“Mini-draft” in July?

whorlnut

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree with this. That scenario seems to be the most reasonable but not necessarily ideal.  Oregon/Ohio State, Texas/LSU, Clemson/ND, ND/Wisconsin, are a few games that would go away. I don’t know what happens to ND in this scenario.

Should've put their football team in the ACC on a real basis like the rest of the sports.  They get what they get.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Should've put their football team in the ACC on a real basis like the rest of the sports.  They get what they get.

I honestly don’t know what happens. Do they just have all of the independents play one another? ND has in their contract that they’ll play 5 ACC schools in football. Maybe they hide behind that to keep the Clemson game etc? Who knows

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree with this. That scenario seems to be the most reasonable but not necessarily ideal.  Oregon/Ohio State, Texas/LSU, Clemson/ND, ND/Wisconsin, are a few games that would go away. I don’t know what happens to ND in this scenario.

I believe ND plays 6 ACC games. That allows them to maintain their established rivalry games with USC and Michigan, which I would consider in their conference in this scenario. Though they aren't playing Michigan? That feels weird... Wisconsin it is then. That makes their conference schedule Wake, Wisconsin, @Pitt, Duke, Clemson, @Georgia Tech, Louisville, @USC.

I'd take it. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Lots to be determined at this stage of the game.  Several of the professors I know, at various schools, have told me that there’s talk of a completely online Fall semester.  

my wife is assistant to the vp of a CC, same thing.  Her boss and staff are putting together a plan for an entirely online semester.  

doesn’t mean there won’t be football, but I just think Oregon is speaking too soon

The classes being online only would surprise me at this point- no football is a completely different matter. You can do class with social distancing, smaller caps on class size, less working groups and more individual stuff. You can't have a crowd socially distance, and if the football games will cost so much to put on and no income when schools will already be pinching pennies I expect Football to be cancelled beneath the NFL.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They announced it 

Had a conversation today about high school football. Lots of contingency plans being discussed/made if the season can't start on time or if it is interrupted.

I'm sure the NCAA and various conferences are having the same kinda of discussions. They want to play. We all want to play. What happens if we can't?

If you were coming back for your senior or redshirt junior year and there is substantial concern that there won't be a season there are some real motivations to come out. If a school is closed the kids can't train correctly and they don't have access to facilities. Without campus dining many of them won't be able to eat correctly/maintain weight. For linemen that's a big issue. If they come out they get their contract and then aren't staking everything on a season that might not happen.

Think of it this way, if you were a baseball player who was drafted last year as a junior, knowing what you know now would you have come out then or gone back for your senior year? There will be many kids who chose to go back, never had a senior year, and will see their stock drop in this year's draft. Sure, the NCAA gave spring athletes an extra year of eligibility. That's good for kids who aren't going pro. If you are going pro it just makes you a year older.

If Trevor Lawrence decided to come out in the supplemental draft there would surely be a feeding frenzy to acquire him and he would be paid now what he would be paid next year as a first round choice.

Wow, this thread derailed quickly.  Thank goodness Kirby brought it back to the topic.

Based on what he has heard (potential February start) I can see many seniors and juniors who would bail on their final college season.  The big question though is whether the NFL would want to risk pissing off their feeder league.  If the NFL were to open things up to another draft I think many would thing long and hard about whether it was worth it to wait another year.  Worst case (February) would they be interested in jeopardizing their draft stock with a spring injury?  Would they be willing to forgo their private training?

Lots of questions out there.

16 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wow, this thread derailed quickly.  Thank goodness Kirby brought it back to the topic.

Based on what he has heard (potential February start) I can see many seniors and juniors who would bail on their final college season.  The big question though is whether the NFL would want to risk pissing off their feeder league.  If the NFL were to open things up to another draft I think many would thing long and hard about whether it was worth it to wait another year.  Worst case (February) would they be interested in jeopardizing their draft stock with a spring injury?  Would they be willing to forgo their private training?

Lots of questions out there.

NFL has the option to delay start its season.  That does not work for college. It is highly possible by July it may appear that there will be an NFL season, but not a college season. Why would colleges be pissed in that instance if the NFL offered jobs to their incoming seniors? 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I saw is that they said they "intend" to be open in the Fall. 

"Intend" is different than "Will". 

Their public health department may have something to say about that.

I hope their intentions prove actual, because it would be a great sign for the progress of the covid-19 epidemic.

...restaurants appear to be reopening in some states at a percentage less than their capacity (25-50%)......what is your perspective of outdoor venues doing something similar as well as requiring mask protection?.....sure there is an inherent risk, but without relaxing social distancing paraemters as well as requiring masks, does the "outdoor venue" somewhat mitigate the risk?..

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I honestly don’t know what happens. Do they just have all of the independents play one another? ND has in their contract that they’ll play 5 ACC schools in football. Maybe they hide behind that to keep the Clemson game etc? Who knows

I think they're stuck if the NCAA decides on conference schedules only.

36 minutes ago, Chaos said:

NFL has the option to delay start its season.  That does not work for college. It is highly possible by July it may appear that there will be an NFL season, but not a college season. Why would colleges be pissed in that instance if the NFL offered jobs to their incoming seniors? 

I am assuming that @Kirby Jackson is plugged in and not blowing smoke. 

Why would colleges care if the NFL held another draft for incoming juniors and seniors?  Is that a serious question?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I am assuming that @Kirby Jackson is plugged in and not blowing smoke. 

Why would colleges care if the NFL held another draft for incoming juniors and seniors?  Is that a serious question?

If there is no college season (the basis of my question), the Seniors are done, why would the college care if the took a job in the NFL? 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree.  I think their president is speaking "aspirationally".  As I've been told "we're planning for all contingencies, including 100% online semester, and hoping we can throw those plans in the trash come Fall".  Even if the semester is open for live classes, I think it's an unaddressed question whether there will be college sports as normal.  If campuses do open normally, they may do so under some form of restrictions - large lectures online-only, travel restrictions for students etc.

There are a lot of things to be determined in the next few months.   Any number of things could be good news gamechangers, so let's hope.

And even of Oregon completely open what about its opponents in areas not opened up?

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oregon is opening their campus for fall so I’m assuming the 9/12 game vs Ohio state is on ... I don’t think the season is in jeopardy and I don’t think kids who didn’t declare this year will be worth a 1st round pick by a team because although some scouting has taken place, the level of evaluation it takes to use that type of pick definitely has not. 

As far as the player. He is a good TE prospect but i don’t like taking TE in the 1st. We covered him pretty easily with a LB last year. That said he has nice nfl traits. Just no 1st rd 

P,Shing sports is up in the air even if colleges reopen.

i don’t see crowds being allowed in stadiums unless they limit capacity to something like 50%

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They announced it 

I work at a college, everyone is planning and saying things will be normal in the fall, but we all know that right now it is a total unknown. Based on what we've heard from the NCAA and conference officials, I would say there is a 50/50 chance that there will be no fall sports, and even higher odds the fall seasons will be modified, or adjusted and/or delayed, in some way.

Stay tuned.

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They announced it 

I live in Oregon and nothing is official, they intend to open in fall but as of now nothing is certain. We are under pretty strict social distancing and Oregon and Washington are doing pretty well "Flattening the curve" so it's definitely possible but nothing is official.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Because, I am, as I said, assuming that @Kirby Jackson is plugged in.  His 3 options do not list canceling the season.  Why you keep going there is mysterious.

I think that those three options are definitely on the table for the season. 

If it does go to option 3 (a season starting in February) I’d imagine that a bunch of the top prospects skip the season or at least a significant portion of it. It will feel like the combine at some level where the top guys elect not to participate. That’s the answer to why the colleges would care. If the NCAA ended up with Ohio State - Clemson again (the 2 favorites in Vegas) and had no Lawrence, Ross, Etienne, Fields, Wade, Olave, etc...it takes the sting out. Basically as we get closer to the big games at the back half of the schedule you could end up seeing them without the best players. It is a weird dynamic. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that those three options are definitely on the table for the season. 

If it does go to option 3 (a season starting in February) I’d imagine that a bunch of the top prospects skip the season or at least a significant portion of it. It will feel like the combine at some level where the top guys elect not to participate. That’s the answer to why the colleges would care. If the NCAA ended up with Ohio State - Clemson again (the 2 favorites in Vegas) and had no Lawrence, Ross, Ettiene, Fields, Wade, Olace, etc...it takes the sting out. Basically as we get closer to the big games at the back half of the schedule you could end up seeing them without the best players. It is a weird dynamic. 

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...