P Dustin Colquitt Released by KC

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Why? He is only 37 (not too old for a punter) and had a good season last year.

Uh, yes. 37 is old for any position. There's only a handful of players older than him at any position, and no punters older than him.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Uh, yes. 37 is old for any position. There's only a handful of players older than him at any position, and no punters older than him.

He is coming off of a good season. Do punters suddenly fall off frequently from age 36 to 37 like running backs at age 30?

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

He is coming off of a good season. Do punters suddenly fall off frequently from age 36 to 37 like running backs at age 30?

His birthday is in a few days, so he's basically 38. I'd say a dropoff could happen at any moment. Obviously the Chiefs were willing to move on from the oldest active punter in the league.

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

His birthday is in a few days, so he's basically 38. I'd say a dropoff could happen at any moment. Obviously the Chiefs were willing to move on from the oldest active punter in the league.

He had a big cap hit relative to a punter and the Chiefs needed any cap space they could get. This was more of a cap casualty than a performance issue. I wouldn't cut Bojo to sign him but I would sign him to a one year deal and have Bojo and him competing in camp. I think he could be an upgrade to the current punting situation and for a decent one year deal he would be worth it and an upgrade over Bojo. 

If they don't do it and they go with an UDFA to compete with Bojo in camp I would be OK. But I think with a team ready to compete why not bring in a veteran punter to ensure every last nook and cranny of this team is as good as it can be?

16 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He had a big cap hit relative to a punter and the Chiefs needed any cap space they could get. This was more of a cap casualty than a performance issue. I wouldn't cut Bojo to sign him but I would sign him to a one year deal and have Bojo and him competing in camp. I think he could be an upgrade to the current punting situation and for a decent one year deal he would be worth it and an upgrade over Bojo. 

If they don't do it and they go with an UDFA to compete with Bojo in camp I would be OK. But I think with a team ready to compete why not bring in a veteran punter to ensure every last nook and cranny of this team is as good as it can be?

They also signed Vedvik to compete. I don't know if there are enough opportunities for three punters to compete for the job. I'd rather have the younger guys compete for a longer term job than have a one year rental of the oldest punter in the league, but that's just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

They also signed Vedvik to compete. I don't know if there are enough opportunities for three punters to compete for the job. I'd rather have the younger guys compete for a longer term job than have a one year rental of the oldest punter in the league, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think much of either Vedvik or Bojo to not try and get a good veteran punter in there. My opinion would be to cut Vedvik or Bojo and bring in Colquitt to compete with whomever doesn't get cut. But it is a fair enough take to say just stick with the young guys. I just don't really like what's on the roster as far as punters go so a vet coming off a good year seems like the better option for a competition than 2 guys with shaky at best track records.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not sure if he’s the answer but we have to be able to do better than Ba-Joke-uez.

When is McB going to realize that they have the worst punter in the NFL. Just blows my mind how Bozo survives? At least give Turk a chance. I'm tired of watching 35 yard punts shanked down the sideline. 

33 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think much of either Vedvik or Bojo to not try and get a good veteran punter in there. My opinion would be to cut Vedvik or Bojo and bring in Colquitt to compete with whomever doesn't get cut. But it is a fair enough take to say just stick with the young guys. I just don't really like what's on the roster as far as punters go so a vet coming off a good year seems like the better option for a competition than 2 guys with shaky at best track records.

Or cut both their arses and let Turk & Colquitt battle it out.

12 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I was about to respond that Bojo was fine last year but then I looked up punters and saw that he was ranked 33rd in punting average last year.

Whelp.

Just watching the games would tell you that Bojo was far from being fine. He’s horrible and I’m baffled that he still has a job considering how much McD loves him some Special Teams.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

He was 27th in net punting and had multiple punts blocked.  He’s washed.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Colquitt is almost 38 years old, has made $40,000,000 in his career in the league, and has multiple local endorsement deals in Kansas City where he, his wife, and his kids have lived for 16 years.  He’s not moving to Buffalo to compete for a job that would pay him the veteran minimum for one season that may not even happen.  He’ll take a cushy job with a local television affiliate and call it a career.

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Colquitt is almost 38 years old, has made $40,000,000 in his career in the league, and has multiple local endorsement deals in Kansas City where he, his wife, and his kids have lived for 16 years.  He’s not moving to Buffalo to compete for a job that would pay him the veteran minimum for one season that may not even happen.  He’ll take a cushy job with a local television affiliate and call it a career.

unless, of course, he still wants to punt.

• Haha (+1) 1