Opinions on a hypothetical trade

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The best decisions are made by taking the scenario that has fewer "what ifs."  For me its a no brainer to keep Brown.

Brown is easily replaceable.  AJ Green’s upside is not.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Brown is easily replaceable.  AJ Green’s upside is not.

Completely disagree with you.  A.J. Green hasnt been a top player at his position in going on five seasons.   His production since then has been easily replaced on his own team by Tyler Boyd.    John Brown's 2019 season is arguably the best season a Bills wideout has had since Stevie Johnson in 2010.   That said, I'd say Brown's importance to Buffalo eclipses what Green has meant to Cincinnati.

A.J. Green's upside hasn't been in play for close to five years now.   No way you trade a known resource, for a player thats 30 years old, and has played nine games in two years just because he is tall and used to be good.   If you want to go that route Demaryius Thomas is a free agent.

A lot of good arguments - but nobody brought in money on this one yet.  AJ green is on a franchise tag of about 18 million - Browns base salary is 7.  We'd have to eat 3.2 million of bonus on JB's deal so we'd then essentially be dedicating 21 million of cap to AJ green for 1 year.  If you want to keep him after that year the tag goes up 20% so it becomes a 2 year deal for like 40 million or more.  

U also lose the asset of JB's contract in year 3.  Sub 10 million cap hit for a starting WR on a non-rookie deal is a real nice deal.  Year 3 also has like nothing guaranteed so if you decide to roll with Davis, you are free to do so with little in the way of cap effect.  He also has some trade value with a dollar value that low.  With Green you likely let him walk, not necessarily by choice, and possibly get a comp pick in 2022. 

This doesn't factor in the fact that AJ has not played football since basically October 2018 (he had 1 catch in december, but none in the 3 games in novemeber)...  

To me - it isn't worth the risk of re-injury, nor is it worth the financial risk after making the Diggs trade.  I'd consider this case closed.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

A lot of good arguments - but nobody brought in money on this one yet.  AJ green is on a franchise tag of about 18 million - Browns base salary is 7.  We'd have to eat 3.2 million of bonus on JB's deal so we'd then essentially be dedicating 21 million of cap to AJ green for 1 year.  If you want to keep him after that year the tag goes up 20% so it becomes a 2 year deal for like 40 million or more.  

U also lose the asset of JB's contract in year 3.  Sub 10 million cap hit for a starting WR on a non-rookie deal is a real nice deal.  Year 3 also has like nothing guaranteed so if you decide to roll with Davis, you are free to do so with little in the way of cap effect.  He also has some trade value with a dollar value that low.  With Green you likely let him walk, not necessarily by choice, and possibly get a comp pick in 2022. 

This doesn't factor in the fact that AJ has not played football since basically October 2018 (he had 1 catch in december, but none in the 3 games in novemeber)...  

To me - it isn't worth the risk of re-injury, nor is it worth the financial risk after making the Diggs trade.  I'd consider this case closed.

Yeah, what he said...

1) Too old

2) Too hurt

3) Too $$$

Other than that, Green's a catch!

2 hours ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

Would you pull this trade off if you were the Bills GM?

John Brown for AJ Green

Well I think we know your answer. 

AJ Green is about ready for the glue factory.  He is half unable to play and half unwilling to play.

Pass

Just now, hjnick said:

Yeah, what he said...

1) Too old

2) Too hurt

3) Too $$$

Other than that, Green's a catch!

Why not Dez Bryant? he hasn't played since 2017 and would cost like 5% of AJ green and its not guaranteed.  

Not that i think buffalo needs another WR at this point.  Top 4 is pretty much set with depth who can fill in. 

• Like (+1) 1

I never understood the "trade him while he has value" argument. It's like trading in a car that still runs well "because it has value." If it has value, then keep it!

And in this case, we'd be trading in a car that runs well for an older model that's been in the shop a lot lately and doesn't run as well. Sure, the older one was a better model at one time, but I'll take a reliable Chevy over a sputtering Cadillac any day.

No.   You know Diggs will want the ball.  Brown is a good teammate and will pay his role as a #2.  Green is not used to being a #2.  Besides, Brown and Josh already click, 

We might not have enough footballs to go around if you add Green.:    Diggs - Brown or AJ Green - Beasley - The TE - Singletary/Moss - 4th Wideout

Notwithstanding the many knee jerk reactions, this is actually an interesting proposition. Not sure what I would do. I doubt either are in the league 3 years from now. It really comes down to who I think is going to do the most this year. Not sure who that would be. 

This hypothetical is clearly coming from 20 years of no playoffs, always looking ahead to the next draft, what guy can we trade to get draft picks, if we just get this one guy the team will be amazing...For some people it takes longer to shake that feeling than others