Governor Cuomo appoints Buffalo Bills owner Kim Pegula to New York re-opening advisory board

boater

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Can you elaborate a little bit? If you are speaking in regards to Covid I think that possibility is absolutely zero. You likely get a vaccine next year. At that point no one cares about this anymore. Say the vaccine fails, antibody tests have already revealed 15-20% of the population is likely infected. That makes your death rate .00005. So once that first vaccine fails, again, no one really cares anymore. In relative life terms, this won’t last very long. It just seems that way while living through it. 

Not sure why anyone thinks there will ever be a vaccine. There isn't one for SARS, and there's only about 20 total.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I do have a serious question for you though. Since you seem well informed of the subject at hand. There is something that I can’t piece together. The USS Roosevelt. 5,000 or so sailors on board with absolutely no chance of social distancing. Your eating with hundreds, passing hundreds daily, sleeping with hundreds, showering. You get the picture. How did they only have 800 confirmed cases, for a 16% infection rate. I haven’t been able to make heads or tails of that. 

Annnddd so you see it’s not made up 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3018331001

All these posts that you’ve made shock me as I normally very much appreciate your thoughts regarding the Bills. 

There are exactly ZERO doctors/scientists who know all there is to know about this and yet you’re throwing out figures like it’s JA’s completion percentage. How about this: it’s called a ‘novel’ Coronavirus because it’s completely different than all that came before it?

What do the blood clots mean? The damage to the kidneys? The changes to the brain? The increased chance of death with blood cancers? The fact that people who were asymptotic may deal with damage down the road? These are COMPLETELY unknown so to speak in finite terms like you are is baffling to me. 

I’m not trying to be rude here...

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Should a person who makes millions of dollars packing thousands of people into relatively small spaces really be part of the committee to reopen NYS? By all reports, she’s a great woman, but I think there’s too much conflict of interest here. 

heaven forbid a wide variety of perspectives work together on that. 

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

All these posts that you’ve made shock me as I normally very much appreciate your thoughts regarding the Bills. 

There are exactly ZERO doctors/scientists who know all there is to know about this and yet you’re throwing out figures like it’s JA’s completion percentage. How about this: it’s called a ‘novel’ Coronavirus because it’s completely different than all that came before it?

What do the blood clots mean? The damage to the kidneys? The changes to the brain? The increased chance of death with blood cancers? The fact that people who were asymptotic may deal with damage down the road? These are COMPLETELY unknown so to speak in finite terms like you are is baffling to me. 

I long for the days of Bills talk again good sir. I’m just not as worried as most I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I’m going to sound like Hap here, but do you have the source of those side effects. I’ll admit I didn’t search too hard. But I only saw possible long term side effects of cases that were put on a vent. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

49 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Right: get rid of someone because they’re successful? 

She was invited to be one voice. That’s it.

In my opinion, there are much more conflicts of interest in government to worry about than this. Trashing experts because they aren’t ‘on your side’ enough is radically more grotesque than this. Expertise matters. 

Now if she recommends filling the stadium instead of being half filled in opposition to scientists/medical doctors? Completely different story. 

I completely respect your question, just sharing my opinion.  

I enjoy that you support differing opinions unless they really differ from yours

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I long for the days of Bills talk again good sir. I’m just not as worried as most I suppose. 

I get it. We all want those days to come again...and they will!

Keep you head up my friend and please, please recognize that it’s not about ‘you’, it’s about the many. We could get close today to filling the Ralph with dead Americans. That’s overwhelming to me...I don’t want me or someone I love to be a number. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TroutDog said:

I get it. We all want those days to come again...and they will!

Keep you head up my friend and please, please recognize that it’s not about ‘you’, it’s about the many. We could get close today to filling the Ralph with dead Americans. That’s overwhelming to me...I don’t want me or someone I love to be a number. 

If asymptomatic can create long term effects that’s a bit scary. But I suppose no one will really know because it hasn’t been around long enough to have those long term effects. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I enjoy that you support differing opinions unless they really differ from yours

Maybe I worded that poorly? Not sure what you mean?

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If asymptomatic can create long term effects that’s a bit scary. But I suppose no one will really know because it hasn’t been around long enough to have those long term effects. 

Agreed...they’re just discovering it now according to multiple sources. 

At any rate, I don’t come here to bring anyone down...only to talk about the Bills. Please be well and be safe. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Great - she can’t do her current jobs while maintaining the Pegula lifestyle. Now she has another one

Oh yeah! You’re gonna work out Great here!

I have a sense about these things..

8 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Quit! You’re not even ahead. There’s only one way you’re traveling with your comments. 

South.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where are these antibody test results that have revealed that published?  Source please?

What I've seen, is a small study in NYS that indicated that NYC may have 21% infection rate.  Outside of NYC/LI region, 3.6% were positive.  So while overall, the state had an average of 14% positive, it's sort of a "statistically, the duck is dead" result, right, where the average isn't terrifically meaningful?  If you live in NYC, Good for You; if you live Upstate, better not count on that 14% immunity.

There's a Santa Clara study that concluded 2.5%-4.2% were infected (the actual rate of positives was 1.5%, and their correction methods are subject to criticism)

There's an LA study of 800 people that concluded 2.8-5.6% were infected (they extrapolated to 8 million people, big jump) - average of 4% positive
There's a Miami study I haven't had a chance to dig into yet that the newspaper reporting says 6%.

I'm not aware of any study showing 15-20% of the population is infected, so kindly share your source and I will break out the tea and cookies to entertain it.  But Herd immunity requires 50-60% immunity for an R0 of 2-3, so even 15-20% is a long way short.

Oh, and there's a study (linked in the Covid-19 facts thread) saying that very few of these antibody tests are accurate - they have many, many more false positives than the test developers claim.

ON that death rate thing:  I've said it before, I'll say it again: we don't know the death rate and can't calculate it yet (as well as untested cases, there are also uncounted excess deaths).  What we DO know is in 4 different countries, in cities where this disease spread unchecked before lockdown, it completely overwhelmed the health care system.  It did this in Wuhan.  It did this in Italy.  It did this in Spain.  And it did this in NYC until lockdown, then it only totally overwhelmed the pre-existing capacity.

Whether the death rate is ultimately 5%, or 0.5%, or 0.05%, it's the high morbity (number of people sick enough to require hospital care) and the duration of care they require that make covid-19 problematic.

My best hope is that one or more of the clinical trials of therapeutics will yield a reasonably effective treatment to keep the health care system functional, able to treat and discharge patients. 

An actual detailed, effective plan to protect the health of vulnerable people would also be great, but I just hear empty words so far.

I think we could both agree this has become a very political virus.  In that I mean political parties are in disagreement over solutions/actions to take against this virus.  You act like you are the final word on this virus and anybody that post something positive is automatically wrong.  You do back up your statements with articles, so I give you credit there but....there is so many media outlets with hidden agendas in concerns to this virus that if you look hard enough you will find something to back up your theories.  It is a bit disingenuous if you ask me.  

On Good Morning America today they said the MLB is planning on playing games by the 4th of July & plan on playing 100 games in Major League Stadiums.  It will start with no fans & they hope to have fans in the stands by September.  In a different report they said a vaccine which shows great promise could be now ready by September.  Whether this pans out or not who knows.  But it is something to hold on hope for.  

My guess is, and it is only a guess is that if it means having fans in the stands the NFL will delay the season by a month into October, same with College Football.  I have said it before, but football, especially college football with there is so much at stake on ticket revenue & money to be made for gameday Saturdays in college towns all over the country does not work without the fans.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Right: get rid of someone because they’re successful? 

She was invited to be one voice. That’s it.

In my opinion, there are much more conflicts of interest in government to worry about than this. Trashing experts because they aren’t ‘on your side’ enough is radically more grotesque than this. Expertise matters. 

Now if she recommends filling the stadium instead of being half filled in opposition to scientists/medical doctors? Completely different story. 

I completely respect your question, just sharing my opinion.  

I never said get rid of her because she’s “successful”. Nor do I resent her for her money. I actually think she’s very qualified because she has experience running multi-billion dollar companies. I just think this is letting the wolves guard the hen house. I just think she’ll have a bias that will put way too many people at risk. By all means, put business leaders on there. But I think sporting events have an unprecedented ability to spread virus to large numbers of people.

By the way, I don’t think half-filling a stadium/arena will work. Even people in every other seat is still people sitting 3 feet away from each other, not to mention the crowds of getting people in and out and concession stands. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Who should be on it then ; a park ranger in the Catskills ?  She’s a powerful business woman, and we need to reopen businesses. The great thing is, none of those thousands of people in the small spaces is forced to be there. They’re paying for the privilege.

How about a mix of small/medium business owners, hospital officials, epidemiologists, and public health officials. Is that really hard to come up with? 

What happens when one of those people who paid to be at a sporting event gets infected and passes it to an elderly neighbor at the grocery store. Did they pay for that privilege too?

13 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not sure why anyone thinks there will ever be a vaccine. There isn't one for SARS, and there's only about 20 total.

There actually were a whole bunch of SARS vaccines in development. 

When it didn't reappear, vaccine development necessasrily paused - it's considered unethical to grow up a highly contagious virus and try to infect people just so you can see whether or not your vaccine prevents infection.

Many of the learnings from SARS vaccine development are being leveraged extensively to rapidly develop covid-19 vaccine candidates.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Should a person who makes millions of dollars packing thousands of people into relatively small spaces really be part of the committee to reopen NYS? By all reports, she’s a great woman, but I think there’s too much conflict of interest here. 

Are you new to American politics? Money = speech, and the more money you have, the louder your voice.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There actually were a whole bunch of SARS vaccines in development. 

When it didn't reappear, vaccine development necessasrily paused - it's considered unethical to grow up a highly contagious virus and try to infect people just so you can see whether or not your vaccine prevents infection.

Many of the learnings from SARS vaccine development are being leveraged extensively to rapidly develop covid-19 vaccine candidates.

This is correct. Vaccines were developed up to a certain point (that is, their efficacy remained untested). Then SARS went away and these were shelved. The issue here was cost/benefit. I sympathize with Big Pharma that didn’t want to dump millions of dollars into a vaccine no one would ever use. It wouldn’t have even been useful for this virus. So, there’s great financial risk for developing these vaccines. It’s not like we can stockpile a vaccine against the next coronavirus that pops up in 10 years, unless it can target shared epitopes (ie protein features) common to all coronavirae. But, even that isn’t foolproof. 

Just now, WhoTom said:

Are you new to American politics? Money = speech, and the more money you have, the louder your voice.

I understand this. I’m just hopeful the US citizen can still be reasonable in face of reality. ?‍♂️

45 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I understand this. I’m just hopeful the US citizen can still be reasonable in face of reality. ?‍♂️

We'll find out in a few months.