The trade that didn't happen

29 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Muti would’ve been an interesting get as well - if not for injury issues he’s a top interior lineman prospect - if he stays healthy he could end up being one of the steals of the draft.  Would’ve been a fan favorite here.  Ah well.

Absolutely!  If not for the covid issues deterring the medical e v a l portion of meeting with him, he most likely would’ve gone 3-4th round.  If he’s as healthy as advertised, the Broncos got a steal of a pick.  He’s a great kid, too.  I wish him the absolute best.  

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I heard that the Bills tried to trade up for Devin Duvernay

I could see that.  The Bills liked him.  I think it was someone from our team that said he was like a young Steve Smith.  Ravens got a good one.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DFT said:

I totally understand, but it’s not uncommon to disinform even after the fact.  Also, his comment could have been referring to the Giants at 180.  There’s a lot of grey here, but I’m pretty sure it was Muti.  Just my opinion.  It’ll come out I’m sure.

Muti was thought to be an excellent match for our gap/power scheme.  So that sure fits. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Wasn't it reported that they tried to trade up as high as 7 spots for Moss?

Seems to me I read that. They tried to move up for him and he fell to them anyway. But weren’t they also in the midst of a trade when targeted player was picked?

If he was targeting an O-Lineman, that rules out Round 2.  We picked at 54 and the last OL player to go before us was Robert Hunt at 39.

Beane stated they were targeting Zack Moss the entire time in Round 3, and actually tried to move-up for him.  Also ruled out.

Now Beane says he was discussing the trade with an NFC General Manager.

He also states the pick was about 3-4 spots above ours.

• In Round 4, we picked at 128.  OT Charlie Heck went only two picks before us.  So if we were targeting him, that would mean we were discussing a trade up one spot with Philly.  This doesn't fit.  However, Detroit took OG Logan Stenberg 7 picks before us.  And Chicago owned pick 125 (eventually traded to the Jets).  This is a fit.
  • In Round 5, there are several fits.  We picked at 167.  There are several NFC teams between us and when OC Nick Harris was picked at 160.  It's also worth noting that Beane "wasn't planning" on targeting a QB this weekend, and picked Jake Fromm simply because of value on the board.  This also suggests he was targeting something else, but it fell through.
  • There are also fits in Round 6.  We picked at 188.  There were a handful of OL players picked in the early 180s (Hakeem Adeniji, Netane Muti and Michael Onwenu).  There are also a group of NFC GMs in-between, including our counterpart the Panthers at 184.  We ended up taking a kicker at that pick.  Later in the round, OT Blake Brandel went a few picks before us.  With the Vikings sitting in-between.
  • Round 7 has Dustin Woodard going nine spots before us, with a handful of NFC teams in-between.

So by process of elimination, I believe the player Beane was targeting is among this list:

OG Logan Stenberg

OC Nick Harris

OT Hakeem Adeniji

OG Netane Muti

OG Michael Onwenu

OT Blake Brandel

OC Dustin Woodard

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mikemac2001 said:

why it’s something u can’t control and don’t really know and knowing changes nothing.

We got our guys where we got them. 

is it so you can debate this guy is better then who we picked?

I think this is obvious, but I'll share anyhow: because we're on a football message board, there is no football going on, I like the Buffalo Bills, I follow their draft, I watch them play, and I'm interested in players they thought would be a good fit.

Someone else shared this interest, and posted it online. Then you asked your question, and I answered it.

Stay safe!

?

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/27/brandon-beane-reveals-buffalo-bills-potential-2020-nfl-draft-trade/

Muti doesn't fit 3 or 4 picks away as he was the second pick in round 6, we owned eighth pick in round.

Beane wasn’t exact on how many picks ahead it was.  He just guessed 3 or 4 picks, so could be Muti. He just knew it wasn’t that far ahead of us.  

Also, saw some others think it was the 3rd.  But Beane said he was real nervous about the Moss pick, was hoping he would last.  I don’t think it was the third he was trying to trade up for an OL.  He said the wait for Moss was more stressful than the wait for Espensa 

Edited by Alphadawg7

27 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Can confirm. 

The whole “it was an OL” was BS. It’s a strong play by Beane though. Since the Bills didn’t take another OL it doesn’t put that guy in a weird situation. It would have been an awkward conversation with Gabriel Davis otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The whole “it was an OL” was BS. It’s a strong play by Beane though. Since the Bills didn’t take another OL it doesn’t put that guy in a weird situation. It would have been an awkward conversation with Gabriel Davis otherwise.

Why mention it then?  Seems odd to bring it up on his own and then have to lie about it.

I was on a player that got selected three or four slots ahead of one of our picks. I was on with a team with the NFC, and we pretty much had worked out the parameters for that move. And while I was talking to that GM, the player got selected. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/26/21237260/2020-nfl-draft-brandon-beane-transcript-from-day-2-aj-epenesa

59 minutes ago, gregor7777 said:

I think this is obvious, but I'll share anyhow: because we're on a football message board, there is no football going on, I like the Buffalo Bills, I follow their draft, I watch them play, and I'm interested in players they thought would be a good fit.

Someone else shared this interest, and posted it online. Then you asked your question, and I answered it.

Stay safe!

?

Oh it’s a message board I didn’t realize that 

I get having a debate and discussion but you could have this about every player and pick in the draft and where we might have moved up and down 

it’s not like debating between the WRs or RBs on the board when we picked this player or that player or why didn’t we pick this player instead of fromm or bass. 

In this scenario there are to many unknowns and it’s very pointless because of that. 

That’s why I stated who cares if you guys do have a discussion. I’ll get out of the thread 

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like Davis.  But Duvernay would fit the offense better and contribute right away.  Ah well.  Like the pass-catchers we've got now, now we need to coach up those rooks.

• Like (+1) 1