Bills 2020 roster is the most talented since when? The deepest since when?

Big Turk

This Bills roster is both talented and deep...no real weaknesses. Quality depth at almost every position and sometimes multiple quality depth players at a position...

So...when was the last time the Bills fielded a more talented roster? When was the last time they had a deeper roster?

Talented...I am going to say probably 1995, near the end of the Kelly era...

Deep maybe 1993...I think this might be one of the deepest rosters I have ever seen for the Bills and that says a lot...

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

It's the Billsy-est thing of all time.

It really is. Brady finally at age 60 leaves the Pats, we’re clearly most talented team in the division, and a 100 year pandemic hits the US shutting down everything 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This Bills roster is both talented and deep...no real weaknesses. Quality depth at almost every position and sometimes multiple quality depth players at a position...

So...when was the last time the Bills fielded a more talented roster? When was the last time they had a deeper roster?

Deep maybe 1993...I think this might be one of the deepest rosters I have ever seen for the Bills and that says a lot...

2003 roster was pretty solid. Though we lost Price and drafted Josh Reed which was a step down, the rest was pretty talented.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2003_roster.htm

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

2003 roster was pretty solid. Though we lost Price and drafted Josh Reed which was a step down, the rest was pretty talented.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2003_roster.htm

Ughh that roster hurt my eyes just seeing it.

I dont even remember FS izel reese??? Ryan Denney ugghh .. OG mike pucilio?? ... Mike Williams at RT yikes ... LB James "got slow motion juked by Pennington" Posey... The human statue Drew Bledsoe at QB.

I forget were we tanking that year?? We should have traded anyone worth a high pick like Moulds, R. Brown, Schobel, etc and started from scratch.

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I would have to agree with your 1993 take. It's not as talented as that team, but the most talented since

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I really like the 1998/1999 team; here’s why:

- number one defense in the league that season

- Doug Flutie with his excellent experience leading the team and many other seasoned veterans still on the roster (Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Phil Hansen just to name a few). Sure they were at or near the end of their careers, but the experience they offered can’t be underestimated.

- A really strong running game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Ughh that roster hurt my eyes just seeing it.

I dont even remember FS izel reese??? Ryan Denney ugghh .. OG mike pucilio?? ... Mike Williams at RT yikes ... LB James "got slow motion juked by Pennington" Posey... The human statue Drew Bledsoe at QB.

I forget were we tanking that year?? We should have traded anyone worth a high pick like Moulds, R. Brown, Schobel, etc and started from scratch.

Can you name a roster during the drought that had as much as that one. Is it ideal? No, but compared to what followed the next 14 years it at least made Sundays watchable. We finally have a quality team but you're gonna act like we've been in contention the last 2 decades? As a Bills fan that 2003 roster was as good as it got up until now. The core of that team went 8-8, 6-10, and 9-7 from 02-04 in a division when the Pats were dominating. Go ahead and give me a better roster from then until last season.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I really like the 1998/1999 team; here’s why:

- number one defense in the league that season

- Doug Flutie with his excellent experience leading the team and many other seasoned veterans still on the roster (Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Phil Hansen just to name a few). Sure they were at or near the end of their careers, but the experience they offered can’t be underestimated.

- A really strong running game.

I change my answer. I forgot about that team. If it wasn't for the Music City Miracle, the Bills go to the Superbowl and might win.

I think it is the deepest roster of my fandom. In terms of most talented.... I still think that 2015 roster was an extremely talented one and probably had more proven top end performers (we had just sent 3 of our 4 Dlinemen and a couple of our Oline to the probowl in 2014). Where this roster is certainly more talented though is at the most important spot - Quarterback. 

And the problem in 2015 was the roster had not fully bee built for that coach and the buffoon we had in the headset had no idea how to use it.  This roster has been built to McDermott's specifications. And McDermott can coach. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 7

The '99-'00 team was pretty good.  Defense was outstanding finishing 2nd in points allowed and 1st in yards allowed.  Offense was middle of the pack with a decent group of WR's (Moulds, Price, Reed) and RB's (Smith, Linton).  QB play held us back from winning the division and getting a bye.  Special teams obviously was horrible.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

I would have to agree with your 1993 take. It's not as talented as that team, but the most talented since

it’s hard to believe we actually had a better defense in 99-00, but should have a more talented offense than at that time.  Teams eventually figured out how to defend against Flutie, and Johnson was a tool.

1993 was more talented though.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The depth question is a tough one to answer. How many here are familiar with all 60 Buffalo Bills rosters from the past? I can say that this roster's depth is as good as any in the NFL right now. How many previous Bills teams could have ever said that? Maybe the early 90's and mid-60's rosters.

The talent question is also tough. Are we referring to pure physical talent? If so, the Rex Ryan teams should be part of the discussion. If we are talking about actualized talent, I would say there's potential for skipping over 1999 and 1995 and moving right into 1993 territory. A lot will depend on the development and production of 6 players: Allen (year 3), Singletary (year 2), Diggs (year 6), Oliver (year 2), Edmunds (year 3), and White (year 4). I'm highlighting these 6 because I think they have the most potential on the roster to become Hall of Famers one day. And please note that I used the word "potential."

I think the correct answer is 1999.  I absolutely believed that if the Bills had beaten the Titans they were headed to the Super Bowl.  That defense was nasty, and even though Flutie was in decline they had a very good running game and Eric Moulds.

These are exciting times to be a Bills fan, particularly if you also believe Josh Allen's best football is ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1