PHI Eagles projected to be $40+M over the cap in 2021

Mango

Selfishly, if they have to purge talent next year, I wonder who is still in their prime we could use on this team.  We have an excellent team, but I’m always open to more talent.  DJ is all but gone, but that’s not enough, and no I would never want to see that guy on our team.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Selfishly, if they have to purge talent next year, I wonder who is still in their prime we could use on this team.  We have an excellent team, but I’m always open to more talent.  DJ is all but gone, but that’s not enough, and no I would never want to see that guy on our team.

No idea who will actually come available, but I’m probably looking at Ertz and the lines.  A vet like Lane Johnson or a player coming off their rookie deal that they can’t afford to keep   Maybe someone who wouldn’t be expensive like Hassan Ridgeway to rotate at DT.  Dunno, but something has to give. 

It’s such a weird situation.  Their cap structure looks like what you’d see for a team with a franchise QB at the end of his career where they’re just trying to milk out one more SB run before a tear down.  It’s like an industrial strength version of what the Steelers have done.  

Edited by BarleyNY

On 4/29/2020 at 1:43 AM, Mango said:

They can do it but they'd really be missing some players. 

Alshon's cap # is $18 mil, cut post-June 1 next year: $5 mil dead cap

Desean's cap # is $11 mil, cut post-June 1 next year: $2 mil dead cap

Goodwin's cap # is $7 mil, $0 guaranteed

Brandon Graham, who will be due $18 mil next year, will be 33, and has a $5 mil dead cap # post-June 1/

Jason Kelce who has talked about retirement each of the past 2 offseasons which would save $8 mil.

$30 mill in roster bonuses and option bonuses. If they turn those into signing bonuses they could cut a lot depending how long the various contracts are or will be.

But that'd just be kicking the can down the road. Still might be part of the plan, though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

$30 mill in roster bonuses and option bonuses. If they turn those into signing bonuses they could cut a lot depending how long the various contracts are or will be.

But that'd just be kicking the can down the road. Still might be part of the plan, though.

Nice to see this thread get kick started again. I started it months ago. With so much going on I would have to refresh. 

23 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The hell you say! You don't win trophies for being good! You win them for having the most cap space. I'm pretty sure I've got that right.

You do. Having cap space, when you've got a GM who knows what he's doing, can turn into wins. Having no cap space can turn into the GM having to give away guys he'd rather keep, which can then mean losses. It's certainly not an exact correlation but having cap space is absolutely a positive for a GM, giving him freedom.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Nice to see this thread get kick started again. I started it months ago. With so much going on I would have to refresh. 

Ah, that's why the figures were off. The Eagles are closer to $60 mill over next year now.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You do. Having cap space, when you've got a GM who knows what he's doing, can turn into wins. Having no cap space can turn into the GM having to give away guys he'd rather keep, which can then mean losses. It's certainly not an exact correlation but having cap space is absolutely a positive for a GM, giving him freedom.

What a horrendous misunderstanding. I hope you recover soon.

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

What a horrendous misunderstanding. I hope you recover soon.

What can I say.... Bills fans love cap space. It is almost ingrained in us. It is the hope "yea we sucked but we have 1 trillion dollars in cap space so we will be good soon." What makes you good is having high end players and those cost money to sign and retain. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

No idea who will actually come available, but I’m probably looking at Ertz and the lines.  A vet like Lane Johnson or a player coming off their rookie deal that they can’t afford to keep   Maybe someone who wouldn’t be expensive like Hassan Ridgeway to rotate at DT.  Dunno, but something has to give. 

It’s such a weird situation.  Their cap structure looks like what you’d see for a team with a franchise QB at the end of his career where they’re just trying to milk out one more SB run before a tear down.  It’s like an industrial strength version of what the Steelers have done.  

Yea their strengths are the lines. Quality and depth on both sides. Howie is a build it from the front GM. Their roster construct is slightly unusual which is, I think, explained by two things - 1. Howie subscribes to the Buddy Nix school of build your team then get your Quarterback when the kid is set up to succeed. So even at he point Wentz arrived they were a veteran team. 2. The two year GM disaster that was Chip Kelly. Many of the key pieces in their Superbowl run - Graham, Johnson, Kendricks, Cox, Kelce, Curry, Ertz (and Nick Foles of course!) had been drafted by Roseman before he ceded control to Kelly. Then in two years the only player Kelly drafted who ended up making a contribution to that team was Agholor. So when Howie took the reigns again he picked up where he left off building and managed to get his hands on a Quarterback by trading up for Wentz. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/8/2020 at 10:35 PM, GunnerBill said:

What can I say.... Bills fans love cap space. It is almost ingrained in us. It is the hope "yea we sucked but we have 1 trillion dollars in cap space so we will be good soon." What makes you good is having high end players and those cost money to sign and retain. 

Totally get your point.  I’m not a cap space guy either.  You spend it to be good.  But to be over that much for a mediocre team that likely would have not made the playoffs if they were in any other division is definitely interesting.

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Totally get your point.  I’m not a cap space guy either.  You spend it to be good.  But to be over that much for a mediocre team that likely would have not made the playoffs if they were in any other division is definitely interesting.

They are an old team, that is true. Most of their better players are 29 and over. But they won a Superbowl in their window and then have been back to the playoffs both seasons since, which is not that common for teams coming off a Superbowl appearance in the NFC. Being over the cap in that scenario is not that surprising or unusual. There are also some relatively easy decisions for them in the next 12 months to manage the cap going forward. The one really bad contract they did IMO was Brandon Graham. His extension felt like an emotional decision (the guy who made THE play in the Superbowl) rather than a rational one. 

In addition to the Eagles being over next by $60+ mil., Atlanta is over by $20 mil., and the Saints at $47 mil.  The Saints might be fine if Brees does retire as has been speculated before, but if I’m the Saints, Id do what I could to keep Brees for as long as he keeps playing at this high level.  P. Manning fell off that last year in performance, and some say Brady (I don’t think so, just his talent at WR and TE sucked), but Brees is playing just as well as he did 5 years ago.

If I were a Saints fan, I would be frustrated.  Three years ago that MN miracle was a night mare for them, then the next year the OPI was nuts.  Last year, they legitimately lost, but to be that close and keep losing in the end blows.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

In addition to the Eagles being over next by $60+ mil., Atlanta is over by $20 mil., and the Saints at $47 mil.  The Saints might be fine if Brees does retire as has been speculated before, but if I’m the Saints, Id do what I could to keep Brees for as long as he keeps playing at this high level.  P. Manning fell off that last year in performance, and some say Brady (I don’t think so, just his talent at WR and TE sucked), but Brees is playing just as well as he did 5 years ago.

If I were a Saints fan, I would be frustrated.  Three years ago that MN miracle was a night mare for them, then the next year the OPI was nuts.  Last year, they legitimately lost, but to be that close and keep losing in the end blows.

I fear the Saints window has closed. Of those three teams the one that is really in cap hell is Atlanta. Their cap situation is legitimately a mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

GB, you might be right, but IDK if you listen to movin the chains in the afternoons, but those guys have been breaking down each unit over the last few weeks.  They are on secondaries now, which Buffalo rated supposedly in the top 10.  They don’t rate the top 5 until the 9th day taking one division at a time.  It’s great as they don’t spend their whole show covering BLM or COVID-19.  Don’t get me wrong, I understand it should be part of a conversation as we’ve doing for months, but they really try to have a theme each day that is football related.

So what’s my point?  The Saints have ranked with each unit O Line, RB’s, WR/TE’s, Defensive fronts, etc.) in the top 10 based on the data.  Their window may be closing, but doubt it’s this year.  It’s pretty cool as they look at their starters, back ups, etc. etc.

Those Saints, Bucs games are going to be fun to watch..  Also, the NFCS is playing the AFCW, and NFCN this year so the Saints and Bucs will have the Chiefs, Packers, Broncos, and Vikings.  Those are going to be some fun matchups.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, you might be right, but IDK if you listen to movin the chains in the afternoons, but those guys have been breaking down each unit over the last few weeks.  They are on secondaries now, which Buffalo rated supposedly in the top 10.  They don’t rate the top 5 until the 9th day taking one division at a time.  It’s great as they don’t spend their whole show covering BLM or COVID-19.  Don’t get me wrong, I understand it should be part of a conversation as we’ve doing for months, but they really try to have a theme each day that is football related.

So what’s my point?  The Saints have ranked with each unit O Line, RB’s, WR/TE’s, Defensive fronts, etc.) in the top 10 based on the data.  Their window may be closing, but doubt it’s this year.  It’s pretty cool as they look at their starters, back ups, etc. etc.

Those Saints, Bucs games are going to be fun to watch..  Also, the NFCS is playing the AFCW, and NFCN this year so the Saints and Bucs will have the Chiefs, Packers, Broncos, and Vikings.  Those are going to be some fun matchups.

I really hope the Saints window hasn't closed. Drew is my favourite non Bill NFL player. But I don't think his deep ball is there anymore and so in tight games when you need that one play to break it open I am not sure it is there. 2 years ago should have been their 2nd ring. They'd have beaten the Pats in the Superbowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

I couldn’t agree more which is what pissed me off so much about that bad call in the NFC Championship game.  Brees, Kamara, Thomas, and Peyton would have spanked the Patsies.  I was also so annoyed the Falcons imploded.  Then the great Cheaters would have been 4 and 4, and the Falcons would have won their first.  I like seeing teams that have never won the SB get their ring.  Just stinks for Vikings, Lions, Browns, Falcons, Chargers, Titans, Texans, Panthers, and evening the Jags.  It’s crazy in 54 years 28% of the league has never won a SB.

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I couldn’t agree more which is what pissed me off so much about that bad call in the NFC Championship game.  Brees, Kamara, Thomas, and Peyton would have spanked the Patsies.  I was also so annoyed the Falcons imploded.  Then the great Cheaters would have been 4 and 4, and the Falcons would have won their first.  I like seeing teams that have never won the SB get their ring.  Just stinks for Vikings, Lions, Browns, Falcons, Chargers, Titans, Texans, Panthers, and evening the Jags.  It’s crazy in 54 years 28% of the league has never won a SB.

Every team needs an "emergency injury on field".  When they come out after halftime and opposing teams seems to have adjusted and you have not you need extended time to figure out what do do.  Emmitt Smith was good for a few of these plays a game where he would get injured, offense would get a break against dominating defense and when they came back out were able to handle it.  Emmitt would come back, sometimes after just 1 play off, and announcers would make comments how it was a miracle when they should have called it a fare citing how many other games he did same thing.

On 7/11/2020 at 4:59 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Yeah, "but to be that close and keep losing in the end blows" ... know any fans that can relate to that ????

On 7/11/2020 at 6:55 AM, GunnerBill said:

I really hope the Saints window hasn't closed. Drew is my favourite non Bill NFL player. But I don't think his deep ball is there anymore and so in tight games when you need that one play to break it open I am not sure it is there. 2 years ago should have been their 2nd ring. They'd have beaten the Pats in the Superbowl. 

They are certainly on the tail end of being closed. Next year, Thomas’ cap hit balloons, older players like Jordan and Davis will be on their way out, Kamara will walk and that team will look radically different in 2 years.