No football til mid October??? -Carucci

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Been saying that the season will be delayed. There is no reason to start on time. Move everything back. NFL has this luxury because March, April, and May are typically slow for sports. They can move the playoffs and super bowl back. 

NFL has to account for the possibility that flu season will be bad and could interrupt the season. I've actually said they should postpone until December or January just to make sure COVID-19 is under control. Nothing wrong with a shortened season into the spring time. 

So, March Madness, NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, The Masters, the Indy 500, the Kentucky Derby is a slow time for sports?  Yeah, OK then.

On top of that, NFL players need extended recovery time in the off-season.  Way more than any other sport.  So you are going to have a Super Bowl in late spring early summer, and then start up another season in September.  Yeah, no, I don't see that as a good thing.

Edited by Mark80

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

If states are reopened and everyone is back to work, and has been for several months, delaying the NFL will not go over well.

Certainly you can see the difference between people going back to work with social distancing guidelines/measures in place vs. packing 16 stadiums full of ~60,000 strangers practically sitting on top of each other for 4 hours every weekend.

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well at least we would be playing home games in January!!!!! 

I kid, I kid. 

Interested in my fellow TSWers view though. My preference would be to start a few weeks later if necessary and still play a full season. Is that the consensus? Or would others prefer a truncated season on the normal timetable (ie. still playoffs in Jan and Superbowl first Sunday of Feb?)

I've always been in favor of the NFL starting and ending a month or so later. I'm not done with football by early February, I even watched a fair amount of XFL and AAF, so for me it would be an unexpected benefit of the pandemic to delay the start of the season.  Full season, Super Bowl on the Sunday of Presidents week. I also think having fans in the stands matters even though I watch from home. 

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Do you also question the reactions of every other country in the free world? 

I question our reaction moving forward and the reactions of certain people who shame anyone for wanting to responsibly get back to the “new normal”.  

There is no vaccine and snarky people like you seem to get upset anytime that tiny detail is discussed. 

I don’t question one bit what we’ve done up to this point to make sure hospitals weren’t overwhelmed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well at least we would be playing home games in January!!!!! 

I kid, I kid. 

Interested in my fellow TSWers view though. My preference would be to start a few weeks later if necessary and still play a full season. Is that the consensus? Or would others prefer a truncated season on the normal timetable (ie. still playoffs in Jan and Superbowl first Sunday of Feb?)

What would stop the NFL from playing a full season, regardless of when Week 1 falls?

I would MUCH rather see a full season played out and a Super Bowl in April, than a truncated season just to insure the Super Bowl lands on its previously scheduled date.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

This may just be the spark for the Downtown Dome crowd. Pegs spent million$ on a study that’s likely gonna get flushed down the toilet after a full season of snow games..

juss sayin’

P.S. I’m on the Dome Team.

I am a dome guy too! Its why I sit in the clubs now. I spent many seasons in the lower bowl- it just isn’t fun to me anymore being in the elements when its 20 degrees or lower and snowing. It also isn’t fun 40 and raining. We have a stadium now that gets used 15 times a year tops if there is a few concerts.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What would stop the NFL from playing a full season, regardless of when Week 1 falls?

I would MUCH rather see a full season played out and a Super Bowl in April, than a truncated season just to insure the Super Bowl lands on its previously scheduled date.

I don't think that they are set on a specific day (1st Sunday)  there were talks of as late as Feb 28.  

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I care less about when except that it seems a bit silly to delay a late Summer start when that is most likely the BEST time to be playing with a looming fall rebound in the disease.

I guess my version would be get started, play as much as works, if it rebounds pause - not cancel - and resume again after the second wave.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Certainly you can see the difference between people going back to work with social distancing guidelines/measures in place vs. packing 16 stadiums full of ~60,000 strangers practically sitting on top of each other for 4 hours every weekend.

I think everyones assumption right now is that there won't be fans at the games, regardless of when it starts. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Rampage said:

That's the only way we get fans in stadiums I think, they're gonna have to put seats between people, rows, etc. Which is a much better alternative to no fans at all. The good thing is, the Mafia is so loud that 20,000 of our fans will still be as loud as 60,000 from some other stadiums in this league.

As much as I hate ANY “solution” that impacts the season in any way, I could probably get with the idea that I would have room to stretch out and breathe on those God awful metal bleacher seats ?

Sadly this was and is to be expected, Yup, it sure f ing sucks, but we all saw this coming in February and early March when the CDC warnings were being escalated from the initial reports in January,  now we get what we got. Just as our team is rising, f ing sucks...

Go Bills!!! 

If NYS is still shut down in July, I don't see why the Bills couldn't hold training camp in another state that's open.  It would just be a maxed out version of St. John Fisher--that is, moving the whole operation a few hundred (or even thousand) miles father away from OBD.   Anybody know if this would violate NFL rules?

Also, an October start would have to be a competitive disadvantage for the Bills, with the second half of the season over-weighted with road games.   Not sure that's going to fly with Northern teams with open air stadiums...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

The schedule release delay is no doubt related to Covid and I'm sure there are almost a half-dozen schedules being formulated, for example an October 4th start, an October 18th start and a November 1st start.  The October 4th version may include the full slate of games, while the October 18th start may include only 14 games.  A November 1st start could only mean 12 games, which I think is the cut-off for a legitimate season.

What you would also see, in a delayed schedule, is the Bills being home a lot early in the season.  

Edited by Ned Flanders

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If NYS is still shut down in July, I don't see why the Bills couldn't hold training camp in another state that's open.  It would just be a maxed out version of St. John Fisher--that is, moving the whole operation a few hundred (or even thousand) miles father away from OBD.   Anybody know if this would violate NFL rules?

Also, an October start would have to be a competitive disadvantage for the Bills, with the second half of the season over-weighted with road games.   Not sure that's going to fly with Northern teams with open air stadiums...

Yup, it’s not just us.  Moving the season later would make home games brutal for New England, Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland etc.. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Been saying that the season will be delayed. There is no reason to start on time. Move everything back. NFL has this luxury because March, April, and May are typically slow for sports. They can move the playoffs and super bowl back. 

NFL has to account for the possibility that flu season will be bad and could interrupt the season. I've actually said they should postpone until December or January just to make sure COVID-19 is under control. Nothing wrong with a shortened season into the spring time. 

March Madness, Champions League, NHL and NBA playoffs runs, MLB spring training, NFL draft, PGA....March is my favorite sports month

Edited by Pete

57 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Bad math dude.  it's a ratio of .0097 which equals .97%  NOT .0097%.  Roughly 1/100 which is pretty much what has been suspected all along.  Makes it 10 times as deadly as the flu with the massive downside that it's more contagious because the symptoms often don't show (and we don't have a vaccine).

As I said - bad math in Gordio's post.  If it were really .01% it would have killed only 33K Americans after it had infected everyone - and that's a number we are proven not to care about.   Comparable with the annual flu: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

But again - the offered math was off by a factor of ONE HUNDRED.

.01% is 1/100 of 1 percent which would mean that yes, we would have 33,000 deaths nationwide. If 2 million people in NYS have been infected then at a rate of 1% we would have 200,000 deaths in NYS alone. The base figures are wrong.