Josh Allen Running Style Versus Cam Newton

TroutDog

I know, I know: another JA thread. This to me, however, was telling. Many here have said that Josh can’t sustain his game while also contributing in the run game. It really boggled my mind as I really felt as though he figured out how to be a running QB in the NFL last year...after the hits in his rookie season. 

I feel like this video supports my theory. Thoughts? Flame away if you’d like or, perhaps, admit that this kid (I use the term as a 50 something) is a little (lot?) more than what many have made of him...particularly if he can capitalize on the Diggs trade and become a 63 - 65% passer AND be a safe running QB. 

EDIT: Many posters here have stated that Cam is an example (being roughly the same size and having a propensity to run) that Josh will not have a long shelf life. My point is this: the video shows a different kind of runner. I will make the argument that Josh CAN be an effective runner, is improving accuracy and will be a more productive QB than Cam. 

GO JOSH AND GO BILLS!!!!! ? ?

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, TroutDog said:

I know, I know: another JA thread. This to me, however, was telling. Many here have said that Josh can’t sustain his game while also contributing in the run game. It really boggled my mind as I really felt as though he figured out how to be a running QB in the NLF last year...after the hits in his rookie season. 

I feel like this video supports my theory. Thoughts? Flame away if you’d like or, perhaps, admit that this kid (I use the term as a 50 something) is a little (lot?) more than what many have made of him...particularly if he can capitalize on the Diggs trade and become a 63 - 65% passer AND be a safe running QB. 

Josh is the best running QB in history...watch.

Just now, Sherlock Holmes said:

Josh is the best running QB in history...watch.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, I really do, but I’m not sure if he’s that. All I’m saying is that he can be a serious weapon in the running AND passing game and do so as safely as one can approach either.

He’s a gamer AND a hell of an athlete and limiting his use, particularly when he now knows how to run in the NFL, is silly. Make the D and D coordinator guess!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I know, I know: another JA thread. This to me, however, was telling. Many here have said that Josh can’t sustain his game while also contributing in the run game. It really boggled my mind as I really felt as though he figured out how to be a running QB in the NFL last year...after the hits in his rookie season. 

Where does Cam Newton come into this topic?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm, I really do, but I’m not sure if he’s that. All I’m saying is that he can be a serious weapon in the running AND passing game and do so as safely as one can approach either.

He’s a gamer AND a hell of an athlete and limiting his use, particularly when he now knows how to run in the NFL, is silly. Make the D and D coordinator guess!!!

I think he was smarter in 2019 than he was in 2018.  He's shown, time and time again, that he works hard at improving areas of improvement.  I expect to see more slides this year, but a certain handful of gutsy ends of runs that make us all hold our collective breath!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I think he was smarter in 2019 than he was in 2018.  He's shown, time and time again, that he works hard at improving areas of improvement.  I expect to see more slides this year, but a certain handful of gutsy ends of runs that make us all hold our collective breath!

Sometimes, the team needs to see the QB run over a defender as a spark. Josh Allen for all his faults, is more than willing to provide that spark if necessary, and he rules for that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yup...never want that will to win to be removed from his game. But if he can make a critical first down or keep the D guessing...USE HIM!

Edited by TroutDog

Just now, TroutDog said:

Yup...never want that will to win to be removed from us game. But if he can make a critical first down or keep the D guessing...USE HIM!

Abso-friggin-lutely.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

He should end up with most QB rushings TDs and yardage soon enough... Already 1200 yards and 17 TDs in 2 years.......

WOW! This made me miss football even MORE! 

Josh needs to run like a smart Russell Wilson, not like.......Cam.  I get it, Cam had at least one great year, but I was never a big fan of his style or his game. You can only do that so long in the NFL. Eventually, you need to become a real NFL QB. Praying Josh can refine his passing, and stay safe on his running. Hard not to LOVE the guy! 

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree that you don't want to take away Allen's running game.  That said, save it for broken plays where he can scramble for the 1st down, safely get out of bounds or slide.  I'd also limit designed runs for him to the 4th quarter of close, meaningful games, playoff games, etc.  No designed runs early in games, in blowouts, in games after playoff position has been determined (amazing we can say that about the Bills these days!), etc.  OK - may be an occasional QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and short, but Moss may be able to help in those situations.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

He should end up with most QB rushings TDs and yardage soon enough... Already 1200 yards and 17 TDs in 2 years.......

Most of those yards were in year one when he WAS the O. I don’t want that and do not view it as sustainable. The video I attached showed a radically different running QB than year one Josh...that IS sustainable. 

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree that you don't want to take away Allen's running game.  That said, save it for broken plays where he can scramble for the 1st down, safely get out of bounds or slide.  I'd also limit designed runs for him to the 4th quarter of close, meaningful games, playoff games, etc.  No designed runs early in games, in blowouts, in games after playoff position has been determined (amazing we can say that about the Bills these days!), etc.  OK - may be an occasional QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and short, but Moss may be able to help in those situations.

I would disagree completely (but respect your point of view): I’d want Daboll/Josh to call them whenever they see the right D to call them. He’s the field general and should move forward as such while also recognizing the need to play the entire game...the next first down is not the goal: playing a winning full season is. 

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

2019 - Josh Allen

16 Overall Fumbles which ranked him 3rd Overall

while RUSHING he fumbled 5 in 2018 and 7 in 2019.

Cam has had a total of 25 fumbles total in 8 seasons and some change.

So if Allen keeps trucking...hold onto to the ball better.  More like Cam does.

Really another discussion but I’ll play: Yes, this is yet another thing he needs to work on. I believe he has and will continue to do so. If it remains a problem, then none of this discussion is worthwhile. 

What would make it valuable is if we knew about when the fumbles happened: running plays or passing plays? I don’t know. 

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Really another discussion but I’ll play: Yes, this is yet another thing he needs to work on. I believe he has and will continue to do so. If it remains a problem, then none of this discussion is worthwhile. 

What would make it valuable is if we knew about when the fumbles happened: running plays or passing plays? I don’t know. 

from what I gather he had 16 total Fumbles in 2019.  7 of those were tagged when Allen was deemed to be Rushing.

so

7 fumbles While running 

9 fumbles while passing 

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sometimes, the team needs to see the QB run over a defender as a spark. 

No teammate with a functioning cerebral cortex wants to see his QB taking on defenders.

That is strictly the territory of histrionic fans.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

from what I gather he had 16 total Fumbles in 2019.  7 of those were tagged when Allen was deemed to be Rushing.

so

7 fumbles While running 

9 fumbles while passing 

Cool...good info: thank you. With that being said, and assuming a marked improvement moving forward, I would continue to argue that his running is still a worthwhile risk.