NCAA rules student-athletes can be compensated for endorsements, promotions, social media

YoloinOhio

NCAA's hand forced by state governments moving in this direction.

I don't think this ends up benefiting too many kids....and pretty much just those who are going to make bank in the NFL or NBA anyway.   Lots of lawyers probably get paid though.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, DJB said:

Its huge news. Should help to take Madden to the next level as well as an NCAA Madden type NFL game as well. 

I imagine this improves the odds of an NCAA game in the near future from 0% to some non-zero-but-close %. As the last tweet mentions, they deemed video games featuring the players' likenesses to be unworkable at the moment since there is no players union. I think a college video game will happen at some point, but for example, if they wanted to get every FBS scholarship player into one union, it would be larger than the entire NFLPA (including retired players). And they'd obviously have a ton of people joining that union with each passing year.

The video game developer would then have to decide how much using college players' likenesses is worth. If they currently spend roughly $40 million to use NFL players' likenesses, what is an appropriate amount to pay for college players? If it's $40 million, you're talking about roughly $3,600 per player. If they decide it's more like $20 million, then obviously that ends up being more like $1,800 per player, and at that point, would the players agree? It's "free money" but still, not sure.

I guess not everyone enjoyed the college games in the same exact way that I did, but I personally didn't care at all about having real players in the game. I would generally start out at a school where I didn't know any of the players anyways and once you're a couple years in, all the real players were gone. I don't really see the need to have player likenesses in college games at all. But it seems that either video game companies have numbers that suggest getting the player likeness is a huge deal for their sales, or they simply didn't make as much money off the college games and use the player likeness issue as an excuse to get out of the market. Either way, it seems like if companies felt that a college game without player likenesses would work, we would have had it by now. And even with this announcement, a deal where a video game pays for player likenesses seems to be a very long ways away still.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/30/2020 at 8:55 AM, DCOrange said:

I imagine this improves the odds of an NCAA game in the near future from 0% to some non-zero-but-close %. As the last tweet mentions, they deemed video games featuring the players' likenesses to be unworkable at the moment since there is no players union. I think a college video game will happen at some point, but for example, if they wanted to get every FBS scholarship player into one union, it would be larger than the entire NFLPA (including retired players). And they'd obviously have a ton of people joining that union with each passing year.

The video game developer would then have to decide how much using college players' likenesses is worth. If they currently spend roughly $40 million to use NFL players' likenesses, what is an appropriate amount to pay for college players? If it's $40 million, you're talking about roughly $3,600 per player. If they decide it's more like $20 million, then obviously that ends up being more like $1,800 per player, and at that point, would the players agree? It's "free money" but still, not sure.

I guess not everyone enjoyed the college games in the same exact way that I did, but I personally didn't care at all about having real players in the game. I would generally start out at a school where I didn't know any of the players anyways and once you're a couple years in, all the real players were gone. I don't really see the need to have player likenesses in college games at all. But it seems that either video game companies have numbers that suggest getting the player likeness is a huge deal for their sales, or they simply didn't make as much money off the college games and use the player likeness issue as an excuse to get out of the market. Either way, it seems like if companies felt that a college game without player likenesses would work, we would have had it by now. And even with this announcement, a deal where a video game pays for player likenesses seems to be a very long ways away still.

Was my favorite game of all time, was a devastated when it got axed. I still have a 360 and the last version of the game and bust it out from time to time. Lots of Mods out there to the game if you want to keep playing it in a more updated way. If you asked most college football players (plenty of articles on this) many were very pissed and found a ton of satisfaction being in the game. I do think we will see a deal cut with the actual universities for team logos and stadium use and or a fully customized game where the community can essentially build whatever they want in the next 2 years. I have no interest in Madden, never really did outside of it's really early years. I did love Front Page Sports Pro Football on the Computer, that was a sim well beyond it's time, I also love the 2k NFL series which is probably among the best football games ever made. Unfortunately EA just swallowed everybody on exclusive rights. No competition. No good products. Just marginal updates each year.   Not sure if that's how you feel as well. Vent over.   

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Was my favorite game of all time, was a devastated when it got axed. I still have a 360 and the last version of the game and bust it out from time to time. Lots of Mods out there to the game if you want to keep playing it in a more updated way. If you asked most college football players (plenty of articles on this) many were very pissed and found a ton of satisfaction being in the game. I do think we will see a deal cut with the actual universities for team logos and stadium use and or a fully customized game where the community can essentially build whatever they want in the next 2 years. I have no interest in Madden, never really did outside of it's really early years. I did love Front Page Sports Pro Football on the Computer, that was a sim well beyond it's time, I also love the 2k NFL series which is probably among the best football games ever made. Unfortunately EA just swallowed everybody on exclusive rights. No competition. No good products. Just marginal updates each year.   Not sure if that's how you feel as well. Vent over.   

Outside of Front Page Sports, which I never played, I agree with everything you just wrote.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but the NFL and 2K reached a deal so 2K will begin making some sort of NFL game moving forwards, though the deal specifies that it cannot be "a sim game" or something like that. At least not yet; seems like it could be a step towards the NFL opening it up to both EA and 2K competing with one another again. I can only hope. I just bought myself a copy of NFL 2K5 to try to play and I've recently busted NCAA 14 back out as well.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.