[paywall] Athletic 2020 draft class rank by team - Bills #2

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

another great draft.....extend beane now....before his price goes higher than tre...lol

The draft looks good on paper should be 2 starter types with potentially 3 if one of the mid to late round guys pans out and 1-2 role players. All that with no first round pick too. Not too shabby on paper. Beane and McD deserve to be extended now. What they have done to not only get to winning but put the team into a 2-3 year window of contention is a sight to see.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Not sure a kicker drafted with pick 188 can be considered a reach.

But I agree with the premise of the article - Beane has donned his wizards hat yet again.

Some “experts” always espouse to never taking a kicker or punter with a draft pick. Those experts are idiots. It’s all dependent on the status of the team taking that kicker. The Bills can afford to do it. 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It is nice that they are giving recognition for a good draft, but if they are saying that Tyler Bass is the 14th biggest reach in the draft then their methodology is flawed. They should have the picks weighted according to their draft position. 

Missing on Aaron Maybin (1st round) was far more costly than missing on Cary Harris (6th round). At 11 in the first round the Bills had the opportunity to pick Clay Matthews, Malcolm Jenkins or even LeSean McCoy. In the sixth round you had the opportunity to get Julian Edelman and not a whole lot more. 

Or in 2002 Mike Williams was drafted 4th overall. The Bills had the opportunity to draft Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney or even Bryant McKinnie (who most people considered the best tackle that year). 

The biggest reaches should be weighted on how valuable the draft pick was in the first place. No sixth round pick, no matter how bad it was should be the 14th biggest reach. The draft pick is just not that valuable.  

Edited by bills_believer
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I didn’t know you were such a shill for them. Or so humorless now. You used to be fun.

Dude what the hell are you talking about?

?

Edited by eball

My bad for double posting.

Just deleted a double thread I made.

I don't know why no one's posted the ranking of our players with respect to where they were drafted.

AJ Espenosa ranked 23rd.

We drafted him 54

Zack Moss ranked 76th.

We drafted him 86th

Gabriel Davis ranked 120th.

We drafted him 128

Jake Fromme ranked 85th.

We drafted him 167

Tyler Bass was 281st.

We drafted him 188

Isaiah Hodgins ranked 150th.

We drafted him 207

Dane Jackson ranked 167th

We drafted him 239

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My bad for double posting.

Just deleted a double thread I made.

I don't know why no one's posted the ranking of our players with respect to where they were drafted.

AJ Espenosa ranked 23rd.

We drafted him 54

Zack Moss ranked 76th.

We drafted him 86th

Gabriel Davis ranked 120th.

We drafted him 128

Jake Fromme ranked 85th.

We drafted him 167

Tyler Bass was 281st.

We drafted him 188

Isaiah Hodgins ranked 150th.

We drafted him 207

Dane Jackson ranked 167th

We drafted him 239

Who's rankings? 

I don't know anyone who had Fromm at 85. That's mid 3rd at this point with compensatory picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Love The Athletic. Great that they took value and original draft capital into consideration. Instead of ranking the Bills as a loser because they had no first round pick they took the capital values into consideration. There’s a reason they actually are worth the subscription fee. They have well thought out articles that are actually worth reading. 

16 hours ago, bills_believer said:

It is nice that they are giving recognition for a good draft, but if they are saying that Tyler Bass is the 14th biggest reach in the draft then their methodology is flawed. They should have the picks weighted according to their draft position. 

Missing on Aaron Maybin (1st round) was far more costly than missing on Cary Harris (6th round). At 11 in the first round the Bills had the opportunity to pick Clay Matthews, Malcolm Jenkins or even LeSean McCoy. In the sixth round you had the opportunity to get Julian Edelman and not a whole lot more. 

Or in 2002 Mike Williams was drafted 4th overall. The Bills had the opportunity to draft Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney or even Bryant McKinnie (who most people considered the best tackle that year). 

The biggest reaches should be weighted on how valuable the draft pick was in the first place. No sixth round pick, no matter how bad it was should be the 14th biggest reach. The draft pick is just not that valuable.  

It's based solely on the big board.  Most of the reaches are later round picks.  He was picked at 188 and was 281 on the big board.  Based on that, at that point there are 100 more valuable players that they could have selected.