Opinions on a hypothetical trade

On 4/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, WhoTom said:

I never understood the "trade him while he has value" argument. It's like trading in a car that still runs well "because it has value." If it has value, then keep it!

And in this case, we'd be trading in a car that runs well for an older model that's been in the shop a lot lately and doesn't run as well. Sure, the older one was a better model at one time, but I'll take a reliable Chevy over a sputtering Cadillac any day.

Depends on the circumstance.  Joe Montana had enough value for the 49ers to get a first round pick for him knowing they had Steve Young ready to go.  Jaguars traded Rob Johnson while he had value for a 1st and a 4th with Mark Brunell already at the helm.   Cowboys traded Herschel Walker when he had value because they needed a stock load of picks to build their team.  We traded Watkins and Darby for a 2nd and 3rd round pick when they had value.

I don't know if I'd consider John Brown a reliable Chevy given he too has an injury history, but I'd rather have him at a cheaper price than AJ Green at this point.  Especially given his chemistry with Allen and the uncertainty surrounding AJ Green's health.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

Would you pull this trade off if you were the Bills GM?

John Brown for AJ Green

AJ Green is not happy in Cincy and wants a new deal.  He is a perennial pro bowler, (7 pro bowls).  AJ Green has only played 4 full seasons out of 9. He probably would play 2 more years tops.  Personally I think for the short term he would be amazing on the other side of Diggs, almost like what James Lofton was for Andre Reed.  He is great with the intermediate and deep ball and has a knack for the end zone.

John Brown's value has never been higher.  He is coming off a great year with Buffalo and has 2 years remaining on his contract. He lacks size but is a very good route runner and came through in the clutch many times for us last year.  John Brown has only played 2 full seasons out of 6.

AJ Green (will be 32yrs old when the season begins)                      John Brown (will be 30yrs old when the season begins)                             

6'4                                                                                                                5'11

9 seasons                                                                                                   6 seasons

75 catches per season  avg                                                                    48 catches per season avg

1,113 yards per season avg                                                                    715 yards per season avg

8 td's per season avg                                                                                5 td's per season avg

7 pro bowls                                                                                                 0 pro bowls

I would do that trade,  Green gives us size and i think he has a couple of good seasons left.  

• Like (+1) 1