Rodgers in GB ( old article)

stuvian

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

When you have one of the greatest QBs to play the game on your roster you should be doing everything possible to win a Super Bowl while he's still in his prime. Not planning for his retirement. It's far more likely they win a Super Bowl with Rodgers in the next 3 years than they are to ever win a Super Bowl with Love on the team. They wasted a 1st round pick on a player that doesn't help them in their Super Bowl window. Plus the rest of their draft was god awful.

They were in the NFCC game last year and got blown out because their D gave up 37 points to Jimmy G.

Was Tee Higgins really going to get them a SB ring this year?  What draft pick was going to make their odds of even returning to the NFCC game this better than last year?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were in the NFCC game last year and got blown out because their D gave up 37 points to Jimmy G.

I'm not saying they had to reach for a WR but the last thing they needed was a QB. They're in their window now. AJ Dillon in the 2nd round was just as bad. Really a bizarre draft class for a team with Aaron Rodgers.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is this pick so difficult for so man to understand.  He's not done, but he's pretty close.  Why not draft his replacement now? Isn't that the smarter way to do it?

The only way it makes sense is if they thought Love was a once in a generation prospect.  Rodgers has four years left on his contract and they'd have to wait until after the 2022 season if they don't want to swallow a ton of dead money.  They were one win from the Superbowl and they could've used that pick to address their offensive line or provide Rodgers with a #2 WR opposite Devante Adams in a WR rich draft.  On top of that they gave up a 4th round pick to move up fro Love and drafted a RB.  This is the kind of draft that would make more sense next year at the earliest.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?

2 years after Rodgers was drafted Favre was a Pro Bowl QB again.  And again the following year (Jets) and the year after that (with Vikings).  In fact, in his 19th year, he was better than Rodgers was last year.

Rodgers is already slowing down.  He went from 45, 39, 38, 31, 40 TD seasons to 25 and 26.

Brett Farve

2004: 30 TDs 17 ints 92.4 Qb rating

2005: 20 TDs  29 ints (career high)  70.9 qb rating   

If that's not falling off a cliff, I don't know what is. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Could have been a contender?? They won 13 games and again won the division.  They went to the conference championship.  They weren't a rookie WR short of the SB....

Yes, the Packers had a good season last year, over-acheived IMO.  And while you may not think a rookie WR would get them over the hump, no one thinks a backup QB will.  I, along with most people (and probably Vegas), think the Pack will have a worse season next year.  And if I were a fan I would not like it.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'm not saying they had to reach for a WR but the last thing they needed was a QB. They're in their window now. AJ Dillon in the 2nd round was just as bad. Really a bizarre draft class for a team with Aaron Rodgers.

If not WR, then what?  Who would have put them over the top?  This team has had 10 years to get Rodgers back to the SB---and he was a lot better 4-6 years ago.

This may be the best opportunity to draft a QB they have until Rodgers walks away.  He's on his last legs.  why not have a guy they "love" all ready to go?  This is how Rodgers got on the Packers. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Getting a WR in FA would have been a better route.  A draft pick can/will take time to develop, time Rodgers doesn't have.  But all they signed was Devin Funchess and 36 year old Marcedes Lewis.

GB has invested heavily in WRs in prior years

my guess is GB thinks those WRs are good enough, since they did win 13 games last year.

The problem is Rodgers won't throw them the ball anyway - his reads stop at Davante Adams

The new GB coaching staff is going to take back this team

Rodgers has been put on notice to get with the program and run the offense as designed

They are not going to tie their careers to an aging prima donna and his free lancing ways

If he plays within the system, he will play for 2 more years.

If he does his own thing, you will see Love much earlier than expected.

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yes, the Packers had a good season last year, over-acheived IMO.  And while you may not think a rookie WR would get them over the hump, no one thinks a backup QB will.  I, along with most people (and probably Vegas), think the Pack will have a worse season next year.  And if I were a fan I would not like it.

Exactly--they overachieved.  This year's draft pick would not have made them a lock to get even as far as they got last year. When Rodgers walks away in a year or 2, or suffers another significant injury, Packers fans won't be crying as hard. 

7 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Brett Farve

If that's not falling off a cliff, I don't know what is. 

Yet he followed that up with 3 straight ProBowl trips (GB, NYJ, and Minn), his 3 highest years of completion percentage of his career, over 4100 yards his last year in GB and a 13-3 record with a 95.7 qb rating.

I would love for our QB to fall off that cliff.

9 minutes ago, spartacus said:

GB has invested heavily in WRs in prior years

my guess is GB thinks those WRs are good enough, since they did win 13 games last year.

The problem is Rodgers won't throw them the ball anyway - his reads stop at Davante Adams

The new GB coaching staff is going to take back this team

Rodgers has been put on notice to get with the program and run the offense as designed

They are not going to tie their careers to an aging prima donna and his free lancing ways

If he plays within the system, he will play for 2 more years.

If he does his own thing, you will see Love much earlier than expected.

I agree with this.  It is the most obvious actual scenario as far as the Packers are concerned.

13 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Brett Farve

If that's not falling off a cliff, I don't know what is

2007 rating 95.7/4155 yards/28 TD/15 int

2009: 107.2 rating/4202/33/7

It's confirmed: you don't know what "falling off a cliff" is.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly--they overachieved.  This year's draft pick would not have made them a lock to get even as far as they got last year. When Rodgers walks away in a year or 2, or suffers another significant injury, Packers fans won't be crying as hard. 

No, they weren't going to be a lock, but what they could have had was hope.  They don't have that now, a backup QB as your top pick is painful.

And the idea that Love is going to stop Packer fans from crying in the future seems pretty far-fetched to me.

4 hours ago, eball said:

It is far from an "absolute" scenario.  This is a "win now" league...and the situation under which Rodgers was still available in 2005 when the Packers drafted is much different than what transpired last week.  The Packers have holes -- particularly in the "playmaker" category -- and ignored them to draft a project QB.

It seems LaFleur is proving to be yet another power freak who will do it "his way" even though he has a HOF QB on his roster and a window to compete for Super Bowls.

When you plan for 3-4 years ahead in this league at the expense of doing what you can to win now -- particularly with a guy like Rodgers behind center -- it's not a particularly smart move.

Now, if LaFleur and the GM have analyzed their roster and don't think they could do enough with Rodgers to truly compete in 2020?  That's something completely different.

If Love turns out to be really good in 3-4 years people will look back and say how great it was for GB to take a chance on him...but if they've pissed away a shot at a SB title this year or next because of it I don't think you can say it was necessarily the right decision.

The league is no more win now than it was in 2005 when they made the Rodgers choice.  That choice lead to a Super Bowl win.

Yes they have holes, but what player at that point (late 1st round) pushes them to the Super Bowl?  They made a choice that they think they are competitive with Rodgers and a QB they liked fell to them much like Rodgers did in 2005.  

They had a choice in 2005 - load up for 1 more run or begin thinking about the future while maintaining a winning team.  They chose to look to the future and that gave them another Super Bowl win and 15 more years of sustained success.  

GB just chose to repeat that scenario and if I works they might have another decade and a half of success and that is worth way more than the 7th or 8th best WR was going to give them.

Interestingly - this is also the choice KC made with a successful QB that had lead them deep in the playoffs and then they decided to draft Mahomes.  Many thought they would be better getting some other piece to help propel them during their window and they chose to see if they could get better at a key position to drive them forward for another 2 decades.

Now - I think a bunch of the rest of the draft stunk - so who knows if Love is any good- they seemed to reach for a lot of other picks and that pick might be no different, but I get why they took the shot.  The shot with Rodgers worked out well for GB and they would like to repeat that success and longevity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No, they weren't going to be a lock, but what they could have had was hope.  They don't have that now, a backup QB as your top pick is painful.

And the idea that Love is going to stop Packer fans from crying in the future seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Pretty far fetched, you say?

The 2005 Packers were coming off of a 10-6 season and won the division the season and got bounced in the Wild Card game.  What do the Packers do the next draft to "put them over the top"?

They draft Favre's down the road replacement in the 1st round.  They didn't seem to mind how that turned out.

The head scratching over this pick would be a tiny less goofy …...if this very team had not done the same thing in the past.

These takes are nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Pretty far fetched, you say?

The 2005 Packers were coming off of a 10-6 season and won the division the season and got bounced in the Wild Card game.  What do the Packers do the next draft to "put them over the top"?

They draft Favre's down the road replacement in the 1st round.  They didn't seem to mind how that turned out.

The head scratching over this pick would be a tiny less goofy …...if this very team had not done the same thing in the past.

These takes are nuts.

I would love to know what late first round player prevents GB from getting their teeth kicked in and embarrassed by the 49ers. What mythical rookie player is stopping the 49ers from rushing for 300 yards?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The pack may have a worse year, but how do the fans in KC feel after they drafted a QB when they were still in the “window”.

KC had won more than 10 games 4 out of 5 years with Smith, he was consistently getting better - including have his best season ever the year they drafted Mahomes.  They made a choice of a QB - when many thought another stud defender could push them to the top.  That decision worked out and many fans were not happy at first, but winning fixes everything.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I would love to know what late first round player prevents GB from getting their teeth kicked in and embarrassed by the 49ers. What mythical rookie player is stopping the 49ers from rushing for 300 yards?

Pretty sure that is what he was saying.  

What player pushes them over the edge - none - so why is everyone fired up that a potential replacement 3-4 years down the road is so bad.  

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The pack may have a worse year, but how do the fans in KC feel after they drafted a QB when they were still in the “window”.

KC had won more than 10 games 4 out of 5 years with Smith, he was consistently getting better - including have his best season ever the year they drafted Mahomes.  They made a choice of a QB - when many thought another stud defender could push them to the top.  That decision worked out and many fans were not happy at first, but winning fixes everything.

Are you seriously trying to compare Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers?  Come on man.  Then you follow that up trying to compare Love to Mahomes?  My god.

For KC to get over the hump they needed to improve at QB and they did.  Green Bay needs some WRs, and what did they do?

42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The only way it makes sense is if they thought Love was a once in a generation prospect.  Rodgers has four years left on his contract and they'd have to wait until after the 2022 season if they don't want to swallow a ton of dead money.  They were one win from the Superbowl and they could've used that pick to address their offensive line or provide Rodgers with a #2 WR opposite Devante Adams in a WR rich draft.  On top of that they gave up a 4th round pick to move up fro Love and drafted a RB.  This is the kind of draft that would make more sense next year at the earliest.

I understand, but why is it different than with Favre?  He had 4 years left on his contract when they drafted Rodgers.  They let Favre play 3 more years and then moved him to the NYJs using their control on the contract.  That gave Rodgers years to get ready and allowed them to have some control over where Favre ended up.

I can see this playing out the same - Rodgers really can’t be moved for at minimum 2 years and probably 3 - so you have time to see if Love can be the guy - if not you take another shot.  If he seems to progress - then you have the ability to move Rodgers to an AFC team after 3 years and recoup something.  If he does not progress you have the 2022 draft to try again.