Opinions on a hypothetical trade

Good topic.  To hell with all the posters that tell you to stop.  I love the hypothetical stuff.

As for your idea, I would pass.  Brown is healthy, has very good hands, runs all routes, and is already under contract.  I would have traded a 3rd round pick for AJ before the Diggs deal.  But even giving up a #1, the Diggs deal is better. Diggs is younger, healthier, and cheaper.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

John Brown is 2 years younger and coming off of back to back healthy and productive seasons.  AJ Green hasn't had a healthy season since 2017 and has been hurt 3 out of the past 4 seasons. Stop with this AJ Green bull####. You are falling in love with a name and not what the actual player is likely to produce.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good topic.  To hell with all the posters that tell you to stop.  I love the hypothetical stuff.

As for your idea, I would pass.  Brown is healthy, has very good hands, runs all routes, and is already under contract.  I would have traded a 3rd round pick for AJ before the Diggs deal.  But even giving up a #1, the Diggs deal is better. Diggs is younger, healthier, and cheaper.  

Thanks Ethan, I find most of the people who post do nothing more than show you an article from the Buffalo News or ESPN.  They see a guy who was cut and ask "What about bringing this guy in?"  There is nothing wrong with that either but when I post I try to bring something more to the table.  There have been a lot of AJ Green posts in the past by others I guess but maybe that's because certain fans think he would be a great addition to the team.  I don't eat sleep and drink 24 hours a day on this site so I didn't realize it was that overblown.  Before last season AJ Greens name would have brought a way bigger buzz to the town than John Brown.  I was just posing a question and didn't even take a side.  It doesn't matter what post you read there are always those who will bash the post.  Being 50 years old and a fan since the Fergy era I have seen in all.  At the end of the day if we win we are all happy, Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

Would you pull this trade off if you were the Bills GM?

John Brown for AJ Green

AJ Green is not happy in Cincy and wants a new deal.  He is a perennial pro bowler, (7 pro bowls).  AJ Green has only played 4 full seasons out of 9. He probably would play 2 more years tops.  Personally I think for the short term he would be amazing on the other side of Diggs, almost like what James Lofton was for Andre Reed.  He is great with the intermediate and deep ball and has a knack for the end zone.

John Brown's value has never been higher.  He is coming off a great year with Buffalo and has 2 years remaining on his contract. He lacks size but is a very good route runner and came through in the clutch many times for us last year.  John Brown has only played 2 full seasons out of 6.

AJ Green (will be 32yrs old when the season begins)                      John Brown (will be 30yrs old when the season begins)                             

6'4                                                                                                                5'11

9 seasons                                                                                                   6 seasons

75 catches per season  avg                                                                    48 catches per season avg

1,113 yards per season avg                                                                    715 yards per season avg

8 td's per season avg                                                                                5 td's per season avg

7 pro bowls                                                                                                 0 pro bowls

No. Can we STOP with all the AJ Green crap already please. I don’t want to go another year with people advocating for trading for a BROKE WR 

On 4/28/2020 at 12:11 PM, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

John Brown for AJ Green

AJ Green is not happy in Cincy and wants a new deal.  He is a perennial pro bowler, (7 pro bowls).  AJ Green has only played 4 full seasons out of 9. He probably would play 2 more years tops.  Personally I think for the short term he would be amazing on the other side of Diggs, almost like what James Lofton was for Andre Reed.  He is great with the intermediate and deep ball and has a knack for the end zone.

John Brown's value has never been higher.  He is coming off a great year with Buffalo and has 2 years remaining on his contract. He lacks size but is a very good route runner and came through in the clutch many times for us last year.  John Brown has only played 2 full seasons out of 6.

AJ Green (will be 32yrs old when the season begins)                      John Brown (will be 30yrs old when the season begins)                             

6'4                                                                                                                5'11

9 seasons                                                                                                   6 seasons

75 catches per season  avg                                                                    48 catches per season avg

1,113 yards per season avg                                                                    715 yards per season avg

8 td's per season avg                                                                                5 td's per season avg

7 pro bowls                                                                                                 0 pro bowls

Throw in Bengals’ 2nd rounder from next year before we can even begin talking (expect it to be between #33 to #40). As you point out, Brown’s value, coming off a 1000 yard season is higher. And I am not even considering the loss of the JA JB connection so may still not be worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, JoPoy88 said:

I would not do that trade, primarily because of Green’s injury issues recently. That, and Brown seems to be trending up the last two seasons. 

Peak AJ Green is a better player for sure. But I don’t think peak AJ exists anymore.

The injuries are the big factor for me, especially with an older player like Green.

• Like (+1) 1

You couldn’t make a trade like that without knowing what AJ Green looks like on the field these days.  A healthy and fully functional AJ Green is easily superior to Brown, but are you really getting that?  And even if you are, for how much longer?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, Rocky Landing said:

Continuity will be a premium asset for teams this year. The question to say is: would our team be better with #2WR Brown embedded into our system, or with #2WR Greene new to it? I'm going Brown.

If healthy and that's a big "IF" I would hands down go with Green.  He "was" an All Pro that gives you a different dimension with his size and wing span.  I think if he is healthy you are more dynamic offensively.  Look how fast Allen was able to get in rhythm with Beasley and Brown, why couldn't he do the same with Green and Diggs?  Training camp might be shortened and that would be an understandable factor that would work against this idea.  I would not do the trade unless my doctors new that Green was 100% over the previous injuries.  I know Green has dealt with injuries that have limited his ability to produce on the field but John Brown had 3 mediocre seasons after his 1,000 yd season in 2015 and then last year he finally had another good year with the Bills.  It's not like he produces year in and year out and stays injury free.  We need to stop falling in love with guys so quickly as a fan base.  I think this is a fairly reasonable trade that can bring high end value if Green is healthy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

John Brown for AJ Green

Do you really miss the Bills sucking this much?

Seeing as A.J. Green is coming off basically a 2 yr injury & Smoke has been out there every game and is very dependable i would say just stick with what we got for the simple fact that you don't know about players coming off injury .

It usually takes a player coming off injury a yr to get back to his old self Smoke will come back & be good but will Green ?

Yes if he was totally healthy and played as he did before his injury's but the unknown is what's scary will he come back and have a season like Kroft did last yr or continue his unfortunate path with another injury we won't know until he's playing .

But where there's Smoke there's Fire so I'll stick with Smoke ... So hypothetically saying NO THANKS !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

If healthy and that's a big "IF" I would hands down go with Green.  He "was" an All Pro that gives you a different dimension with his size and wing span.  I think if he is healthy you are more dynamic offensively.  Look how fast Allen was able to get in rhythm with Beasley and Brown, why couldn't he do the same with Green and Diggs?  Training camp might be shortened and that would be an understandable factor that would work against this idea.  I would not do the trade unless my doctors new that Green was 100% over the previous injuries.  I know Green has dealt with injuries that have limited his ability to produce on the field but John Brown had 3 mediocre seasons after his 1,000 yd season in 2015 and then last year he finally had another good year with the Bills.  It's not like he produces year in and year out and stays injury free.  We need to stop falling in love with guys so quickly as a fan base.  I think this is a fairly reasonable trade that can bring high end value if Green is healthy.

I thought this little feller had breathed its last breath last Thursday 

• Thank you (+1) 1