“Mini-draft” in July?

whorlnut

With all the COVID related sports cancellations, and the possible delay/cancellation of the 2020 college football season...I got to thinking about the supplemental draft and it’s potential impact on the 2020 NFL season. 

The supplemental draft happens every July for prospects that have been removed from high school for three years, just like the normal process. The difference is, these prospects either didn’t file their paperwork in time for the previous draft or became academically ineligible for whatever reason. I think that this year there will be special circumstances for players that decided to forgo the draft to return to school for another year. If there is no season due to COVID the NCAA and NFL might allow it. 

If that is the case, then there will be some huge names this July. It could be like another draft with the amount of players that could throw their names into the ring.

One name that really stands out for me could be Pat Freiermuth from Penn State. If he came out this year, he would have likely been the top TE in the draft. I really thought Beane would have taken a TE at some point, but the value wasn’t there when he picked. A guy like Freiermuth would be worth a first round bid IMO. He is a complete TE. Imagine him and Knox for the next 3 years or more...

Here is a link I found supporting this idea...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsnaut.com/2020/04/report-nfl-could-see-influx-of-cfb-players-applying-for-supplemental-draft/amp/

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oregon is opening their campus for fall so I’m assuming the 9/12 game vs Ohio state is on ... I don’t think the season is in jeopardy and I don’t think kids who didn’t declare this year will be worth a 1st round pick by a team because although some scouting has taken place, the level of evaluation it takes to use that type of pick definitely has not. 

As far as the player. He is a good TE prospect but i don’t like taking TE in the 1st. We covered him pretty easily with a LB last year. That said he has nice nfl traits. Just no 1st rd 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oregon is opening their campus for fall so I’m assuming the 9/12 game vs Ohio state is on ... I don’t think the season is in jeopardy and I don’t think kids who didn’t declare this year will be worth a 1st round pick by a team because although some scouting has taken place, the level of evaluation it takes to use that type of pick definitely has not. 

As far as the player. He is a good TE prospect but i don’t like taking TE in the 1st. We covered him pretty easily with a LB last year. That said he has nice nfl traits. Just no 1st rd 

Er, you know this...how?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They announced it 

Wow. I think it’s wishful thinking to be honest. I also believe that things are viewed a little more differently in certain areas of the country that haven’t been hit as hard to this point. I seriously doubt early games will happen on schedule, let alone later on. We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They announced it 

What I saw is that they said they "intend" to be open in the Fall. 

"Intend" is different than "Will". 

Their public health department may have something to say about that.

I hope their intentions prove actual, because it would be a great sign for the progress of the covid-19 epidemic.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Wow. I think it’s wishful thinking to be honest. I also believe that things are viewed a little more differently in certain areas of the country that haven’t been hit as hard to this point. I seriously doubt early games will happen on schedule, let alone later on. We shall see. 

Washington and Oregon haven't been hit as hard as some other parts of the countries because Washington had a group of researchers who had brewed their own test and were testing people with an unsanctioned test (honest, FDA, just for research, we're allowed!) and sequencing viral genomes.  They had partial sight while the rest of the country was blind.

Their scientists went to the governor and said "we have proof there's community spread, we must take public health measures".  They declared a state of emergency February 29th and started closures.  Otherwise, they were positioned to be hit harder.  As the governor said "we're guided by science and it's served us well".

And that whole group of NW/West coast states have agreed to act together.

I think the U of Oregon was expressing a hope more than a fact.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lots to be determined at this stage of the game.  Several of the professors I know, at various schools, have told me that there’s talk of a completely online Fall semester.  

my wife is assistant to the vp of a CC, same thing.  Her boss and staff are putting together a plan for an entirely online semester.  

doesn’t mean there won’t be football, but I just think Oregon is speaking too soon

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lots to be determined at this stage of the game.  Several of the professors I know, at various schools, have told me that there’s talk of a completely online Fall semester.  

my wife is assistant to the vp of a CC, same thing.  Her boss and staff are putting together a plan for an entirely online semester.  

doesn’t mean there won’t be football, but I just think Oregon is speaking too soon

I agree.  I think their president is speaking "aspirationally".  As I've been told "we're planning for all contingencies, including 100% online semester, and hoping we can throw those plans in the trash come Fall".  Even if the semester is open for live classes, I think it's an unaddressed question whether there will be college sports as normal.  If campuses do open normally, they may do so under some form of restrictions - large lectures online-only, travel restrictions for students etc.

There are a lot of things to be determined in the next few months.   Any number of things could be good news gamechangers, so let's hope.

• Like (+1) 1

So, one of my best friends used to work in the athletic department at Auburn. He ran into the AD at some conference recently and they talked. He told him that there are 3 scenarios currently on the table for college football depending on how things evolve. They will either:

A) Start the season on time

B) Delay the season 5 weeks and cancel all non-conference games

C) Start the season in February

Also, apparently everyone wants to let this play out but the SEC wants to push forward regardless. We will see how it all plays out...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So, one of my best friends used to work in the athletic department at Auburn. He ran into the AD at some conference recently and they talked. He told him that there are 3 scenarios currently on the table for college football depending on how things evolve. They will either:

Also, apparently everyone wants to let this play out but the SEC wants to push forward regardless. We will see how it all plays out...

Very interesting. I think the most realistic option there is to play conference games and cancel non-conference. It’s the most reasonable way of abbreviating the season without affecting the conference hierarchy. 

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Very interesting. I think the most realistic option there is to play conference games and cancel non-conference. It’s the most reasonable way of abbreviating the season without affecting the conference hierarchy. 

I tend to agree with this. That scenario seems to be the most reasonable but not necessarily ideal.  Oregon/Ohio State, Texas/LSU, Clemson/ND, ND/Wisconsin, are a few games that would go away. I don’t know what happens to ND in this scenario.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That could work out for the SEC and the schools in the South, but could be a tough one for the Big 10 and the ACC schools such as Pitt and BC should the season start in the Winter. It will be a challenge to put together a national playoff process under this scenario, but I give them credit to pushing ahead as a first step. A lot can happen between now and this Fall.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That would be fun from a novelty perspective, but would have severe impact on 2021 draft and ability for rookies to play in the 2021 NFL season.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

That would be fun from a novelty perspective, but would have severe impact on 2021 draft and ability for rookies to play in the 2021 NFL season.

It’s not ideal but could work. You’d be looking at an abbreviated offseason and likely a summer draft. Guys would report to camp shortly after the draft. In the NBA guys report to summer league a week after the draft so it isn’t that crazy I guess. It will be terrible for guys that get hurt. I suspect you’d see more and more players going the McCafrey/Fournette/Bosa route and sitting out to prepare for the draft. It’s certainly option 3 on the list but it’s better than no season I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

this is what I've read re: Syracuse's season also.  It was phrased in a question re: whether basketball and lax would be impacted.  The answer was that even with the Dome as the home for all those sports, the football season could continue to coexist with basketball (as it does in the fall) and lax might go outside--as it planned to this year.  

I think college football happens somehow.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1