Very interesting Podcast episode about Super Bowl XXV

Logic

13 minutes ago, boco357 said:

How about good ol' Billy B instructing his defense to fake injuries to slow down no huddle. Shocking.

I think I read at some point that he would also tell his lineman to occasionally "accidentally" kick the ball at the LOS to delay things, also.

I can't remember that from the game.  But I drank a lot that night.

It's amazing the difference a few feet can make. If that kick is just a few feet to the left then this is easily the best SB ever for me. Imagine how history would be different.

And can I just take this moment to gripe about Thurman not getting the MVP. I don't care what anyone says, it's bull####. The MVP isn't the best player from the winning team, it's the best player on the field. If you could pick one player from the Super Bowl and he'll play like that for a majority of games for you, who would you pick? That's the way it should be thought of. And when you look at it that way, Thomas was clearly the MVP.

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Like (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And Kelly wouldn't use him enough 'cause he wanted the MVP and he took Belichick's defense as a challenge.

I don't know about all that, and I'm not saying you're wrong though. What I do know is Jimbo screwed up the final drive and he didn't get the Bills in better FG range for Scotty. That was the killer.

• Like (+1) 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Bills lost because of their own inability to keep the Giants offense off the field, our run defense was atrocious. Conlan was awful and Odomes was worse. The Giants offensive line was destroying us on the run game. We couldn’t even stop an average QB like Hostetler from rolling out without over pursuing. Honestly we flat out were over played and Belichick neutralized Kelly. Norwood wasn’t the reason we lost that game. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, Marv Levy said:

I don't know about all that, and I'm not saying you're wrong though. What I do know is Jimbo screwed up the final drive and he didn't get the Bills in better FG range for Scotty. That was the killer.

I think they should have ran 1 more play, the Bills knew Norwood had limited range and it would be a gamble either way. I don’t even fault Norwood anymore. The Bills played like absolute trash on defense the majority of the game. Outside of the near strip sack safety, they played uninspiring defense. We couldn’t keep them off the field and they controlled the clock, which left Kelly with limited opportunities. What opportunities Kelly did have, Belichick neutralized him. Other than the deep pass to Lofton, Kelly was left with short dump passes all game. Belichick has made a career doing this to great QBs. 

People say this Bills team was better than that Giants team, but I saw a team that had weaknesses that could be exploited with a competent defensive scheme and a team who could control the trenches. Other than Smith and Biscuit, our defense left a lot to be desired. Conlan and Odomes are extremely overrated. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Two words: Mark Ingram.

He was good, but he wasn’t the reason they won. Their Oline and Defense were just better. As much hate as Belichick gets here, he’s good, and he had a ton of talent to work with on the Giants. We couldn’t stop the run and Odomes can’t cover a wounded duck. 

If we we would have stopped the run, we would have won. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll go to my grave believing that the BB defensive game was overrated. 
The Bills has the ball 20 minutes and scored 19 points and should of had 22. 
This was lost when the Bills offense was on the sidelines for an hour and a half real time from the last drive of the first half through the first drive of the second half. 90 minutes standing on the sidelines.

The Bills offense could have given the ball to Thurman more but this game was all on the Bills defense.

2 hours ago, Mcdermott said:

I’ll go to my grave believing that the BB defensive game was overrated. 
The Bills has the ball 20 minutes and scored 19 points and should of had 22. 
This was lost when the Bills offense was on the sidelines for an hour and a half real time from the last drive of the first half through the first drive of the second half. 90 minutes standing on the sidelines.

The Bills offense could have given the ball to Thurman more but this game was all on the Bills defense.

I’m going to disagree with you. The Bills punted the ball 6 times in the Super Bowl. They barely even booted the ball against Miami and Oakland. Kelly just simply was neutralized by Belichick. Kelly had 1 pass the entire game over 20 yards. With Lofton and Reed! I hate to break it to you, but the Giants defense was better than ours and that was what won the super bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 8:48 AM, Marv Levy said:

Thurmanator was definitely MVP of SuperBowl 25. Screw Otis Anderson!!

As much as I think Thurman is a great player, he played so well in the Super Bowl mostly because of the game plan. The majority of the time, the Giants had most of their men playing off the line. While I still think Thurman was realistically the most talented and valuable player, given the circumstances, I fully understand why Anderson won MVP. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 1:25 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

The Bills lost because of their own inability to keep the Giants offense off the field, our run defense was atrocious. Conlan was awful and Odomes was worse. The Giants offensive line was destroying us on the run game. We couldn’t even stop an average QB like Hostetler from rolling out without over pursuing. Honestly we flat out were over played and Belichick neutralized Kelly. Norwood wasn’t the reason we lost that game. 

Been awhile since I watched it.  My recollection is that Jeff Wright and Shane Conlan were among their better defenders that game and the comment earlier about 3rd downs being the difference agrees with my thoughts.  The  missed tackles on Ingram's 3rd and 13 conversion were the defensive fail of the game.  Shane rarely played on third and long.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Been awhile since I watched it.  My recollection is that Jeff Wright and Shane Conlan were among their better defenders that game and the comment earlier about 3rd downs being the difference agrees with my thoughts.  The  missed tackles on Ingram's 3rd and 13 conversion were the defensive fail of the game.  Shane rarely played on third and long.

Shane was routinely overplaying plays and when we needed aggression on run plays, I never saw him in proper position to make quick stops. Giants were routinely ripping off 3-5 yard plays. The running lanes were hardly ever plugged. I’ve always thought Conlan was overrated and watching him in the Super Bowl didn’t change my mind. Odomes played even worse than Conlan. Talley was fairly mediocre in the Super Bowl too, between him and Conlan, I wasn’t impressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 1:25 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

But he was the last Bill on the field to contribute ‘another’ reason, and most visible. Had he made the kick, the narrative would’ve turned to the Bills did just enough when it mattered, in all 3 phases of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

But he was the last Bill on the field to contribute ‘another’ reason, and most visible. Had he made the kick, the narrative would’ve turned to the Bills did just enough when it mattered, in all 3 phases of the game.

This is true, but my comment is mostly for the people who strictly scold Norwood as the main reason we lost. He wasn’t, and it wasn’t even really in the range he is good at either. I’m more mad at our run defenders and Belichick’s ability to neutralize good QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1