Did the rise of the Bills have any influence in Brady moving on?

He went there simply because they have a crap ton of offensive talent, he doesn’t have to put up with BB, and oh yeah he lives in heaven in Tampa.  I love Buffalo, born and raised, but this is a great city in Tampa.  Brady also has a coach people absolutely love in Arians.  Brady was smart, and I can’t believe living here I’m going to have to root for the bastage and Gronk.  

People are going bananas down here and even at his age with This WR crew and TE’s, he’ll have a good year.  Not saying they are winning the NFCS, but they will be better.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I honestly believe Tom Brady spends more time worrying about whether Godzilla is real than he does about the Buffalo Bills being a concern to him.

The only little thing I base that on is that in the entire 100 year history of the NFL no qb has defeated another team more than Brady has beaten the Bills. 

“No qb” in this instance means no human being now alive, or who has ever existed.

...Mothra would probably be ahead of us, too.

To be fair, no team in the NFL has probably lost to another QB at the rate Brady has beaten everybody. His win % is like .778. Works out to a career average of 12-4...20 year average. It’s pretty wild. 

But otherwise I totally agree with you. 

• Like (+1) 2

No way the Pats, or Brady, are afraid of Buffalo.  I'm sure they respect the Bills, but that would not cause Brady to move on.  Brady and Belichick just moved on from each other...a breakup, if you will.

At first I kind of discounted this topic, but then I started to think about it. 

While I don't think that this is the reason, Buffalo's defense did make The Greatest quaterback of All Time  look like a below average quarterback last year. He was under duress.

So while likely not the main reason, maybe it's  one of the reasons.

If you were an aging quarterback, one of the oldest to ever play in the NFL, would you want to play against the Bills two more times next year? 

And what if you were also the most successful quarterback ever, would you want to face this defense 2, maybe 3 times next year?

The Bucs, 15th in the NFL in total defense, have the best defense in that division.  So, makes sense.  Brady isn't the best QB ever because of amazing physical attributes, but because of football intelligence and due diligence.

“Tom Brady, who presently holds a record of 29–3 against the Bills with 68 touchdowns and 21 interceptions and has won more games in New Era Field than any quarterback for Buffalo since 2001”.

Probably not afraid to beat the Bills again. I’m glad he’s gone. Probably just tired of Belechick. 

Edited by PIZ

The reading comprehension around here never ceases to amaze me, it’s unbelievable! At what point does it confuse anyone around here by me saying “any influence”?? How does anyone draw the conclusion of Brady being afraid or that the rise of the Bills is THE main reason for him leaving the division??! 

The majority of the national pundits are predicting the Bills to win the division. They are saying it, not me. Furthermore early last season, especially after they played, Brady was apologetic in that they had to rely on their great defense to pull out those early games. I will say that from this point forward Brady would not be enjoying the success against the Bills like previously in his career. He would not be able to accomplish anything more or better against the Bills. He would be diminishing and at this stage of his career why in the world would he risk looking worse, only to strengthen the perception that he is over the hill. Playing for New England at this stage against ANYBODY would not bode well for him or his legacy. The Patriots have plenty of their own woes with or without Brady. A defense that was ravaged in free agency, an unsettled OL, lack of  quality WRs and playmakers and a franchise that has some serious salary cap issues that is not able to  afford Brady the kind of help that he, or anyone else, would need to succeed there. Compound that with a doormat that they, he, were able to slap around at will that suddenly has a very talented and deep DL. Don’t believe me, then go read the numerous threads that are posted on this message board stating how great and deep our DL is. Ha, most of you make me laugh. 

Yeah, it doesn’t serve Brady well to stay in this division, regardless of the Bills. Criticize me for what I write, not what you comprehend. Maybe I shouldn’t of said that, it might be too deep for some of you.

That might make sense if he wasn't moving to a division with Drew Brees & Matt Ryan...

Compared to Josh Allen, Sam Darnold & whoever the Dolphins trot out any given day, that's nothing.

The Bills going 10-6 one time is hardly worth even remembering when you have the weapons like Tampa Bay has as the lure to go there. Sure, the Bills look to be improving, but you have the godly offense the Bucs have as all the incentive you need, especially with Arians calling the shots.

Couple that with Brady wanting to play to age 45 & the Pats obviously being ready to move on... those are the only reasons he left the AFC East, not any fear of the Bills.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

That might make sense if he wasn't moving to a division with Drew Brees & Matt Ryan...

Compared to Josh Allen, Sam Darnold & whoever the Dolphins trot out any given day, that's nothing.

The Bills going 10-6 one time is hardly worth even remembering when you have the weapons like Tampa Bay has as the lure to go there. Sure, the Bills look to be improving, but you have the godly offense the Bucs have as all the incentive you need, especially with Arians calling the shots.

Couple that with Brady wanting to play to age 45 & the Pats obviously being ready to move on... those are the only reasons he left the AFC East, not any fear of the Bills.

Ok, I appreciate your input, I really do, but I never even alluded to Brady being afraid of Buffalo, never. Also I’m not talking about our’s or anyone else’s offense, that has no bearing whatsoever for Brady because as far as weapons go Brady has plenty at his disposal down there in Tampa. I’m talking about the lack of weapons that he would have up in New England against our division, especially against us who has a much better defense than any one of those 3 teams down there in the NFC South.

Does anyone think that if Brady stayed in New England this year that him and the Patriots would win the division? Me personally I don’t think so. Matter of fact I think that if they split the head to head with us that would be the ceiling. Never say never but at this point of what is currently going on between these 2 teams I’d be pretty surprised if they were able to sweep us this year. Once again, I’m not the only one expecting that, there’s plenty of national “experts” saying and thinking the same thing.

Belichick's coaching style and lack of weapons is why he left.  Nothing more.  He still went 2-0 against the best Bills team since '99 with anemic weapons so I highly doubt it factored AT ALL into his decision.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Except Bill apparently tried to trade Brady a couple of times, so his ego was always there.  Old Robert was the one who blocked the trades.

Rumor also has it that Bob Kraft stepped in to stop Belichick trading Brady to keep Garoppolo.

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The reading comprehension around here never ceases to amaze me, it’s unbelievable! At what point does it confuse anyone around here by me saying “any influence”?? How does anyone draw the conclusion of Brady being afraid or that the rise of the Bills is THE main reason for him leaving the division??! 

The majority of the national pundits are predicting the Bills to win the division. They are saying it, not me. Furthermore early last season, especially after they played, Brady was apologetic in that they had to rely on their great defense to pull out those early games. I will say that from this point forward Brady would not be enjoying the success against the Bills like previously in his career. He would not be able to accomplish anything more or better against the Bills. He would be diminishing and at this stage of his career why in the world would he risk looking worse, only to strengthen the perception that he is over the hill. Playing for New England at this stage against ANYBODY would not bode well for him or his legacy. The Patriots have plenty of their own woes with or without Brady. A defense that was ravaged in free agency, an unsettled OL, lack of  quality WRs and playmakers and a franchise that has some serious salary cap issues that is not able to  afford Brady the kind of help that he, or anyone else, would need to succeed there. Compound that with a doormat that they, he, were able to slap around at will that suddenly has a very talented and deep DL. Don’t believe me, then go read the numerous threads that are posted on this message board stating how great and deep our DL is. Ha, most of you make me laugh. 

Yeah, it doesn’t serve Brady well to stay in this division, regardless of the Bills. Criticize me for what I write, not what you comprehend. Maybe I shouldn’t of said that, it might be too deep for some of you.

There's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension.  The Bills' rise in the AFCE had no influence on Brady's decision.  Since 2000 the Bills have only been, at best, a blip on the Pats' radar screen.  The last time the Bills beat the Pats, Jacoby Brissett a rookie QB in his first NFL start when Brady was under suspension in 2016.

Oh yeah, Brady spanking us 25 times really entered into the decision............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(rolls eyes)

11 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This would make sense if it was related to the defense of the teams in the division, not the quality of the quarterbacks.

I cannot imagine Tom Brady being intimidated by any quarterback in the NFL; he has no reason to be, logically.

BUT, I can see him being intimidated by a great defense, like the Bills have, 2nd best in the NFL, and which none of the teams in the NFC South have--the Bucs are the best there, 16th in the NFL.