PHI Eagles projected to be $40+M over the cap in 2021

Mango

On 4/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

Bills fans have to get used to the idea that being good is better than having cap space. 

The hell you say! You don't win trophies for being good! You win them for having the most cap space. I'm pretty sure I've got that right.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

Not sure Alshon will be on the roster this year let alone next year. He is done there. Hated by coaches and hated by the locker room. They are keeping him in the hope someone will trade for him. But eventually they will cut him.

As for the rest... this is what you do when you think you are in a Superbowl window. You load up. Bills fans have to get used to the idea that being good is better than having cap space. 

Nailed it.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

As for the rest... this is what you do when you think you are in a Superbowl window. You load up. Bills fans have to get used to the idea that being good is better than having cap space. 

But what about my Cash-to-Cap plan!?!?!?

(Remember those terrible days?)

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But what about my Cash-to-Cap plan!?!?!?

(Remember those terrible days?)

Yea and it is those days that have a hangover effect still because too many Bills fans see the cap as an inflexible thing due the cap to cash days. It is inflexible if you will never spend more cash than the cap limit in a single year because you can't manipulate the cap and move money about. The successful teams who compete for titles are constantly manipulating the cap. It is how you are supposed to do it. Once you start seeing the cap that way your whole ethos around cap space changes.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:34 PM, FireChans said:

Lol, this cap problem is a product of them winning a Super Bowl. And it’s not a real problem. 

Kinda agree. Part of me would gladly welcome their situation for a Lombardi ? in the trophy case. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

He isnt worth the headache at this point in his career.  The move was one of those weird reunion trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice things.

Not sure his owner would be too keen on his recent reading material either.

Probably doesn't help that he (Desean) isn't good at recognizing fake quotes as well.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He isnt worth the headache at this point in his career.  The move was one of those weird reunion trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice things.

Not sure his owner would be too keen on his recent reading material either.

Oy vey. I checked: Jeffrey Lurie is Jewish.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Not to mention the GM, Howie Roseman 

oops

That Desean Jackson is one clever guy. He apparently arrived at this wisdom after being exposed -- for the first time -- to the intricate theories of one Louis Farrakhan. Which reminded me: Louis Farrakhan is still alive? I hadn't heard/thought about him in a couple decades.

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That Desean Jackson is one clever guy. He apparently arrived at this wisdom after being exposed -- for the first time -- to the intricate theories of one Louis Farrakhan. Which reminded me: Louis Farrakhan is still alive? I hadn't heard/thought about him in a couple decades.

Living in Brooklyn I last heard if he survived the COVID-19 pandemic.

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup. If they can void his guaranteed ($4.8M) portion of his salary then he’s probably gone.  That would make it a slightly positive cap move this season and would knock $9M off the books next season (less his low cost replacement). 

This situation really illustrates the pitfalls of playing the restructure game to create cap space.  It’s not that bad with Jackson, but if this had been one of their highly paid DLmen or one of a few other players it would be way, way worse.

Still, their WR situation could be really bad.  Alshon Jeffery is pretty much done in Philly and likely now DeSean Jackson looks that way too.  They’d better hope their rooks came ready to roll because that unit looks like it could torpedo an otherwise talented and very highly paid roster.