PHI Eagles projected to be $40+M over the cap in 2021

Mango

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They are certainly on the tail end of being closed. Next year, Thomas’ cap hit balloons, older players like Jordan and Davis will be on their way out, Kamara will walk and that team will look radically different in 2 years.

It’s Drew’s last year. The windows closing. They will see what happens at qb after but that’s a matter of opening a new window 

On 7/11/2020 at 6:25 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I couldn’t agree more which is what pissed me off so much about that bad call in the NFC Championship game.  Brees, Kamara, Thomas, and Peyton would have spanked the Patsies.  I was also so annoyed the Falcons imploded.  Then the great Cheaters would have been 4 and 4, and the Falcons would have won their first.  I like seeing teams that have never won the SB get their ring.  Just stinks for Vikings, Lions, Browns, Falcons, Chargers, Titans, Texans, Panthers, and evening the Jags.  It’s crazy in 54 years 28% of the league has never won a SB.

it’s really a shame the saints didn’t get another ring. Hell of a stretch of losses in the playoffs. 

that whiffed tackle on diggs, the obvious rams call, etc... i want to say in a 10 year run they had like 5 playoff losses on the final play (vikes x2, beastquake, rams, and I think niners if I remember correctly)  

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

They are certainly on the tail end of being closed. Next year, Thomas’ cap hit balloons, older players like Jordan and Davis will be on their way out, Kamara will walk and that team will look radically different in 2 years.

I think it already has. Though I hope I am wrong. 

On 4/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Without looking into it, what is Carson wentz dead cap next year? Maybe there was more to the jalen hurts pick

I agree. I think Philly knows that there probably gonna have to cut him loose if he doesn’t restructure or if he doesn’t stay healthy this year. I said the same thing when they drafted Hurts, I was thinking to myself it’s far fetched but could they be gearing up to replace wentz and send Wentz packing

9 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Wow .  How are the Eagles going to re-sign Jason Peters with that kind of cap disaster.   

They’re not, they’re in trouble in 2021 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They won't because he's done.  They don't need him at T and he wouldn't play G.

Agree. Lots of people saying they will re-sign him to play right guard now their right guard has gone down hurt.... that is ludicrous to me. Taking a 37 year old left tackle and trying to plug him in at guard?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well the dead cap in 2021 on Wentz is incredibly so I seriously doubt they cut him.  Really the first time he could be cut without a monster penalty is 2024.  That is if I read Spotrac correctly.  

They can get out AFTER 2021 for $24.5m with no single year of dead cap hit bigger than $15.5m. If they keep him an extra year (and get out after 2022) they can get out for $15m total and no single year hit bigger than $9m.

Basically he is definitely the Eagles starter for 2 more seasons. So he has two more opportunities to prove he can stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

it happens..they did what the Bills did back at the end of the "Flutie Era" in 1999 with that Music City FARCE game. They loaded up to win a SB...the Eagles won it now they will reap the rewards of winning a SB and having bloated contracts to have done so.

Bills did the same thing and got screwed over..that 1999 Music City FARCE game WAS 100% a SB contender/worthy team..they loaded up they got screwed by the league...and then they reaped the rewards of "loading up" for a SB run ....they just didnt make it...

If I were a Eagles fan I sure wouldnt be mad I mean just a couple years ago they were WORLD CHAMPS!!!   Would you really be mad if the Bills won the SB this year then 3 years from now with Josh's big contract they were in 'cap trouble" and had to cut guys..id not be if we had just won the SB in the last 3 years...

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well the dead cap in 2021 on Wentz is incredibly so I seriously doubt they cut him.  Really the first time he could be cut without a monster penalty is 2024.  That is if I read Spotrac correctly.  

They could trade him to someone else instead of cutting him 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Music City Debacle is my choice for that nightmare. Thanks Ralph for choosing Job Robson vs. Flutie who put you there.

Honestly even though I’m a Flutie fan, neither QB was really any good. I give more credit to our defense and running game in 99

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:57 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Desean Jackson is making the tough decisions just a little bit easier:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29422431/eagles-desean-jackson-says-hate-jewish-community-posting-anti-semitic-messages

Quoting Hitler with approval (or at least what you think was said by Hitler) is generally not a career-enhancing move.

They drafted two WR's high up this year and traded for Goodwin. The WR corps were getting crowded before D-Jax did this and now it looks like he is already solidifying his exit. D-Jax last year was banged up last year and is older for his type of player. The Eagles cap wise should see Goodwin, Jeffery, and D-Jax out the door by 2021 if not 2020. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They can get out AFTER 2021 for $24.5m with no single year of dead cap hit bigger than $15.5m. If they keep him an extra year (and get out after 2022) they can get out for $15m total and no single year hit bigger than $9m.

Basically he is definitely the Eagles starter for 2 more seasons. So he has two more opportunities to prove he can stay healthy.

Last year Wentz proved to me he can stay healthy. Even in 2018 and 2017 he played 11 and 13 games. He just has had some horrid luck getting hurt late in seasons. He has been banged up but he played all 16 games in 2019 and was a top 5ish QB. I think if he can overcome these injuries he will be more than worth that contract as hefty as it is. 

41 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Last year Wentz proved to me he can stay healthy. Even in 2018 and 2017 he played 11 and 13 games. He just has had some horrid luck getting hurt late in seasons. He has been banged up but he played all 16 games in 2019 and was a top 5ish QB. I think if he can overcome these injuries he will be more than worth that contract as hefty as it is. 

I am not as sold on him as a top 5 guy..... he did play well down the stretch in 2019 but he was bad early (albeit on a beaten up team). That said he is a franchise QB, he is a guy you pay 100 times out of 100 and I don't even think the contract was that hefty. You want to keep a franchise QB then you have to pay him. I think Wentz will be there long term in Philly, but he has to be more consistent for me to go all in on him as a QB. He is borderline top 10 for me at the moment. I do think the Eagles are concerned still about his ability to stay healthy though. And that is a legit concern. 

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not as sold on him as a top 5 guy..... he did play well down the stretch in 2019 but he was bad early (albeit on a beaten up team). That said he is a franchise QB, he is a guy you pay 100 times out of 100 and I don't even think the contract was that hefty. You want to keep a franchise QB then you have to pay him. I think Wentz will be there long term in Philly, but he has to be more consistent for me to go all in on him as a QB. He is borderline top 10 for me at the moment. I do think the Eagles are concerned still about his ability to stay healthy though. And that is a legit concern. 

I recall a few posters here were thinking that the Eagles should have traded Wentz and kept Foles :p   "Foles throws a catchable ball"   Lol

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They won't because he's done.  They don't need him at T and he wouldn't play G.

Eagles paid Peters a ton of money during his career there.  Was it really worth it ?  ?   Peters was essentially a  non-factor the season they won the SuperBowl because he was out before mid-season due to ACL. This seems to reinforce idea that teams can make a serious Superbowl run with replacement level left tackle.  I know folks here like to say you have to pay lots of money for your LT.

21 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Eagles paid Peters a ton of money during his career there.  Was it really worth it ?  ?   Peters was essentially a  non-factor the season they won the SuperBowl because he was out before mid-season due to ACL. This seems to reinforce idea that teams can make a serious Superbowl run with replacement level left tackle.  I know folks here like to say you have to pay lots of money for your LT.

Was Jason Peters a future HoFer worth it? 

Yes. Yes, he was. Next question. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Last year really impressed me with Wentz. He had zero receiving help outside of thier tight ends (which isn't nothing but you need more to throw to.) Alshon got hurt, D-Jax got hurt, Agholor was ineffective when out there and he still got hurt, and they even had an injury or two to their fourth and fifth string guys. 

The Eagles O-line also was super banged up and older so it wasn't like he was playing with a lot time or with a dominating rushing attack. Yet he still turned in a top 10 season at QB regardless of context (and when factoring in the context of the season you could argue top 5.) His issue is health after 2019 in my opinion. Because in 2017 before his first major injury he likely would have been the league MVP. He had a very shaky 2018 and got hurt eventually but in 2019 he really played really well. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Last year really impressed me with Wentz. He had zero receiving help outside of thier tight ends (which isn't nothing but you need more to throw to.) Alshon got hurt, D-Jax got hurt, Agholor was ineffective when out there and he still got hurt, and they even had an injury or two to their fourth and fifth string guys. 

The Eagles O-line also was super banged up and older so it wasn't like he was playing with a lot time or with a dominating rushing attack. Yet he still turned in a top 10 season at QB regardless of context (and when factoring in the context of the season you could argue top 5.) His issue is health after 2019 in my opinion. Because in 2017 before his first major injury he likely would have been the league MVP. He had a very shaky 2018 and got hurt eventually but in 2019 he really played really well. 

It definitely was not a top 5 season. Top 5 second half? That is a better argument. The first half of last year Wentz was part of the problem in Philly. He definitely played well down the stretch and when throwing to trash cans at receiver but the first 8 games he was holding the ball forever, missing wide open receivers and generally failing to run the offense efficiently. 

I have seen enough to believe Wentz can be a top 10 Quarterback... but not enough consistency to say that he definitely IS at this stage. He is right on the cusp for me.