Josh Allen Running Style Versus Cam Newton

TroutDog

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Cool...good info: thank you. With that being said, and assuming a marked improvement moving forward, I would continue to argue that his running is still a worthwhile risk. 

Josh works on his weaknesses all offseason according to reports. I expect fewer fumbles, and a better long ball next season......when it starts. Hopefully on time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Josh works on his weaknesses all offseason according to reports. I expect fewer fumbles, and a better long ball next season......when it starts. Hopefully on time. 

Agreed. As I posted elsewhere, he had a significant improvement after his rookie season injury and again in his second year. That’s almost a trend. I have no reason to believe it won’t continue and, if it does, let the kid run intelligently. 

What cracks me up is how the "analysts" view different running QBs. 

Josh Allen takes off for a 15 yard gain, steps out of bounds, no one touches him.

Analyst: Oh boy, there goes Josh Allen. Coaches really don't want him taking those type of risks, he could really harm his team if he takes a hit and has to miss time.

Analyst #2: He's gotta be smarter, Bob. Just a selfish play here. How dare he!

Lamar Jackson takes off for a 15 yard gain, gets plastered by JJ Watt, the 17th hit he's taken today.

Same Analyst: Lamar Jackson! Oh my! Is there nothing this kid can't do?!

Analyst #2: Dapgum, Bob, I don't think there is anything he can't do! Hell, he can perform my open-heart surgery if he wants! Blindfolded!

Ugh. As I've gotten older I've come to loathe the analysts more and more. Started watching some games on mute last year. I hate the whole thing. I know they have a job to do and they have their little production meetings and they outline their stupid little talking points, etc. But that doesn't make me wanna take their microphones away and throw 'em in the lake any less. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we all agree that him running is a HUGE weapon.  It seemed that as the season went on he did a much better job of avoiding the big hit.  There were a couple of those runs (and some that weren't on there) where he took some huge hits though, and I remember on a couple of them wondering if he was going to be okay.  I do think he will continue to get better at avoiding the big hit, however that being said it is fun sometimes when he takes on those big defenders and he's the one that ends up winning

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

What cracks me up is how the "analysts" view different running QBs. 

Josh Allen takes off for a 15 yard gain, steps out of bounds, no one touches him.

Analyst: Oh boy, there goes Josh Allen. Coaches really don't want him taking those type of risks, he could really harm his team if he takes a hit and has to miss time.

Analyst #2: He's gotta be smarter, Bob. Just a selfish play here. How dare he!

Lamar Jackson takes off for a 15 yard gain, gets plastered by JJ Watt, the 17th hit he's taken today.

Same Analyst: Lamar Jackson! Oh my! Is there nothing this kid can't do?!

Analyst #2: Dapgum, Bob, I don't think there is anything he can't do! Hell, he can perform my open-heart surgery if he wants! Blindfolded!

Ugh. As I've gotten older I've come to loathe the analysts more and more. Started watching some games on mute last year. I hate the whole thing. I know they have a job to do and they have their little production meetings and they outline their stupid little talking points, etc. But that doesn't make me wanna take their microphones away and throw 'em in the lake any less. 

I agree with the gist of what you’re saying, it just feels a...little out in left field as compared to what I’m taking about. 

I could care less about what national sports media is saying...within reason ? 

Just look at Cam Newton and Russell Wilson when it comes to QB's who run.

Russell Wilson remains one of the best QB's in the NFL at age 32.

Cam Newton (a former league MVP I might add) is 31 and his career is hanging on by a thread.

Ask yourself why as to what I said above.

Wilson doesn't take big shots and Newton did, that is why Newton is shot and Wilson isn't.

Allen might think that he is so big and strong that he can take any hit for the rest of pro life, but there is always someone bigger and stronger than you and all it takes is one big shot to ruin a career. Zach Cunningham almost did that in the playoff game.

Simply put, Allen needs to be more judicious in his running style to remain on the field like Russell Wilson has and Cam Newton has not.

Edited by njbuff

Just now, TroutDog said:

I agree with the gist of what you’re saying, it just feels a...little out in left field as compared to what I’m taking about. 

I could care less about what national sports media is saying...within reason ? 

I was ranting, haha. Perhaps I've been cooped up for too long. On Allen's running, I think the kid knows when to slide or get out of bounds. He's also bigger than a lot of LBs and DBs. He also seems to get a lot of props for being tough. That said, I think he'll probably have some better luck staying healthy than Cam did. I do wonder if he'll suffer the same "no call" treatment Cam had. Watched one game a couple seasons ago and there were at least three clear head to head hits he took and not a flag on any of 'em. Might've been that game where he claims the ref told him he hadn't earned those type of calls yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cam Newton is an inch taller (no big deal) and over 20 pounds heavier than Allen and he is almost done at age 31.

I am not belittling Allen when it comes to running, he just has to be a little wiser when it comes to taking those BIG shots.

I actually give him credit for avoiding big hits by sliding or stepping out bounds (this does not include the dumb slide during the playoff game). The only time he was hurt he was in the pocket.  He keeps driving going and score a ton but clearly still needs to slow down and protect the ball much better to be elite.

Cam had a lot more designed physical runs than Josh.  We need to keep it that way

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

One thing that SERIOUSLY annoys me is that Josh is allowed to take low and late hits without a flag that would result in suspension if it happened anywhere near a guy named Brady. 

Welcome to the world of the big and/or  athletic QB.  Newton and Ruthlessraper say hello.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

Most of those yards were in year one when he WAS the O. I don’t want that and do not view it as sustainable. The video I attached showed a radically different running QB than year one Josh...that IS sustainable. 

I would disagree completely (but respect your point of view): I’d want Daboll/Josh to call them whenever they see the right D to call them. He’s the field general and should move forward as such while also recognizing the need to play the entire game...the next first down is not the goal: playing a winning full season is. 

Bro he had like 100 yards less last year than 1st year and he made up for that in the playoff game! Mark my words Josh Allen is the greatest rushing QB we will ever see, he's exactly what I thought Tebow would be:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Bro he had like 100 yards less last year than 1st year and he made up for that in the playoff game! Mark my words Josh Allen is the greatest rushing QB we will ever see, he's exactly what I thought Tebow would be:wub:

Ha! Ok, if you want to choose that stat then we’ll work from there. He had a 20% reduction in runs and yardage from year one to year two. That’s a pretty radical reduction! (There’s a ‘Thats what she said’ joke in here somewhere, but I digress).? 

If you can extrapolate that out to what you’re projecting, then more power to you!!!

For me, I see far more improvement in his passing game coupled with the threat of his running game and his ability to know when to slide. THAT is a modern QB!

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Barkley could teach Allen some ball holding skills - he has fumbled once - but Allen could teach Barkley how to catch a TD pass.  :D

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
Career       28 27 198 1141 17 83 45 5.8 40.8 7.1 1 0 0   0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0%   198 5.8 1141 17

2018 22 BUF QB 17 12 11 89 631 8 41 45 7.1 52.6 7.4 1 0 0   0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0% 0.0 89 7.1 631 8 8
2019 23 BUF QB 17 16 16 109 510 9 42 36 4.7 31.9 6.8                       109 4.7 510 9 14
Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles  
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty
Career       28 27           0 22 6 -15 0 0.0          
2018 22 BUF QB 17 12 11           0 8 2 -14 0 0.0            
2019 23 BUF QB 17 16 16           0 14 4 -1 0 0.0            

Games Rushing Receiving
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds 1D YBC YBC/Att YAC YAC/Att BrkTkl Att/Br Tgt Rec Yds 1D YBC YBC/R YAC YAC/R BrkTkl Rec/Br Drop Drop%
2018* 21 NYG RB 26 16 16 261 1307 50 571 2.2 736 2.8 30 8.7 121 91 721 30 -47 -0.5 768 8.4 13 7.0 4 3.3
2019 22 NYG RB 26 13 13 217 1003 45 398 1.8 605 2.8 16 13.6 73 52 438 14 0 0.0 438 8.4 8 6.5 4 5.5
  Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles  
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty
Career       29 29           0 1 2 0 0 0.0          
2019 22 NYG RB 26 13 13           0 1 2 0 0 0.0            
13 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Ha! Ok, if you want to choose that stat then we’ll work from there. He had a 20% reduction in runs and yardage from year one to year two. That’s a pretty radical reduction! (There’s a ‘Thats what she said’ joke in here somewhere, but I digress).? 

If you can extrapolate that out to what you’re projecting, then more power to you!!!

For me, I see far more improvement in his passing game coupled with the threat of his running game and his ability to know when to slide. THAT is a modern QB!

20% reduction with more games he played in and started.

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I know, I know: another JA thread. This to me, however, was telling. Many here have said that Josh can’t sustain his game while also contributing in the run game. It really boggled my mind as I really felt as though he figured out how to be a running QB in the NFL last year...after the hits in his rookie season. 

I feel like this video supports my theory. Thoughts? Flame away if you’d like or, perhaps, admit that this kid (I use the term as a 50 something) is a little (lot?) more than what many have made of him...particularly if he can capitalize on the Diggs trade and become a 63 - 65% passer AND be a safe running QB. 

EDIT: Many posters here have stated that Cam is an example (being roughly the same size and having a propensity to run) that Josh will not have a long shelf life. My point is this: the video shows a different kind of runner. I will make the argument that Josh CAN be an effective runner, is improving accuracy and will be a more productive QB than Cam. 

GO JOSH AND GO BILLS!!!!! ? ?

Two things:

1.  The amount of joy I had watching this is off the charts.  I just love watching Allen play, I cant remember a player I enjoyed watching and rooting for as much as I do for this kid.  

2.  Please please please...while working on the deep ball...also work on holding onto the football better.  He was better down the stretch, but just needs to protect the ball more on runs.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Panthers often used Cam as a battering ram down the middle. Sure he didn't get injured, but it must have affected his throwing motions and such at times, being crunched at shoulder level. Look at the Josh run video, he takes very little hard hits, and most were when the pocket collapsed on pass plays - better hits than getting decked while looking downfield. I'm not a huge fan of designed runs... but he's had quite the long gains from some of them so I guess it depends ha ha. As when they don't work, he get hits hard as well. Keep him loose! Let him free

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I'm not a huge fan of designed runs.

But I am...or at least the threat of them so long as JA knows when to slide. That’s my point. 

Cam needs to be the hero (thus the Superman thingy). I believe Josh wants to win and, if the guys around him aren’t enough, then he’ll do all he can to get there. Reaching my conclusion that there are enough guys around him now and the threat of him running is valuable. 

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

2019 - Josh Allen

16 Overall Fumbles which ranked him 3rd Overall

while RUSHING he fumbled 5 in 2018 and 7 in 2019.

Cam has had a total of 25 fumbles total in 8 seasons and some change.

So if Allen keeps trucking...hold onto to the ball better.  More like Cam does.

Just for context, he had 147 combined runs and sacks in 2019.  Essentially, he fumbled once every 9 times he didn’t hand the ball off or throw it.  When you start factoring in the times he didn’t get tackled (9 rushing TDs, several kneel downs, dozens of times running out of bounds, sliding, etc.) it’s got to be closer to 1 in 5 hits that he coughs it up.  He’s been remarkably lucky to lose so few, but if I’m the opposing DC, I want him running the ball.  I tell my guys to force him to the middle of the field if he runs.  Give him a few extra yards, but make him take a hit because he’ll put it on the ground eventually.

• Like (+1) 1