Pats / Bengals videotaping... still no punishment

Same sh1t, different day.

Until such time as the league does do something about it, Belichick will continue to pull this crap.

McDermott basically chased his son off of our sidelines before we played them at home.

If they didn't think they could get some sort of advantage, they wouldn't be trying to pull this garbage.

As to the notion that they didn't know the rules, well Belichick has made a living from bending them as far as possible before breaking them - and they didn't know the rules?

Tbh, I'm not sure how far they can go with sanctions. Doesn't seem like fines or picks hurt them too much. Maybe it's time to start taking games away from them. So, for example, whatever their record is in 2020, they lose an extra couple of games. You might have to refine their draft position also, so they can't just tank and get a QB, but some sort of combination should be able to be worked out that gives them a hard time.

Part of the problem is that they, as an organisation, have been doing it for so long, that it's almost institutionalised within 'the patriot way'.

5 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Same sh1t, different day.

Until such time as the league does do something about it, Belichick will continue to pull this crap.

McDermott basically chased his son off of our sidelines before we played them at home.

If they didn't think they could get some sort of advantage, they wouldn't be trying to pull this garbage.

As to the notion that they didn't know the rules, well Belichick has made a living from bending them as far as possible before breaking them - and they didn't know the rules?

Tbh, I'm not sure how far they can go with sanctions. Doesn't seem like fines or picks hurt them too much. Maybe it's time to start taking games away from them. So, for example, whatever their record is in 2020, they lose an extra couple of games. You might have to refine their draft position also, so they can't just tank and get a QB, but some sort of combination should be able to be worked out that gives them a hard time.

Part of the problem is that they, as an organisation, have been doing it for so long, that it's almost institutionalised within 'the patriot way'.

I think there are members of the Patriots on the NFL rules committees.

Conspiracy theory forcing warning ahead: I often thought that this gave the Patriots an advantage in bending the rules and staying out of harms way.

I can't help but wonder if they were giving the Pats time to get through the draft where they were supposed to pick up their QB of the future, which they screwed up by not taking a QB.

Now they're in a pinch if Stidham sucks this year and everyone will be leaning on the NFL to finally dock the Pats draft picks to get their QB in next year's draft.

3 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I think they are hoping people will just forget. After all, they don’t like punishing the Patriots. 

They suspended the greatest qb ever for 4 games and took a 1st round pick.  Are the Pats kinda of a scummy organization? Yup.  But they have one of the greatest runs in sports history.  

I’m so sick of the whining about them.  Yeah, the only reason they curb stomped us for 15 + years is because they cheated. ? I just wish they still had Brady so we can just beat them outright instead of being the jealous little brother that they don’t care about. 

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

That was a walkthrough practice for the game they were then playing against each other.  This was some film crew working on some random content for the patriots website talking about scouts and what they do.  

They're recording the sideline.. I guess you could get something from there that you couldn't from regular film?  Just seems like a lot of work to try and sync that with what is actually happening on the field.  All to see what, guys talking with clipboards in front of their faces?

It does not matter, it is against the rules.   Just because you or I don't know what to do with the tape doesn't mean the Patriots or an NFL staff doesn't.  I can't believe no one has brought up Belichek, at 67 years old, running up and down the 2019 Superbowl sidelines to make sure he was directly across from Sean McVay.  I don't know why Belicheck was running and up the sideline but I am sure it was for a reason if it was one minute before the Superbowl started.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They suspended the greatest qb ever for 4 games and took a 1st round pick.  Are the Pats kinda of a scummy organization? Yup.  But they have one of the greatest runs in sports history.  

I’m so sick of the whining about them.  Yeah, the only reason they curb stomped us for 15 + years is because they cheated. ? I just wish they still had Brady so we can just beat them outright instead of being the jealous little brother that they don’t care about. 

While I am in ?% agreement on wishing they still had Brady so we could return the favor, I’m always shocked by how little of an impact people perceive Spygate to have had on the games. It should be even more obvious with the recent baseball scandals. Back when SpyGate broke there were quotes circulating that were attributed to former Pats OC Charlie Weiss being in total disbelief on the rare losses because they knew every single play the other team was running.

When you know exactly what your opponent is going to do before the play starts, that is a MASSIVE advantage. Last year was proof that they never stopped using that method of cheating. They wouldn’t risk getting caught if it wasn’t that crucial to their success.

15 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

It does not matter, it is against the rules.   Just because you or I don't know what to do with the tape doesn't mean the Patriots or an NFL staff doesn't.  I can't believe no one has brought up Belichek, at 67 years old, running up and down the 2019 Superbowl sidelines to make sure he was directly across from Sean McVay.  I don't know why Belicheck was running and up the sideline but I am sure it was for a reason if it was one minute before the Superbowl started.

Probably for where to point the Microphone for the play calls.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

While I am in ?% agreement on wishing they still had Brady so we could return the favor, I’m always shocked by how little of an impact people perceive Spygate to have had on the games. It should be even more obvious with the recent baseball scandals. Back when SpyGate broke there were quotes circulating that were attributed to former Pats OC Charlie Weiss being in total disbelief on the rare losses because they knew every single play the other team was running.

When you know exactly what your opponent is going to do before the play starts, that is a MASSIVE advantage. Last year was proof that they never stopped using that method of cheating. They wouldn’t risk getting caught if it wasn’t that crucial to their success.

Probably for where to point the Microphone for the play calls.

I think that considering the astros were filming and providing intel during the game that its imo a bigger advantage.  Knowing the pitch thats coming is a huge advantage.  Even if only a few players took advantage of it (bregman, gonzalez, altuve at least)- they lead the league in average, OBP, and slg% all while having the fewest strikeouts.  

I think the investigation of this needs to get back to someone in front office for it to have any legs.  If it was just a cameraman who reports to a producer, who reports to vp of marketing - and there isn't anything evidence wise to involve these tapes ever getting to the coaching staff.  Its hard for me to find them guilty of anything other than a rule violation - and i guess a fine or whatever.  The conspiracy to cheat needs to be there imo for there to be punishment to the football group.  Do any of the tapes  ever go to Bill?  What's on the majority of the tapes?

Edited by dneveu

29 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think that considering the astros were filming and providing intel during the game that its imo a bigger advantage.  Knowing the pitch thats coming is a huge advantage.  Even if only a few players took advantage of it (bregman, gonzalez, altuve at least)- they lead the league in average, OBP, and slg% all while having the fewest strikeouts.  

I think the investigation of this needs to get back to someone in front office for it to have any legs.  If it was just a cameraman who reports to a producer, who reports to vp of marketing - and there isn't anything evidence wise to involve these tapes ever getting to the coaching staff.  Its hard for me to find them guilty of anything other than a rule violation - and i guess a fine or whatever.  The conspiracy to cheat needs to be there imo for there to be punishment to the football group.  Do any of the tapes  ever go to Bill?  What's on the majority of the tapes?

Taping and then stealing signs in football would get you the play in advance.  Knowing a play in football is a much bigger advantage than knowing a pitch in baseball.  I can appreciate needing to tie it back to the front office, but they are repeat offenders and I believe one of the folks involved in this issue was involved with the previous jets issue (along with another taping issue with another team).  If there is that much experience with it then theres not an excuse to me.

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

I hate the Patriots too but not sure how you are saying this.  THey have lost multiple first round picks in the past and been fined larger amounts of money than I think other teams have.

LOL, the Patriots get punished only when they put Goodell in a corner, like Deflategate. Because Brady decided to (literally) make a federal case of it, Goodell had no choice. Otherwise it would have been a $50K fine for soft balls. The league has covered up the Patriots activities for years "to protect the Shield."

24 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Taping and then stealing signs in football would get you the play in advance.  Knowing a play in football is a much bigger advantage than knowing a pitch in baseball.  I can appreciate needing to tie it back to the front office, but they are repeat offenders and I believe one of the folks involved in this issue was involved with the previous jets issue (along with another taping issue with another team).  If there is that much experience with it then theres not an excuse to me.

How would you know the play in advance from viewing the sideline though? 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

After all the spygate stuff - you think they would use a film crew in the media room to do it?  Like a complete lack of subtlety.  At the time Bill said that he was following the rule as he had interpreted it.  So they squashed that rule and punished him.  Now he's going to go some crazy other route to film the bengals sidelines?  I'm certain they pulled every bit of film that that crew shot.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

LOL, the Patriots get punished only when they put Goodell in a corner, like Deflategate. Because Brady decided to (literally) make a federal case of it, Goodell had no choice. Otherwise it would have been a $50K fine for soft balls. The league has covered up the Patriots activities for years "to protect the Shield."

oh, ok

6 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Roger is practicing social distancing so he can't slap their hands 

He will have to pull Kraft's pee pee out of his mouth to slap it 

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

What's on the majority of the tapes?

We would know that, except the league like to destroy the tapes after they "investigate"

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Sounds like someone trying to apply for job in New England.