THIS is the Bills Cowboys game you want to re-watch

WhoTom

2 hours ago, Unsavory Peterman said:

It blows my mind how well those SB teams played the NFC east in the regular season only to choke when it mattered.  #itstillhurts

Agreed.   I believe we were something ridiculous like 14-2 against the NFC during the SB years and I think both losses were week 17 games where the starters were resting. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Unsavory Peterman said:

It blows my mind how well those SB teams played the NFC east in the regular season only to choke when it mattered.  #itstillhurts

Two words.............

Ted Washington.

The Bills biggest weakness during the SB era was not having big bodies up front to protect Bruce.

It crippled them in the SB’s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

Two words.............

Ted Washington.

The Bills biggest weakness during the SB era was not having big bodies up front to protect Bruce.

I am too young to remember the 1991 draft, but was there an effort to try to trade up ahead of SF to take Ted ?

9 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I am too young to remember the 1991 draft, but was there an effort to try to trade up ahead of SF to take Ted ?

It was reported that they tried to get ahead of Frisco, but nothing substantiated.

My point is that if the Bills had a Ted Washington type throughout their SB runs, it would have been different.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

It was reported that they tried to get ahead of Frisco, but nothing substantiated.

My point is that if the Bills had a Ted Washington type throughout their SB runs, it would have been different.

Ted Washington-type, no doubt about it.

The actual Ted Washington back then though wasn't that impressive. Niners traded him to the Broncos after 3 years for a 5th-round draft pick. He looked better in Denver, but he didn't come into his own until he joined the Bills as a UFA.  I remember I wasn't expecting much from him, all the buzz in 1995 was for Bryce Paup.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

The actual Ted Washington back then though wasn't that impressive. Niners traded him to the Broncos after 3 years for a 5th-round draft pick. He looked better in Denver, but he didn't come into his own until he joined the Bills as a UFA.  I remember I wasn't expecting much from him, all the buzz in 1995 was for Bryce Paup.

This is all true.

Bill Polian's biggest mistake though was not protecting Bruce with big DLmen.

Jeff Wright and Leon Seals, both barely 260 pounds weren't going to cut it against the NFC teams and Phil Hansen started his career at 255 pounds.

19 hours ago, njbuff said:

Two words.............

Ted Washington.

A big guy in the center probably would have won the first Super Bowl when Anderson ran wild. The other three would have been losses regardless imo. The fact the offense didn’t show up to play for any of those games was a lot to overcome when those Bills teams were built on offense.

Edited by SirAndrew

15 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I am not...was late 20's then. Draft was not then what it is now. Maybe a Street and Smiths if you were flying somewhere, or going in the hospital etc. The focus was no where near what it is now. I will guarantee him playing at Lousiville meant I had no clue who he was, as Louisville ws prolly never on TV. 

4 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

A big guy in the center probably would have won the first Super Bowl when Anderson ran wild. The other three would have been losses regardless imo. The fact the offense didn’t show up to play for any of those games was a lot to overcome when those Bills teams were built on offense.

That was the biggest head scratcher of them all.

They didn't face one all time defense and they should have done a lot more.

I also think that the AFC Championship against Denver was the clincher as to why the Bills were never winning a SB.

They allowed Denver to come into their building and punish them with their D and the NFC teams took that game plan and ran with it in the proceeding 3 SB's.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rico said:

Ted Washington became a difference maker thanks to Wade Phillips.

When Wade joined us, he brought Ted with him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That was the biggest head scratcher of them all.

They didn't face one all time defense and they should have done a lot more.

I also think that the AFC Championship against Denver was the clincher as to why the Bills were never winning a SB.

They allowed Denver to come into their building and punish them with their D and the NFC teams took that game plan and ran with it in the proceeding 3 SB's.

Those Super Bowl teams had some amazing talent on D, but this team still won with offense. You couldn’t expect them to shutout teams in the Super Bowl, that’s not how it went during the regular season. When I look back at the Redskins game, and the two Cowboys Super Bowls, the offense didn’t help out the D much either. Fumbles and interceptions were the norm during our Super Bowl appearances. That was never how our offense played during the regular season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just watched this game twice (back to back)... HOLY GUACAMOLE! Those refs were paid off... there is no other explanation. That was one of the most lopsided reffed games I have ever seen, and we still dominated the Cowgirls! This team has some real grit. GO BILLS!