Cover1 Breakdown of AJ Epenesa

Thanks for posting this, OP.

The thing I hadn't noticed before but stood out to me is his footwork.  They scratched the surface of it with his "karaoke rush", AJ really excels with his multidirectional movement and generating power while doing it.

Where someone like Bruce would have a lot of bend but keep his feet pointed and moving upfield, AJ is completely comfortable turning his feet into the Olineman, moving laterally while shedding the OL and quickly exploding forward to the QB.  It's part of what allows him to quickly knife to the QB.

I agree with others in that he's still a bit raw, but he will be fun to watch grow this season.  Probably a situational pass rusher only for a while.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Chad Leistikow who covered Iowa football was on WGR talking about Epenesa. This is a 12 minute segment that gives you an insight on Epenesa as a player and person. Chad felt that the player's combine time hurt his draft ranking. And because of the virus situation he was not able to improve his time at a practice setting. What is apparent is that Epenesa is a McDermott type of guy. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-29-chad-leistikow-from-the-des-moines-register-on-aj-epenesa

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

The Cover 1 video was great, but to be honest, it just included "wins" and not the full picture of Epenesa's game.   

I watched several complete Iowa games on Youtube, particulary of the grudge match, strong competition and bowl game variety, which is how I like to get the measure of a prospect.   Not every play is a "win" and I learn just as much -- sometimes more -- watching where he didn't make a highlight (or even effective) play.   It's the best way to see the pros and the cons of a player's game, in my estimation.

IMO, Epenesa is a very raw -- but moldable -- player who still has a ton to learn.   But also a guy who can grow to be a better version of Lawson in a year or two.   That might seem like a low ceiling, but a consistent 6.5-7 sack guy who can also set the edge and play the run well in a rotational role is a very valuable player...

Seems like a high ceiling to me!  Getting AJ at 54 with him begin able to eclipse a 1st round pick in short order.   I also think his man-strength power game is gonna translate and flourish after a year or 2 in our strength and conditioning system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Real nice hands.

He was great on passing plays. Knows how win and get to the QB. 

Not as aggressive against the run. A little too slow on the reaction against the RPO..but his job may have just been to hold his lane. So i cant say for sure. 

If his game doesnt get any better...I still see him a a key rotational player for any team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I love the violence Epenesa plays with...he reminds me of the type of player the Ravens or Steelers usually have...

This so much. The RB too. Beane/McD are building that kind of "beat you on the field or beat you in the alley" squad. 

9 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

I had no idea there was a Carioca pass rush!

I only knew about Karaoke Rush. I'll pass.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

The guy has serious power and already knows how to use it.  Get that kid in the high tech weight room and he is going to be hard to move and will create serious pressure on the QB. He has much to learn, but will have lots of opportunity to do so with a great veteran room. I think he is going to be a huge edition to our defense as he develops. 

. I had no idea there was a Carioca pass rush!

Me neither, I thought the guy in the video made it up.

2 hours ago, kenny3000 said:

Seems like a high ceiling to me!  Getting AJ at 54 with him begin able to eclipse a 1st round pick in short order.   I also think his man-strength power game is gonna translate and flourish after a year or 2 in our strength and conditioning system.

Don't think I've seen anyone touch on this yet. The tape shows him getting tackles off-balance with the arm stab, you think, jeez this guy must really be jacked. But not so much: his bench and body fat were low %ile. He's just naturally a bull with an aikido sense of redirecting the opponent's momentum and doing it with core strength and leverage. By year 3, with pro conditioning, he could maybe even gain half a step for the speed rush, and the arm stab might just put a tackle on his ass. To me that's describing your Watts and Seymours.

The more I learn about this pick the more I like it. Like JA, it's crazy to think this kid already does what he does, being as raw as he is.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Epenesa is listed at 275 and Oliver is around 290. Epenesa actually had the highest body fat % of any DE at the combine so it will be interesting to see what the plan is at the gym for him. 

I didn't know that about the body fat. I wonder if playing at 260 - 265 would allow him to play quicker without losing too much strength.

• Like (+1) 2

I didn't follow Iowa. How was the rest of their D line? Did he draw the brunt of the other team's attention? Will Epenesa, as he learns and develops here, be helped by the fact there are quality linemen around him? This is the deepest Bills D line I can ever remember. Solid NFL pros all over the place. Epenesa certainly looks the part and his attitude seems right. I like the fit here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Don't think I've seen anyone touch on this yet. The tape shows him getting tackles off-balance with the arm stab, you think, jeez this guy must really be jacked. But not so much: his bench and body fat were low %ile. He's just naturally a bull with an aikido sense of redirecting the opponent's momentum and doing it with core strength and leverage. By year 3, with pro conditioning, he could maybe even gain half a step for the speed rush, and the arm stab might just put a tackle on his ass. To me that's describing your Watts and Seymours.

The more I learn about this pick the more I like it. Like JA, it's crazy to think this kid already does what he does, being as raw as he is.

exactly - I wondered in another thread whether he’s trained in jiu jitsu - he seems to use similar leverage concepts.

• Like (+1) 1