PHI Eagles projected to be $40+M over the cap in 2021

Mango

1 minute ago, Mango said:

They have lost more games than they have won in 4 of their last 8 seasons. Drew Bees is THE ONLY reason they were not a dumpster fire in those years, and the reason why they can go from 7 wins to 13 wins in a single off season. A guy like Wentz has yet to show that kind of ability. 

They have had double digit wins in 6 of their last 10 seasons. Their worst record was 1 game under .500.

Like I said, much ado is made about the cap. Every year they were supposedly in cap hell. Whether they went 7-9 or 13-3.

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lol, this cap problem is a product of them winning a Super Bowl. And it’s not a real problem. 

It is partially the product of overpaying guys that were on a SB winning team.  Does anyone really believe that Alshon Jeffrey is worth a cap hit of $18M under any circumstance?  The structure of the agreements for the players that will likely be released leaves a significant amount of dead money.  Contracts structured like this doesn't point to a great deal of competence on the part of the GM. It isn't a problem at the moment but will be as they start releasing guys next year and can't sign enough good free agents to fill the holes.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Their starting 4 D-Linemen carry a ~$70M cap hit this year, and IMO they aren't that good. Yikes.

It is in 2021 rather than this year but I agree with this. Fletcher Cox is elite. He is worth every penny. The other 3 are not worth what they will get in 2021 and none of them are cuttable. 

7 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Howie Roseman is an awful GM that handed out deals to nearly every player who was on the SB team as a reward...about as dumb as it gets besides maybe BoB.

Howie will be on the hot seat and most likely fired at season's end

The only guy dumber than the guy who won a Super Bowl is the guy who’s won the division 4 of the past 5 seasons?

On 4/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Ennjay said:

Can someone here confirm for me:  for dead money purposes, a retirement is the same as a cut, right?  So a team can't fix a cap issue like that by just letting a player walk into the sunset?

That is correct.  Same thing for cap purposes.  The only rare exception to that is if a player retires soon after receiving a large singing bonus, then the team may able to recoup some of that signing bonus cash.  Really rare situation that requires a team to actually get money back from the player in order for it to come off the cap.

The retirement has to be elective, not due to injury.  That’s why Wood changed his press conference at the last minute.  His agent must’ve told him not to take any chances by making it seem like he was electing to retire.  It had to be because he was physically unable to continue playing. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can someone here confirm for me:  for dead money purposes, a retirement is the same as a cut, right?  So a team can't fix a cap issue like that by just letting a player walk into the sunset?

Not exactly.  A good example is Barry Sanders - he retired early and Lions demanded back portion of bonus back and he refused to do at once. Kept saying "I might unretire and paid back the bonus year to year.   If the player is treated like a congressman/senator and gets to keep the bonus (campaign chest) then it is like cutting player.  Not sure what happens if retired player has no money because he spent it all on jewelry which hoes took and insurance company will not reimburse for.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:55 AM, billsfan89 said:

The Eagles are masters of the salary cap, they will be fine. They will make a few cuts and restructure a deal or two and get comfortably under the cap. One of the reasons the Eagles are consistently competitive is their quality coaching, solid drafting and good salary cap management. They might manage the salary cap better than any team in the league. Knowing how the Eagles maneuvered in the past it wouldn’t shock me to see them go from 40 million over the cap to 30-40 million under.

With the receivers they drafted this week I think they can easily afford to lost Godwin, Alshon and Desean and just replace them with a draft pick. All three are banged up a lot. That would save about 30 million on the cap. Brandon Graham saves you another 13 million, which gets you just under the cap. I am sure they can maneuver around a few other contracts and cut a few mid level players to get them enough to service their draft picks and have emergency money and maybe depending on how they pull it off sign a couple of mid-level contracts. 

Desean Jackson is making the tough decisions just a little bit easier:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29422431/eagles-desean-jackson-says-hate-jewish-community-posting-anti-semitic-messages

Quoting Hitler with approval (or at least what you think was said by Hitler) is generally not a career-enhancing move.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2020 at 3:53 PM, JerseyBills said:

Wow. .

They'll be releasing some great talent next year. I'd love to ***** DE Graham 

Did you mean Lindsey Graham?

The Eagles need 2 full rosters just to keep up with the injuries. Their success, however limited, post Super Bowl is impressive with how banged up they've been. They might have even made it to the 2nd round last year if not for a clearly illegal helmet to helmet. 

On 4/28/2020 at 1:16 PM, BarleyNY said:

Not all that much smaller.  Those numbers are based on a salary cap increase from $198.2M to $209M.  It might be more than that, but it’s not going to be by much. 

Or it could go down if they have no fans and especially if they need to cancel part of season.

It depends on if they go after prorated bonuses.  Barry Sanders would not repay bonuses in full and would repay each year earning money on interest.  Each year he said "I might unretire" but never did.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:22 PM, Mango said:

I know cap numbers can always be worked and tweaked, but even with accounting for $10M in cap increase and roll over, they are still looking at needing to clear $40M in space. I am not sure I have ever seen anybody over that much. Maybe the Saints at one point?  Absolutely wild. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/2021/

A lot of re-structure bonuses in there too.  Jackson, Goodwin, Jeffery are targets.  Can push some base salary from wentz, cox, slay.  Extension for barnett as well.  But they're not likely to be players in FA either. Could be the year they eat dead money and reload in 2022.