How do you judge a team's offensive line?

BritBill

For me, if an offense is maintaining the performance edge throughout a game or games, it’s says that the O line is performing well in said game or games,  in which the offense has the needed time to execute the overall scheme. Various stats can be looked at that convey the same overall picture. I try not to go full on football nerd with stats in which they don’t show context. 

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Grading out OL is tough to do as a fan.  It requires grading out every player on every play.  It’s worth using sites that do that for you and then seeing if that matches what your eyes tell you on whatever limited snaps you do see.  Often it is easy to see when a player is terrible, but sometimes there are other factors.  For example, QBs have a huge impact on sacks and pressures.  Passing scheme too.  Gotta hold pass blocks a lot longer for a vertical game versus a WCO.   Stuff like that has to be considered. 

Oline play is much easier to determine when it is bad then delineate between the best and near best. I also think 5 average blockers is better than 3 studs and 2 barely professional players on the line. Lastly good blocking tight ends make tackles job much easier, so the eye test is key to me.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Oline play is much easier to determine when it is bad then delineate between the best and near best. I also think 5 average blockers is better than 3 studs and 2 barely professional players on the line. Lastly good blocking tight ends make tackles job much easier, so the eye test is key to me.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of that.

There are advanced metrics but I think as a fan you have to judge it based off the eye test. How much pressure does the O-line give up? How big are the running lanes? Things like that you can watch over the course of games and really give yourself a good definition of just how well an offensive line plays. Last season I thought the O-line was a mid-level NFL O-line. Ford was the weak link until Ty went down and Ford played well. 

The Bills O-line last year played stronger as the year went on for the most part. All 5 starters not having played with each other before 2019 I think was a factor in the line not playing that well at times. Hopefully with a year having played with each other and some growth from Ford the O-line can become a top 10 unit.

The Center.  Only other position to touch the football as much as the QB.  Most underrated position in all of sports.  

You can't have a good oline without a good center.  The ability to be cerebral, solid in run and pass pro is vital for the position and when you have that guy or he's there in the draft you take him.....if this position is not above average to great you dont have a great oline. 

No one knows this better than the Saints and they picked one at 26.  The impact Unger had on them was immense.  They still had good talent after he retired but I don't think they were the same.  

Morse had that kind impact for us as well.  

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The Center.  Only other position to touch the football as much as the QB.  Most underrated position in all of sports.  

You can't have a good oline without a good center.  The ability to be cerebral, solid in run and pass pro is vital for the position and when you have that guy or he's there in the draft you take him.....if this position is not above average to great you dont have a great oline. 

No one knows this better than the Saints and they picked one at 26.  The impact Unger had on them was immense.  They still had good talent after he retired but I don't think they were the same.  

Morse had that kind impact for us as well.  

And the moment Seattle traded Unger to the Saints was the moment their dynasty chances ended. Genuinely the worst trade in my time watching the NFL. 

I have always been a "give me a left tackle first" guy and I still am, but the Bills 2018 season really gave me a new appreciation for the center position. Because when you don't have one it gets ugly, and fast. 

• Like (+1) 1

The hard part with evaluating an O Line as many good opinions, like sacks, pressures, success in the run, but it’s hard to assess is it 5e O Line, or does Josh hold onto the ball too long?  you almost have consider the release time for Allen when assessing a line.

its hard to assess if the Pats had a decent line when Brady was getting rid of the ball in just over 2 seconds.