Do we have the Deepest D-Line in the league?

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think thats the hope - having two like good-not-great ends in hughes and addison helps.  And being able to rotate in AJ and Murphy.. moving guys like jefferson around on 3rd downs - it should be able to create pressure.  

I'm personally very excited about AJ. I don't know what everyone else sees, but when I watch him play he seems great. Everyone says he isn't fast enough or athletic enough. I don't see it. He looks like a monster to me and I believe he'll be a great player and a feared pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I know Murphy is a popular cut in many peoples posts, but i really feel like johnson would have to play really well in camp for it to be justified.  Murphy has forced 4 fumbles, recovered 3  in 2 years, has 9 sacks - and had 2 sacks in the playoff game.  I know in 2018 he was hurt in camp, which probably lingered all season long.  Towards the end of 2019 he was bringing some pretty good pressure.  We'll see what ends up happening, but I think he's got a good chance to stick for the year.

I think the sticks around this year; I believe his contract is up for renewal after the 2020 season.  So yeah, it looks like he will stay this year.  I'm not sure why people count on Darryl Johnson, a 5th round (or 6th?) pick from NC A&T; he is depth.  I don't count on him making his presence felt.

Murphy has some decent stats, but I suspect more context needs to be applied to his stats.  In other words, I think Murphy amassed his stats in a couple of games against a few favorable matchups rather than anything consistent.  Murphy did have a good playoff game.  I just don't think he'll ever be consistently impactful since he doesn't maintain an edge well, leading to him being picked on in screens, misdirections, and other running plays around his edge.

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I know they might not be in the top-5 or even top-10 in terms of high end talent (no Von Miller/Myles Garrett type of Freak), but overall I believe we may have the deepest D-Line in the league.

As a base defense, With everyone healthy, we can make two starting caliber defensive lines and have a starting caliber player as my 9th defensive lineman...

Group 1:

LDE: Epenesa

1-Tech: Phillips

3-Tech: Oliver

RDE: Hughes

Group 2:

LDE: Murphy

1-Tech: Lotulelei

3-Tech: Jefferson

RDE: Addison

Extras: Butler & D. Johnson

Our starting lineup is very good, no doubt.  I'm actually a little higher on Jefferson (if he can stay healthy) over Oliver but I'm sure I'm in the minority on this board.  A 100% healthy Jefferson is one of the better DT's in the league if you look back at what he did in Seattle.  I do still think we could add a replacement for Lotulelei, and Addison as both are average in my opinion.  HOWEVER, saying that, as backups, that's not bad.

Best in the league?  Good moves by Beane this offseason for sure!  Epenesa is going to be a difference-maker, and and Jefferson is excellent.  If Oliver goes down, the DL won't miss a beat.

I took some heat during the draft by stating that I think that a draftee could actually start on this team.  I agree.....  I overstepped while getting all wound up and excited about the draft.    ME  <------------  eating crow.

REALLY what I was so worked up about was my MAJOR dislike for Lotulelei.  I really wanted him gone this year, and replaced with a youngster with starting potential.  I was even holding out AFTER the draft, and hoped that we would land UDFA Benito Jones, and/or Raekwon Williams, both of which I think WOULD make our roster at least on the practice squad.

So yes, this is a great DL now that Beane made some changes over last year.  We were average against the run and while that has to do with linebacker play as well, I just didn't see our guys eating up blocks and/or making their way into quarterbacks faces often enough.

This year we will see an improvement.

Can't wait!!!

• Like (+1) 1

The versatility of guys like Jefferson, Epenesa, and even Oliver to line up from multiple different positions and still be effective is going to be fun to watch.  There will be countless different combinations of four guys you could throw at an offense in any given situation.  The fact that they will all be fresh in a heavy rotation will just add to the chaos for opposing offenses.  Really excited to see our D in action.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills DL and much of its roster are really an example of depth vs star power. A group of players that the talent level doesn't drop much but also does not have the elite level player either. I think the positional groups are all impacted differently here. If I am building a team I want an elite pass rusher and elite WR. The rest of the roster I want the depth approach. Well QB obviously I take the elite QB vs mediocre depth. But OL I want depth and ability to plug and play as they really depend on the unit as a whole. I would make the same argument with the secondary as they must work together and the sum can be better than the parts. LB's I want as many capable bodies as I can find. RB by committee as shown to work. QB, WR and Edge Rusher are much about isolation and winning one on one battles. So 5 Cole Beasley's vs 1 Michael Thomas and a Cole Beasley with a Robert Foster and a Duke Williams wins. 

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t get the Phillips love. I’ve seen it a bunch on here. Butler or Star will start with Oliver. Whoever doesn’t will get the other side of an almost 50-50 split. Phillips has accomplished nothing, looked small and overmatch, and is coming off a serious injury. I get that Phillips looks like Kyle and is all Bills Mafia and stuff, but they did not sign Butler to be a third string depth player. That’s Harrison Phillips. 

Edit: And I really like Phillips and would not count him out, but penciling him in as a starter at the 1 tech on a team with Butler and Star, and coming off a major injury just makes no sense.

Phillips looked great before the injury last year. He was better than Star.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm personally very excited about AJ. I don't know what everyone else sees, but when I watch him play he seems great. Everyone says he isn't fast enough or athletic enough. I don't see it. He looks like a monster to me and I believe he'll be a great player and a feared pass rusher.

I agree with your view on Epenesa. I think the bend thing is overblown when you see how well he uses his hands and leverage.

Bend is needed more for pure speed rushers to keep from being pushed upfield past the QB. I think Epenesa will average 10+ sacks a season for his career. 

For those wanting us to still sign Clowney. 

I heard and read alot of Seahawk fans and team reporters more upset they lost Q. Jefferson than Clowney.

Im definitely excited to see what Jefferson will add to the Dline. As I've heard he may be the steal of free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

You must be channeling Mark Gaughan of The Buffalo News; he wrote about this yesterday.  The "first four" aren't the best in the league but nobody can rotate 10 guys like the Bills can, which is perfect for McD's style of defense.  They are going to have to let one or two pretty good players go (or try to trade them) because it's unlikely they go with more than 9 on the 53.

Nice problem to have.

Was looking to see if someone would bring this up. When you look at the teams with so-called stars, those players typically see over 75% of the snaps. For example, teams that also run a 4-3, SF had Armstead and Bosa with 75% of the D snaps; Jax had Campbell and Ngoukwe  > 75%.  For the Bills, Hughes and Murphy were about 65%. Over the course of a game, you would expect the rotation to have a stronger impact.  Would be interesting to dig into the numbers on first half vs second....

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Answer- I don't know.

What I do know is every hardcore fan knows the depth the OP is talking about for HIS team and then knows diddly about other teams depth. So in reality we can't say.  

Exactly. Most people knew nothing about Jefferson, Butler, Addison before we signed them. On another team we would not be talking about them being the best DL. They come hear and clearly they are awesome. It is the nature of being a fan. 

I'd say when the discussion starts, the Bills names will be amongst the first ones to be thrown out there.

They go 5 deep at DT and DE, including Jefferson who can be virtually any position.

Most around here don't like Murphy, but he is pretty good in a rotation.

High draft choices Phillips, Oliver and Epeneas the last three years can take this team's D over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I know they might not be in the top-5 or even top-10 in terms of high end talent (no Von Miller/Myles Garrett type of Freak), but overall I believe we may have the deepest D-Line in the league.

As a base defense, With everyone healthy, we can make two starting caliber defensive lines and have a starting caliber player as my 9th defensive lineman...

Group 1:

LDE: Epenesa

1-Tech: Phillips

3-Tech: Oliver

RDE: Hughes

Group 2:

LDE: Murphy

1-Tech: Lotulelei

3-Tech: Jefferson

RDE: Addison

Extras: Butler & D. Johnson

If you are going to group the DTs by their technique you should do the same for the ends because they don't have the same role

Sean usually employs a 9 technique end and a 7 technique , sometimes 5 ,which have completely different jobs

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think the sticks around this year; I believe his contract is up for renewal after the 2020 season.  So yeah, it looks like he will stay this year.  I'm not sure why people count on Darryl Johnson, a 5th round (or 6th?) pick from NC A&T; he is depth.  I don't count on him making his presence felt.

Murphy has some decent stats, but I suspect more context needs to be applied to his stats.  In other words, I think Murphy amassed his stats in a couple of games against a few favorable matchups rather than anything consistent.  Murphy did have a good playoff game.  I just don't think he'll ever be consistently impactful since he doesn't maintain an edge well, leading to him being picked on in screens, misdirections, and other running plays around his edge.

That is my biggest gripe with Murphy...... consistency.

And, at worst, Johnson the only DL contributor on ST, so he has that going for him. But he might be better than you give him credit for as he was in the rotation a lot of the times during the season.

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Our DL depth is fantastic.  I can't remember a time when it was better.

But let me ask, Addison doesn't start?   The guy's had 39 sacks in the past 4 years.

Agree. 

Unless Epenesa totally blows up training camp and becomes virtually unstoppable I don't see him starting over the vet Addison.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Addison will for sure be in group 1.

Harry will be in group 2.  

To answer the OP’s question....we are definitely top 3.

yes

and yes
and yes. Nice place to be as I am sure that was McBeanes goal.

next draft? LBs lots of em !

In every shape and form to defend against any sort of defense  lol

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I'd say when the discussion starts, the Bills names will be amongst the first ones to be thrown out there.

They go 5 deep at DT and DE, including Jefferson who can be virtually any position.

Most around here don't like Murphy, but he is pretty good in a rotation.

High draft choices Phillips, Oliver and Epeneas the last three years can take this team's D over the top.

It is a good post. That have another sort of rotation working in as well.
Age. Solid vets, each one. Who are leaders and likely can teach quite a bit.
 3 -5 years from now you refill the well. Simple genius

Develop players to best players they can be , and then teach them to mentor the next generation. Solid Coaching method for the NFL. Simple and very effective for long term excellence.

and other team sport i imagine ??                          Maybe Sabres need some McBeanes running the show lol

• Like (+1) 2