Josh Allen Running Style Versus Cam Newton

TroutDog

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Just look at Cam Newton and Russell Wilson when it comes to QB's who run.

Russell Wilson remains one of the best QB's in the NFL at age 32.

Cam Newton (a former league MVP I might add) is 31 and his career is hanging on by a thread.

Ask yourself why as to what I said above.

Wilson doesn't take big shots and Newton did, that is why Newton is shot and Wilson isn't.

Allen might think that he is so big and strong that he can take any hit for the rest of pro life, but there is always someone bigger and stronger than you and all it takes is one big shot to ruin a career. Zach Cunningham almost did that in the playoff game.

Simply put, Allen needs to be more judicious in his running style to remain on the field like Russell Wilson has and Cam Newton has not.

Have you watched the video? You’re making my point as he didn’t leap over tall LB’s with a single bound, etc. (in ‘19j he knew when to slide. ? 

I love having the threat of him running...or him actually running! That’s for the DC/ D to figure out! So long as he can do it safely, I love it. 

Edited by TroutDog

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Two things:

1.  The amount of joy I had watching this is off the charts.  I just love watching Allen play, I cant remember a player I enjoyed watching and rooting for as much as I do for this kid.  

2.  Please please please...while working on the deep ball...also work on holding onto the football better.  He was better down the stretch, but just needs to protect the ball more on runs.  

I really like watching Allen and he is my close second, but Tre White is an absolute joy to watch play football. His enthusiasm and skill are eye-popping.

Although he took a shot in the playoff game, but judging from the video I agree with your second point, I thought he protected himself much better last season. Definitely better than his rookie season. This is the season he works on ball security. I wouldn’t call him reckless but he needs to do better.

Edited by JDubya76
  • Like (+1) 2

Josh improved his game last season, but he won’t last in the league if he doesn’t continue improving as a passer. In this new age of athleticism at quarterback the running is vital to keep defenses guessing. Just my two cents but he has to smarten up at using check downs and underneath routes, he’s far too prone to the big play looking 15-20 yards down the field to uncork that cannon. We had games last season the offense was just putrid and inconsistent and I get wanting the big play but singletary would be wide open in the flat and we’d throw some 25 yard sideline pass that was extremely difficult to complete. It’s really the only knock on his game I have is not using the short check downs and not being very accurate on those short passes. If he could mimic Russel Wilson a little more he’d be a perennial MVP candidate year in and year out. All that said, I’m excited for his future and to watch him grow 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Ha! Ok, if you want to choose that stat then we’ll work from there. He had a 20% reduction in runs and yardage from year one to year two. That’s a pretty radical reduction! (There’s a ‘Thats what she said’ joke in here somewhere, but I digress).? 

If you can extrapolate that out to what you’re projecting, then more power to you!!!

For me, I see far more improvement in his passing game coupled with the threat of his running game and his ability to know when to slide. THAT is a modern QB!

I'm just hoping he becomes the greatest passing QB to go along with greatest running QB...

I'm just saying 100 less yards is nothing, he could easily have that in 1 game the way he runs, so I don't see it as such a drastic difference.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Most of those yards were in year one when he WAS the O. I don’t want that and do not view it as sustainable. The video I attached showed a radically different running QB than year one Josh...that IS sustainable. 

I would disagree completely (but respect your point of view): I’d want Daboll/Josh to call them whenever they see the right D to call them. He’s the field general and should move forward as such while also recognizing the need to play the entire game...the next first down is not the goal: playing a winning full season is. 

My main point, which I now see I didn't state clearly, was that limiting him running was simply to protect him from injury.  He's so valuable that we need him healthy.  So even if the defense gives it, I might not recommend taking it at times when it isn't necessary.  If he could run wild with no threat of injury, I'd be all for him running all the time.  (And I also respect your point of view....)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Have you watched the video? You’re making my point as he didn’t leap over tall LB’s with a single bound, etc. (in ‘19j he knew when to slide. ? 

I love having the threat of him running...or him actually running! That’s for the DC/ D to figure out! So long as he can do it safely, I love it. 

He slid feet-first about four or five times in your video. Without counting, it looked like he went helmet-first just as much, and that's dangerous.

And he still took a few big hits. And a bunch that were actually fairly good hits but Josh is so big he can stay up and look as if he wasn't affected.

As successful as called QB runs can be with him, I'd like to see them reduced more and more. He did handle runs better last year, avoiding contact better. Needs to do so even better.

For his longevity he needs to avoid contact.  Buffalo needs to remove the Qb runs.  Allen needs to get down or out of bounds.  In a playoff scenerio I undetstand leaving it on the feild.  You cant survive in NFL running like that week in week outat Qb.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I agree that you don't want to take away Allen's running game.  That said, save it for broken plays where he can scramble for the 1st down, safely get out of bounds or slide.  I'd also limit designed runs for him to the 4th quarter of close, meaningful games, playoff games, etc.  No designed runs early in games, in blowouts, in games after playoff position has been determined (amazing we can say that about the Bills these days!), etc.  OK - may be an occasional QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and short, but Moss may be able to help in those situations.

Agree with this statement completely.

Josh Allen's running ability is deadly in the Red Zone and on 3rd Down.  That is something you never want to take away, because that is his greatest advantage over other Quarterbacks in the NFL.

Using him like a Running Back at other points of the game, I'm definitely not a huge fan of.  You want to keep your QB from getting injured.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think he was smarter in 2019 than he was in 2018.  He's shown, time and time again, that he works hard at improving areas of improvement.  I expect to see more slides this year, but a certain handful of gutsy ends of runs that make us all hold our collective breath!

Russell Wilson still runs somewhere like 70-100 times a year and has never missed a game.  Sliding works.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

2019 - Josh Allen

16 Overall Fumbles which ranked him 3rd Overall

while RUSHING he fumbled 5 in 2018 and 7 in 2019.

Cam has had a total of 25 fumbles total in 8 seasons and some change.

So if Allen keeps trucking...hold onto to the ball better.  More like Cam does.

The dude needs to get out of bound or slide. I love it when he takes off. I would just like to see him cut down on getting blown up. Not every run has to be the Cowboys second effort 1st down (one of JA best plays).

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I know, I know: another JA thread. This to me, however, was telling. Many here have said that Josh can’t sustain his game while also contributing in the run game. It really boggled my mind as I really felt as though he figured out how to be a running QB in the NFL last year...after the hits in his rookie season. 

I feel like this video supports my theory. Thoughts? Flame away if you’d like or, perhaps, admit that this kid (I use the term as a 50 something) is a little (lot?) more than what many have made of him...particularly if he can capitalize on the Diggs trade and become a 63 - 65% passer AND be a safe running QB. 

EDIT: Many posters here have stated that Cam is an example (being roughly the same size and having a propensity to run) that Josh will not have a long shelf life. My point is this: the video shows a different kind of runner. I will make the argument that Josh CAN be an effective runner, is improving accuracy and will be a more productive QB than Cam. 

GO JOSH AND GO BILLS!!!!! ? ?

This board consistently underrates how good Cam Newton was.  He won the MVP with Ted Ginn as his number 1 receiver.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This board consistently underrates how good Cam Newton was.  He won the MVP with Ted Ginn as his number 1 receiver.  

I have never downplayed Newton.

He deserves respect for taking a cast of offensive misfits to a 15-1 record and a SB appearance.

But in the end, he flamed out because his size was really used against him as his running style, along with the officials allowing a ton of unnecessary hard shots, ruined him.

He wasn't as inaccurate as people thought, but his long looping delivery didn't help him either.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I have never downplayed Newton.

He deserves respect for taking a cast of offensive misfits to a 15-1 record and a SB appearance.

But in the end, he flamed out because his size was really used against him as his running style, along with the officials allowing a ton of unnecessary hard shots, ruined him.

He wasn't as inaccurate as people thought, but his long looping delivery didn't help him either.

Someone had to pay the karmac balance for all the calls Brady got when someone looked at him with intent to tackle or got close enough to breathe on his little pinky.

• Like (+1) 1