Brady and Belicheck Ego's Got in the Way?

Irv

If you believe that Tom and Bill both badly want to win without each other (which I do):

Belichick is playing the long game. TB has 1-2 years left max, Bill can coach as long as he is healthy and has the desire.

The 2020 Pats don't have the horses, TB or otherwise. They have an old roster and they have cap problems. They haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since 2013. There was no reason to think that running it back with Brady was going to work. 

Tom will go to Tampa get hurt and that will be the end.

Bill will have a great time playing 2020 with a terrible roster and getting credit for grinding to 9-7 ... but he is playing the long game and trying to load up for another run.

How Stidham fits into this is obviously anyone's guess.

I think Brady wanted to experience something new. He spent his entire career in NE and never experienced free agency, never had to learn a new offense, never got to play for a different coach, never really got to experience the NFL outside of the cult-like Patriots organization. It's not like Bill Belichick is fun to be around or fun to have as your coach. And Brady took discounts much of his career to keep the team good and he's unhappy that it didn't give him less crap from Belichick. Belichick still treated him like every other player, pretty much.

Bill Belichick I do think is on an ego trip. I think he wanted rid of Brady back when Jimmy G was still there. But honestly, I can't blame him for planning for the future and not putting all your eggs in a 40+ year old Brady basket.

Edited by MJS
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Irv said:

I get the feeling that Brady and Belicheck want to prove that they don't need each other...that their individual and collective legacy wasn't because of a system (Brady) or the best quarterback of all-time (Belicheck).   Brady left and Belicheck didn't draft and hasn't yet gone out to get a QB.  I don't think that question will be answered this year because I think they are both going to do poorly. They will be saddled with that question for all time.  

Or I could be overthinking it and Belicheck is just plain vicious and thankless and realized Brady has lost it and let him walk.  

Belly is losing for Lawrence.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Pobably is a tale of two egos tbh. I can see it from both sides.

Brady wants better weapons, because, as has been pointed out, he's been very team friendly with re-structures etc., and feels he's due some help.

Belichick sees Brady is nowhere near the player he was, so is going back to good D and running the football, and will get players that suit that, because Garoppolo got run out of town.

Brady has probably got an extra two years at the Cheaters, due to Kraft, but I believe that even Kraft has seen the regression in Brady, over the last couple of years.

I would not be at all surprised if Belichick goes shooping for a QB @ lastminute.com, and gets someone capable, for peanuts. The Cheaters season will start slowly, but they will be a solid team again by the last part of the season, and still be challenging for a playoff berth.

I really don't care what happens with the Buccs.

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Listened to Sal Cappacio today and he said it’s quite possible Beane drafted Jake Fromm thinking the Pats really wanted him. Makes sense: Bellicheat trying to draft Brady Junior (smart kid, student of the game, not a huge arm, not super mobile, but super accurate). If so, I love it! Go Beane. 

If they really wanted him they would have drafted him.

It will be a healthy thing for me to see a Bills sweep or 2 before BB decides to retire.  That guy has owned us for too long.

He's a great coach, but people do stay past their shelf life in sports.  Shula owned us for ages, too, before the game passed him by a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Their egos got in the way of what? Winning 6 super bowls? 

I think you missed the OPs point...

12 hours ago, slaphappy said:

Maybe it was boredom.. they are both in their twilight and looking for one last challenge?

Agree 1,000 percent on this. I think both were done with the situation they had been in for 20 years. 

10 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Brady wanted to experience something new. He spent his entire career in NE and never experienced free agency, never had to learn a new offense, never got to play for a different coach, never really got to experience the NFL outside of the cult-like Patriots organization. It's not like Bill Belichick is fun to be around or fun to have as your coach. And Brady took discounts much of his career to keep the team good and he's unhappy that it didn't give him less crap from Belichick. Belichick still treated him like every other player, pretty much.

Bill Belichick I do think is on an ego trip. I think he wanted rid of Brady back when Jimmy G was still there. But honestly, I can't blame him for planning for the future and not putting all your eggs in a 40+ year old Brady basket.

I don't think it's ego at all with Belichick. He's the smartest, most creative coach in history, and I simply think he wants a new challenge before he's all done. Doing the same thing over and over doesn't hold much appeal for a coach in the twilight of a legendary career.

I have learned in most situations chemistry is a huge component of the end product, football is a bit different because you have a lot of different moving parts & most players that make it into the NFL are either elite, really close to that status, or will be shown that they are not worthy !  

In bands more so than not if that chemistry is changed by a new member it can be catastrophic ! Molly Hatchet when Danny Jo had to quit,  Aerosmith when the toxic twins broke up, and most all the bands that Clapton left basically folded upon him leaving but the fame followed him to more bands & then his own individual fame . 

Will Brady be like Clapton & go on to prove he was biggest component of the chemistry that made the Pats champions so many times ? Bellichek has made runs with out Brady but will he be like the Bulls when Micheal left to play a different ball game ? Close but no cigar ... Some leaders are the difference !

Every situation there always has to be leaders in team sports you usually need at least 2 or more , Bellichek- Brady, Jackson- Jordon and usually there are huge ego's involved in that chemistry .

I'm watching "The Last Dance" the chemistry on those teams were like that that the Pats have shown for 20 + yrs the coach is the mastermind that lays out what needs to be done then the leaders on the team take over & have to motivate the others to bring up their game while the coach keeps the overall plan in focus .

Brady will be known as one of those motivators by his actions in NE if he brings a championship to Tampa that will just confirm to everyone that he is intact the G.O.A.T. I don't think he will win another championship in Tampa but i have learned I'm not gonna put anything past him cause with Brady when you least expect it Expect it !!  

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Oh no I got it. It’s a ridiculous point responded to in kind. 

Okay then... I guess we will all do what we can to remember that your the one that’s right.... ?

52 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think it's ego at all with Belichick. He's the smartest, most creative coach in history, and I simply think he wants a new challenge before he's all done. Doing the same thing over and over doesn't hold much appeal for a coach in the twilight of a legendary career.

And the most cheatiest.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t see Belichick’s ego allowing him to look sucky as soon as Brady leaves. I don’t see him as being loyal to anything other than his evil, cheating self. I hope to see him competing for 3rd to 4th in the AFCE until he retires. 

It's not in Belichick nature anyway, but absolutely yes to this.

14 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I refuse to believe the Pats are going into the season with Stidham and Hoyer as their QBs. Options?

- Trade for Dalton. Sometimes the obvious choice is the right choice. But the cap hit is $18 million so they'd have to shed big money somewhere else.

- Sign Cam. Hard to think that Belichick-Newton would work. 

- Sign Flacco. He was told he'd be released by the Broncos with a failed physical designation. I think he still wants to play. I know I'm in the minority here, but ... he wasn't terrible in 2019. Just not good enough to win. Kind of a checkdown artist at this stage of his career. Squint hard enough and you could have imagined him putting in a Brady 2019 type season (yeah, that's not good, but good enough to win 12 games) in NE. Brady QB rating in 2019: 88.0. Flacco: 85.1. See what I mean?

Or maybe we'll still see some kind of much bigger trade than everyone's expecting ....

Flacco is not a good QB. Pretty much parlayed long stretches of average play in the regular season combined with great play in the playoffs into a massive payday. Kinda similar to Foles in that regard.

14 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I refuse to believe the Pats are going into the season with Stidham and Hoyer as their QBs. Options?

- Trade for Dalton. Sometimes the obvious choice is the right choice. But the cap hit is $18 million so they'd have to shed big money somewhere else.

- Sign Cam. Hard to think that Belichick-Newton would work. 

- Sign Flacco. He was told he'd be released by the Broncos with a failed physical designation. I think he still wants to play. I know I'm in the minority here, but ... he wasn't terrible in 2019. Just not good enough to win. Kind of a checkdown artist at this stage of his career. Squint hard enough and you could have imagined him putting in a Brady 2019 type season (yeah, that's not good, but good enough to win 12 games) in NE. Brady QB rating in 2019: 88.0. Flacco: 85.1. See what I mean?

Or maybe we'll still see some kind of much bigger trade than everyone's expecting ....

They can’t and won’t be able to afford either Dalton or Newton this year unless Belichick guts the team completely and at that point you wouldn’t have a team worth signing either Dalton or Newton for

• Like (+1) 2

Honestly, i could give less than a ***** about the NE dream team at this point.....

1) they broke up

2) we had a pretty good draft and i'm excited to see how it all plays out this season

3} we got ourselves a pretty good team and NE is the farthest thing from my mind

Let it go, man........you dig?