Beane and McDermott still meet with Bills legends

10 minutes ago, krf139 said:

He's entitled to his, sure.  But I remember Jim feeling insulted when Rex Ryan didn't go out of his way to kiss his rear end.  This shows entitlement and a feeling that he must have a voice.  Jim is welcome to express his opinions on this board, just like I am (we also have the same number of Super Bowl rings).

Nobody - I think it's an unnecessary dog and pony show.  It's time to move beyond the 90s.  Stop clinging to that team.  When you add up all of their Super Bowl rings, it's equal to mine.  I respect those guys and appreciate what they did for the team, but we are in 2020, not 1991.  We have a Ring of Honor where they have their rightful place in Bills history.  Conference calls with the coaching staff is nothing more than kissing their rear ends.  I don't need to hear Thurman on WGR acting like he knows all.  I don't need to see Jimbo inserting himself into different things.  Let's focus on what we have and where we're headed.

Having the Bills legends help out the current team can only help. Obviously the team will listen to the coaches but these former players can provide valuable knowledge playing at the NFL level. Their opinions carry a lot more weight then yours or mine as they played this game and did it successfully. Kelly passing along his knowledge to Allen about reading and understanding defenses. Jim is a HOF QB so I think his opinion matters. Bruce one of the best ever helping AJ playing on the DL is a great benefit for him. Kyle was already helping at training camp last year and the players said he helped them tremendously.  

1 hour ago, krf139 said:

To me, this is a huge waste of time.  Many of these guys likely think they are entitled because they won a bunch of games in the 90s.  That was 25 years ago and has nothing to do with the team today.  While the coaches can do whatever they want, I wish organizations would stop pandering to guys like this.  Sure, let them stand on the sidelines for games.  That's fine.  But when we get into the realm of these guys thinking they are entitled to certain things (as Jim has done in the past), it's trouble.  

For me, this hits multiple fronts.

1) Even though it was 25 years ago, the players and coaches can gleam some insights as to what it took to go to the super bowl 4 times in a row.  A huge accomplishment.

2) Culture.  It shows that the organization does not forget about you (at least the great ones) and that they want you to remain in the Bills culture even after you playing days are done.

3) Player retention. IMO, players are always looking for reasons to move on or stay at organizations (besides $$$).  Some players actually care about the environment they are in.  If you can provide a top notch environment, where the organization shows they care about their players during and after their careers, that one thing could be the tipping point to retaining a player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, krf139 said:

To me, this is a huge waste of time.  Many of these guys likely think they are entitled because they won a bunch of games in the 90s.  That was 25 years ago and has nothing to do with the team today.  While the coaches can do whatever they want, I wish organizations would stop pandering to guys like this.  Sure, let them stand on the sidelines for games.  That's fine.  But when we get into the realm of these guys thinking they are entitled to certain things (as Jim has done in the past), it's trouble.  

Imo you are looking way too into this. It was probably a virtual happy hour or something and the Bills have Marlon Kerner who heads up the Bills alumni group/efforts and may have initiated it. I have to try hard to glean negativity from it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, krf139 said:

He's entitled to his, sure.  But I remember Jim feeling insulted when Rex Ryan didn't go out of his way to kiss his rear end.  This shows entitlement and a feeling that he must have a voice.  Jim is welcome to express his opinions on this board, just like I am (we also have the same number of Super Bowl rings).

Nobody - I think it's an unnecessary dog and pony show.  It's time to move beyond the 90s.  Stop clinging to that team.  When you add up all of their Super Bowl rings, it's equal to mine.  I respect those guys and appreciate what they did for the team, but we are in 2020, not 1991.  We have a Ring of Honor where they have their rightful place in Bills history.  Conference calls with the coaching staff is nothing more than kissing their rear ends.  I don't need to hear Thurman on WGR acting like he knows all.  I don't need to see Jimbo inserting himself into different things.  Let's focus on what we have and where we're headed.

Jim and Rex were on the cover of Sports Illustrated together.   I think you are referencing the time Kelly was upset that members of the Bills took a knee for the National Anthem, which Jerry Hughes gave him hell for.   You may have the same number of Super Bowl rings as Kelly, but in terms of impact on Buffalo football I imagine you're nowhere near as influential as Kelly or Thurman.   Unless of course you're Bruce Smith?

This isn't about kissing their rear end as you say, and it's not a dog and pony show.   It's our GM and Coach having respect for these guys, and showing their admiration for them.  You say you respect those players, but then talk trash about Thurman being on a radio show.   These guys have lived more football than you or I will ever know about.  

Just because someone isn't a current player doesn't mean they arent a part of the Bills family.    Sorry it's just an immature and disrespectful way to look at these players.

48 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Doubling down are ya now, well done, 

?? ? 

56 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Its for good publicity.  They aren't on there watching film and talking strategy for 2020.  

I agree 100% with your thought. I just try to tread carefully here so as to avoid a big fight....wall of famers and their "input" gets a lot of weight around here from some. I think it is BIGTIME overrated (like, WOAH, a LOT).

6 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I agree 100% with your thought. I just try to tread carefully here so as to avoid a big fight....wall of famers and their "input" gets a lot of weight around here from some. I think it is BIGTIME overrated (like, WOAH, a LOT).

Yeah - I'm not picking their brain for much at this point.  If I'm on the team I might golf with them, chat about maybe buffalo media, or what i can do to help with their foundation or any other philanthropic initiatives.  Maybe talk a little bit about like "being a pro".  Basically paying my respects to the the people who built the franchise.  

Outside of that?  The game passed most of these guys by.  Not much they can help with that coaches can't.

You're going to see a lot of them every year at the christmas parties, and other bills related stuff.  Better to get to know them on your own time so they don't see it as a slight.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Bill Polian in there. Very cool. 

Probably said something completely outdated and wrong.

and this is great PR but I hope they don’t listen to them about player evaluation.  Jimbo wanted us to draft Tebow because he’s a good Christian boy.  

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Having the Bills legends help out the current team can only help. Obviously the team will listen to the coaches but these former players can provide valuable knowledge playing at the NFL level. Their opinions carry a lot more weight then yours or mine as they played this game and did it successfully. Kelly passing along his knowledge to Allen about reading and understanding defenses. Jim is a HOF QB so I think his opinion matters. Bruce one of the best ever helping AJ playing on the DL is a great benefit for him. Kyle was already helping at training camp last year and the players said he helped them tremendously.  

I think this is completely overrated.  I like having the guys around to pump up the Bills/ Buffalo and show how much they are a part of the franchise.  But they are glorified fans for most part.  

there’s a reason a lot of great players aren’t great coaches.  Bruce is one of the greatest physically gifted players in nfl history.  He could tell players what works and they just simply won’t be able to do it.  

1 hour ago, hjnick said:

For me, this hits multiple fronts.

1) Even though it was 25 years ago, the players and coaches can gleam some insights as to what it took to go to the super bowl 4 times in a row.  A huge accomplishment.

2) Culture.  It shows that the organization does not forget about you (at least the great ones) and that they want you to remain in the Bills culture even after you playing days are done.

3) Player retention. IMO, players are always looking for reasons to move on or stay at organizations (besides $$$).  Some players actually care about the environment they are in.  If you can provide a top notch environment, where the organization shows they care about their players during and after their careers, that one thing could be the tipping point to retaining a player.

Agreed.

With Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith, Tasker - you are talking about guys who are not only legends but one of the most resilient sports teams in the last thirty years.

McDermott is a student of culture. He can learn from those guys.

Also, it's April - they aren't breaking down film.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, krf139 said:

I don't care what you think

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, krf139 said:

It's time to move beyond the 90s.  Stop clinging to that team.

I completely agree with you on this point. It’s been long overdue for this. But, like it or not, there’s a lot of wisdom on that call. Guys that have proven/won a lot in this league. Super Bowl or not. No harm in having a conversation with them from time to time. 

McBeane has connections to a handful of Hall of Famers who all played/coached at the same time. Why wouldnt you tap into this? When doing a job, a little praise and a little criticism are healthy. For every DE, QB, RB, ect playing today, these guys did it at the highest level and would love the knowledge. 

5 hours ago, krf139 said:

I'm guessing your popularity profile will not be enhanced with a post like this.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, krf139 said:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, krf139 said:

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Unless of course you're Bruce Smith?

More likely Brian S. Cox.  How do you like your son being camp fodder for the Bills Brian?

• Haha (+1) 1