No football til mid October??? -Carucci

56 minutes ago, Cal said:

The only option i see is playing with no fans and isolating the players and staff together. Even as Covid-19 starts to drop, it is suppose to spike back up in the fall. If a fan gets sick at a game and dies. The NFL and team will be sued. It will not get back till normal until a vaccine. Which best case scenario we will have by late 2020, early 2021.

Well if that is the only option you see, it should make it a done deal.  People are tired of being isolated.  Now Cuomo is saying they believe at least 2 million New Yorkers have already been effected with this virus which would leave the death rate % in NY at .009%.  They also think similar numbers are in Cali, which would even make their death rate lower than NY.  Hopefully things will be opening up & that includes sporting events.  At least that is what I am hoping.  

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

aint gunna be money from the state, feds, NFL, or Pegs for a new stadium, dont care what that study says.

Unless we in a depression, and a new WPA is in place to combat the 20% unemployment..then i wont have money for tickets anyway LOL

My son & me were talking about this Saturday on the golf course, there is no way the Bills are getting a new stadium or anybody is getting a new stadium in the next 5-8 years.  Just not happening.  

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Well if that is the only option you see, it should make it a done deal.  People are tired of being isolated.  Now Cuomo is saying they believe at least 2 million New Yorkers have already been effected with this virus which would leave the death rate % in NY at .009%.  They also think similar numbers are in Cali, which would even make their death rate lower than NY.  Hopefully things will be opening up & that includes sporting events.  At least that is what I am hoping.  

Unless of course you are one of the .009%.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Only 1/16 of the fans will be able to get in the stadium. Social distancing will still be in effect. 

That's the only way we get fans in stadiums I think, they're gonna have to put seats between people, rows, etc. Which is a much better alternative to no fans at all. The good thing is, the Mafia is so loud that 20,000 of our fans will still be as loud as 60,000 from some other stadiums in this league.

The telling part of the OP is that Cuomo has a say and has already chimed in.  This will be a major cluster **** because there is no way all of the governors in States with NFL teams will agree to anything uniform.  Politics doesn't even really have to come into play, even though it will.  Try to get that many people, much less people who want to be in charge of everything, to agree to anything and it will never happen.  

How many NFL States?  NY, NJ, MA, Fla, CA, AZ, Tex, OH, MN, IL, WI, PA, MD, IN, TN, GA, LA, NC, WA, NV, MO, CO, plus DC and I think VA.  If you think they'll all agree to a uniform set of rules for everything you are likely mistaken.

• Like (+1) 2

Personally, I would like to see the season end the Scheduled Super Bowl date of Feb. 7, 2021.  That means the 2021 season is not impacted by a stretched out 2020 season.

If the season starts on Oct. 18, that provides for 17 Sunday from Oct. 18 to Feb 7.    I would propose the teams play a twelve game schedule, and then have all 32 teams in a playoff tournament. The 12 game schedule will determine the seeding.   Rounds of 31-16-8-4-2 would take five weeks and allow things to end on schedule.  Its a bit cheesy, but even if an 0-12 team were to go on a five game winning streak to win the Super Bowl, it would still be an impressive feat to win five playoff games in a row. 

I'm really starting to question the "long-game" with this whole COVID-19 thing.

Scientifically, there are only two ways to get something like this under control.

The option that everybody would LIKE to see is a vaccine, which would obviously cause the least amount of sickness and death.  Unfortunately, all medical experts say a vaccine isn't coming until 2021 at the very earliest.  And there is no guarantee a vaccine will EVER be developed for this particular coronavirus.  It's not something that people want to hear.  But sadly it's the truth.

So unless we are going to stop the world indefinitely (and possibly permanently), that leaves one option.  The same way mankind has dealt with viruses, diseases and epidemics for the entire time they have been on this planet.  And that is by Herd Immunity.  Meaning that lots of people get sick.  Some die.  The majority recover and develop antibodies to keep the sickness from spreading.  Life goes back to normal.

There isn't ONE legitimate scientist that believes we can quarantine or social distance this thing into going away.  The purpose of the lockdowns were always to SLOW the spread, so that we didn't overwhelm the hospitals and medical system.  By having people avoid getting the virus, we are simply delaying the inevitable.  Whether we open things back up in May, June, July, August, September or sometime in 2021, the virus will still be around and there will be a spike of new cases.  It won't be until a significant portion of the population gets this and recovers, that things will truly be under control.

Honestly, the smartest thing we can do is release the people who are young, healthy and face the lowest risk of death from COVID-19.  Let them go back to work and be exposed to this thing.  Keep the older population and those with pre-existing conditions in isolation, wearing masks and away from those who are out in the world.  There will be a second wave, and there will be some people who die.  But within 2-3 months, immunity will spread and this thing will be under control.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, I must be really dumb. I thought the worry was this thing comes BACK in the fall, after it dies down in the summer, and comes back to coincide with flu season. Does this plan not start up exactly when Fuaci said this thig is coming  back?

3 things here

1) You can be damn sure EVERONE is getting a flu shot this year..just as a civic duty. I never get a flu shot, will this year.

2) Would it not make sense to start the season early, have training camps while the Covid is on summer vacation, and pause the season if outbreaks start to happen in November and December?

3) I am still optimistic we will have herd immunity over the next 4 months..games will be held as normal, must vulnerable will be asked to stay at home, temps will be taken at gate ( for appearances only) and masks will worn. How we gunna drink beers is a question, but I am sure some genius will figure that out

Exactly.  Why time this thing to when the flu season picks up again?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is the 1st I’ve heard anything relatively official, but it isn’t a sport you can remove fans from. 

At least I never want to envision a game without fans..?

yeah, of course we can wait a couple more months, but I DON’T WANT TO!?

Fan-less football would definitely be weird, but if it means that the season starts closer to normal time, then I'm all for it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Been saying that the season will be delayed. There is no reason to start on time. Move everything back. NFL has this luxury because March, April, and May are typically slow for sports. They can move the playoffs and super bowl back. 

NFL has to account for the possibility that flu season will be bad and could interrupt the season. I've actually said they should postpone until December or January just to make sure COVID-19 is under control. Nothing wrong with a shortened season into the spring time. 

If you think march, april and may are slow sports months, what months do you consider not to be slow? March is NCAA basketball tournament.  April and May are nhl and nba playoffs, and start of baseball season. It is probably the busiest sports months of the year where football is not involved. 

Edited by wagon127
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I dont believe that..not one bit

As is your right. The NFL -with the exception of being reactive to player discipline- typically has their act together. This information isn't being conjured up by sports writers. If it was leaked by the League, it was intended to be. NFLRadio is discussing this very time frame as I type. Specifically, the games CAN’T start later than mid-October and still have a full schedule, thus the news release. The schedule gets released in a week or so in order for teams to plan travel/lodging stadium reqmts. Pushed back any further and Strike-shortened seasons schedules go into effect, based on who’s playing where on that pre-scheduled date. Earlier games get cancelled as needed at that time. Also saying the SB will be no later than Feb 28th. 

So while much is still up in the air, deadlines have been set.

33 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Unless of course you are one of the .009%.

I suspect that number is low by a couple of digits, but if it really were that low, it would be insanity to disrupt the world for such a small number.

We all have to die of something, and most things come in a lot higher that .009%.  We don't live our lives around it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/a-feb-28-super-bowl-no-pro-bowl-nfl-reportedly-has-some-curious-contingency-plans-with-schedule-205253348.html

Among the potential changes outlined in the Sports Business Daily story:

• The NFL could move the Super Bowl in Tampa Bay from Feb. 7 to another Sunday in February. The story said the league wants to keep the Super Bowl in February, meaning Feb. 28 would be possible.

• The NFL could eliminate the bye week between the conference championships and Super Bowl. The Pro Bowl is usually played in that bye week, and if the bye week is eliminated, the Pro Bowl would be, too.

• The season could be delayed until Oct. 15.

• The NFL could shift the schedule for two early weeks to the end of the season. A third week would have teams against opponents with the same bye week, so that week could be erased and all regular-season bye weeks would be eliminated.

Of course, the NFL doesn’t want to use any of these contingency plans. But the league is being realistic.

2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I suspect that number is low by a couple of digits, but if it really were that low, it would be insanity to disrupt the world for such a small number.

We all have to die of something, and most things come in a lot higher that .009%.  We don't live our lives around it.

When was the last time before COVID-19 that an infectious disease killed more than 50k Americans in a thirty day period?

This doesn’t make any sense, except for the NFL having to placate certain states who’s Governor’s want to overreach into the summer.  

I say this as someone who’s family members are in the medical field, have gotten COVID and recovered, but also have friends who have gotten it, and unfortunately one passed away.   I get what we’re dealing with, but without a vaccine, there’s nothing we can really do.  What difference does it make if football starts in October or September?    Just like right now, what difference does it make if states decide to responsibly re-open to the new normal of social distancing and/or masks in large gatherings? 

I too am beginning to question the long game of this countries reaction to COVID.  It’s like some want this to be worse than it is for whatever reasons they may have in doing so. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Bad math dude.  it's a ratio of .0097 which equals .97%  NOT .0097%.  Roughly 1/100 which is pretty much what has been suspected all along.  Makes it 10 times as deadly as the flu with the massive downside that it's more contagious because the symptoms often don't show (and we don't have a vaccine).

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

When was the last time before COVID-19 that an infectious disease killed more than 50k Americans in a thirty day period?

As I said - bad math in Gordio's post.  If it were really .01% it would have killed only 33K Americans after it had infected everyone - and that's a number we are proven not to care about.   Comparable with the annual flu: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

But again - the offered math was off by a factor of ONE HUNDRED.

Edited by BobChalmers

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This doesn’t make any sense, except for the NFL having to placate certain states who’s Governor’s want to overreach into the summer.  

I say this as someone who’s family members are in the medical field, have gotten COVID and recovered, but also have friends who have gotten it, and unfortunately one passed away.   I get what we’re dealing with, but without a vaccine, there’s nothing we can really do.  What difference does it make if football starts in October or September?    Just like right now, what difference does it make if states decide to responsibly re-open to the new normal of social distancing and/or masks in large gatherings? 

I too am beginning to question the long game of this countries reaction to COVID.  It’s like some want this to be worse than it is for whatever reasons they may have in doing so. 

Do you also question the reactions of every other country in the free world?