out how to defend against Flutie, and Johnson was a tool.

1993 was more talented though.

Love, Love, Loved watching that Ted Cottrell Defense. That was how I started to feel under Schwartz . Solid, no gimmick, punch you in the mouth D.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

As much as I love our roster I still think our O-line is still very average at best.  I think the rest of the roster is as deep and talented that it has been in 20 years.  Biggest wildcard is Josh and what he does with all the play making talent around him

During the 88 preseason, the O-line was considered a major weakness and there was a lot of trepidation going in. 
     Then Thurman came in and just killed it and suddenly it was a strength.

Having a legit number one receiver and a legit one two punch at RB is going to immediately make the line better. Josh won’t have to hold it as long simply due to Diggs being on the field.

Daboll and Allen need to take steps forward and I think they will. Daboll had to reign Allen in early last season. He shouldn’t have to as much, if at all, this year.

Man, I cant wait to see them play??

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I think the answer is 1999..

2014 and  especially 2015 were very talented teams.  A bunch of players from those rosters have had productive seasons with other teams.   But subpar coaching, QB play and probably lack of leadership at player level  prevented more success. 

With even average QB play and competent coaching, That 2015 team definitely had the talent to make the playoffs and be dangerous enough to beat anyone in 1 game.  Think last years Titans.

15 hours ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

As much as I love our roster I still think our O-line is still very average at best.  I think the rest of the roster is as deep and talented that it has been in 20 years.  Biggest wildcard is Josh and what he does with all the play making talent around him

Analytically speaking the biggest correlation to good OLine play over numerous years of study is continuity. We have that.

46 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Thanks I didn't know that pandemics could talk, enforce rules and govern over people.  If so, I wouldn't have voted for the pandemic. That's a powerful virus and must be removed from holding office.  News flash. The pandemic caused the problem. The government and corporations closed everything down. You can go back and refix it again.

That was actually the LEAST prickish response I could have imagined to my post, and I mean that sincerely. Thanks.

Just responding to the potential nudge towards an anti-science/anti-public health stance there. But that's not terribly football-related, so I'll just return to "our" original point here: FINALLY the Bills are poised for success, and a damned public health crisis shuts it down. Or whatever you want to call it. Of course. Because we're cursed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

The depth question is a tough one to answer. How many here are familiar with all 60 Buffalo Bills rosters from the past? I can say that this roster's depth is as good as any in the NFL right now. How many previous Bills teams could have ever said that? Maybe the early 90's and mid-60's rosters.

The talent question is also tough. Are we referring to pure physical talent? If so, the Rex Ryan teams should be part of the discussion. If we are talking about actualized talent, I would say there's potential for skipping over 1999 and 1995 and moving right into 1993 territory. A lot will depend on the development and production of 6 players: Allen (year 3), Singletary (year 2), Diggs (year 6), Oliver (year 2), Edmunds (year 3), and White (year 4). I'm highlighting these 6 because I think they have the most potential on the roster to become Hall of Famers one day. And please note that I used the word "potential."

The roster during the Super Bowl years was very strong, which is kind of an obvious thing to say.  The current one is very good too, but I agree that some of the young talent on this roster has unrealized upside/potential.  It would not shock me if they fail to make the Super Bowl this year as there are a few other very strong rosters in the AFC (mostly Baltimore and KC, though the Titans are no slouches either).  The nice thing about the Bills roster is it looks like a window is just opening this year to be a Super Bowl contender.  We need to see if the young talent continues to get better.  If it does, that window should stay open for a while, and may open even wider.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:24 AM, RealKayAdams said:

The depth question is a tough one to answer. How many here are familiar with all 60 Buffalo Bills rosters from the past? I can say that this roster's depth is as good as any in the NFL right now. How many previous Bills teams could have ever said that? Maybe the early 90's and mid-60's rosters.

The talent question is also tough. Are we referring to pure physical talent? If so, the Rex Ryan teams should be part of the discussion. If we are talking about actualized talent, I would say there's potential for skipping over 1999 and 1995 and moving right into 1993 territory. A lot will depend on the development and production of 6 players: Allen (year 3), Singletary (year 2), Diggs (year 6), Oliver (year 2), Edmunds (year 3), and White (year 4). I'm highlighting these 6 because I think they have the most potential on the roster to become Hall of Famers one day. And please note that I used the word "potential."

Who are You and what have you done with Kay Adams?

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 1:56 AM, first_and_ten said:

I change my answer. I forgot about that team. If it wasn't for the Music City Miracle, the Bills go to the Superbowl and might win.

I think they would have won.  If Ralph didn’t force Wade to play that moron Johnson who threw for a whopping 166 yards, we would have won due to the defense.  I used to get in arguments back then as people in Tampa thought the Bucs had the best defense.  I reminded them they were #2, we were #1.

Ill never forget that goal line stand against the Jets for four downs and stopped them every time.  I know the Rams were incredible on offense back then, but our defense would have contained them.

As much as I can’t stand PFF, the guy yesterday on WGR mentioned as opposed to having the most talented players, were are one of the best in not having flaws.  He did of course (I think it’s in their contracts) mention the biggest ? Is Allen.  He’s not wrong, but why do they feel so obligated to keep bringing up the negatives on Allen.  Funny, almost in the same breath they talk about how dynamic Newton is as a QB.  What they don’t say if you exclude two games from last year is Newton 6 of 8 years was in the low to high 50’s % wise for completions.

He did rush more than Allen some years, but Allen avg. around 500 per season isn’t bad at all.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:46 PM, Buffalo Boy said:

Love, Love, Loved watching that Ted Cottrell Defense. That was how I started to feel under Schwartz . Solid, no gimmick, punch you in the mouth D.

Except the run defense was dreadful

I thought the 2003 Bills on paper were amazing..  DOminant caliber defense with names and more than enough offense. One of the biggest underachieving teams in franchise history. 

On 4/30/2020 at 10:13 PM, Reks Ryan said:

I think the answer is 1999..

2014 and  especially 2015 were very talented teams.  A bunch of players from those rosters have had productive seasons with other teams.   But subpar coaching, QB play and probably lack of leadership at player level  prevented more success. 

With even average QB play and competent coaching, That 2015 team definitely had the talent to make the playoffs and be dangerous enough to beat anyone in 1 game.  Think last years Titans.

I think 2003 was as talented as any of these teams.