How do you judge a team's offensive line?

BritBill

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about on what stat(s) do you judge how good a defense is.

Well, this time I'm asking how do you judge how good/bad an offensive line is? 

Do you go by sacks allowed? 1st downs achieved by rushing? Time the QB has in the pocket?

Open my eyes to your minds people. ?

I've always put the majority of sacks and pressure on the QB. Obviously there are times there is a truly bad OL group blocking for a QB but typically IMO it's on the QB to put the OL in the best position to protect both presnap and post snap. Offensive coordinator also has a role in putting OLs in the best position possible to protect the QB.

That said I tend to look at run blocking when analyzing offensive lines. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Feel like you have to use your own judgement to determine. Don’t always know what the call was or what their job was. I feel the bills line is above average and has room/ needs to improve. Another year to gel together will help. Ford was inconsistent but should improve in year two, hopefully.

i recall the end of the patriots, ravens, and Texans games. In all three we had a chance to tie or win at the end and the oline had complete meltdowns allowing multiple people in pretty much untouched on multiple plays killing any chance for Allen to do anything 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/

They have probably the best stuff on this, stats-wise. Click on "Statistics" and then "Offensive Lines". Their pass stats have the same problems they all have ... some QBs keep plays alive longer, hold the ball longer, others get it out quickly, and there's no statistical way to take that out of it.

But their run stats are useful. Particularly comparing "Adjusted Line Yards" and "RB Yards." If RB yards are significantly higher than ALY, then you've got a good RB making his line look better than they are. If ALY is higher, your line is doing better than what is showing up in the standard stats. Second level yards is also helpful.

In the end, though, lines have to be judged in context.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/

They have probably the best stuff on this, stats-wise. Click on "Statistics" and then "Offensive Lines". Their pass stats have the same problems they all have ... some QBs keep plays alive longer, hold the ball longer, others get it out quickly, and there's no statistical way to take that out of it.

But their run stats are useful. Particularly comparing "Adjusted Line Yards" and "RB Yards." If RB yards are significantly higher than ALY, then you've got a good RB making his line look better than they are. If ALY is higher, your line is doing better than what is showing up in the standard stats. Second level yards is also helpful.

In the end, though, lines have to be judged in context.

Agreed. Run blocking is easier to make a statistical analysis of. Pass blocking, more often than not, comes down to the eye test. Because pass blocking for Tom Brady and pass blocking for Russell Wilson are two totally different beasts. A like for like numbers comparison on sacks and pressures will be a pretty blunt instrument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I personally think it’s a teams run game thats

the best indicator. All these advanced metrics on pass blocking efficiency/pressure rate are overstated. You can reduce pressure rate by throwing short/quick hitting passes. Also Texans and Seahawks always rate low in large part because Watson and Wilson are crazy athletes and can hold the ball longer than other QBs. 

Run blocking is typically easier than pass blocking. If a team can’t run block. If the line can’t run block it likely can’t do much of anything. 

After watching ESPN, before every Bills draft selection, flash that Josh Allen was the third most pressured QB last year, I'm thinking we need to make some improvements to the Oline. Hopefully, a year under their belts together and new competition  helps to not have to see this flash in next years draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

YPC and QB pressures.  Plus, I get input from my neighbor Terry.

Those don't necessarily tell the whole story.  If you have a terrible RB YCP may be down.  If you have a QB that holds onto the ball you can have a lot of pressures.  Its a good question and ultimately you have to dig deep and collect a lot of data to see if guys are getting beat off the ball vs 3 seconds later.  There are sites out there that grade OL but I think you may need to pay.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about on what stat(s) do you judge how good a defense is.

Well, this time I'm asking how do you judge how good/bad an offensive line is? 

Do you go by sacks allowed? 1st downs achieved by rushing? Time the QB has in the pocket?

Open my eyes to your minds people. ?

Grading out OL is tough to do as a fan.  It requires grading out every player on every play.  It’s worth using sites that do that for you and then seeing if that matches what your eyes tell you on whatever limited snaps you do see.  Often it is easy to see when a player is terrible, but sometimes there are other factors.  For example, QBs have a huge impact on sacks and pressures.  Passing scheme too.  Gotta hold pass blocks a lot longer for a vertical game versus a WCO.   Stuff like that has to be considered. 

• Like (+1) 2

To me, it's all about the eye test.  Does the OL create holes on running plays?  Do they give their QB a clean pocket?  Are they able to push defenders back on short yardage plays?

While there are some stats that capture elements of these things, stats can be skewed by a number of factors independent of the ability of the OL (QB play, RB talent, play-calling).  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

To me, it's all about the eye test.  Does the OL create holes on running plays?  Do they give their QB a clean pocket?  Are they able to push defenders back on short yardage plays?

While there are some stats that capture elements of these things, stats can be skewed by a number of factors independent of the ability of the OL (QB play, RB talent, play-calling).  

Yep, you can tell what kind of afternoon it's going to be after the first couple of offensive series. Are they able to push, or are they getting pushed back. Basically, are they winning the line of scrimmage or not.

Well I think you can judge alot in terms of the run game and their ability to win at the line of scrimmage. Last years Oline left alot to be desired in that area for me.

Pass blocking is much harder to judge as others have said, but they did seem to have problems dealing with heavy blitz packages from my perspective. 

Overall...I saw the line as middling, and I wanted them to get better. There's some hope with continuity and possible improvement from Cody Ford, so that is the bright side.

The not so bright side is that if they can't show good improvement and Allen and Diggs don't develop a productive relationship, then we may have an unhappy receiver who will voice it in the media.

This is my biggest concern this upcoming season.  I really want to know the line is a non issue in such a big season for Josh Allen.

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

After watching ESPN, before every Bills draft selection, flash that Josh Allen was the third most pressured QB last year, I'm thinking we need to make some improvements to the Oline. Hopefully, a year under their belts together and new competition  helps to not have to see this flash in next years draft.

A lot of that is on Josh. Where is he ranked for time holding the ball? 

• Like (+1) 2

It's very nuanced, that's for sure.  There's judgment of individual play, and how do they perform as a unit.  It's about knowing your assignments, and your teammates'

and being able to make adjustments pre-snap and on the fly post-snap, reacting to stunts and crosses.  You need to watch the individual on each and every play to know if he's looking lost, or being dominated by opponents.  Does he commit allot of penalties.  Holding is a sign of laziness, desperation and bad technique, false starts are all mental, focus and concentration.  Some fans have unrealistic expectations regarding offensive lines.  With the level of athleticism on D-lines these days, nobody can block anyone forever.  3 seconds in pass pro is a long time.  Keep your opponent off your QB for 3 seconds and your good.  Run game is more obvious.  Do you open holes, or are you stoned?  Like so many others have said, as fans you know it when you see it, stats cant really tell the story.