Brady and Belicheck Ego's Got in the Way?

Irv

I get the feeling that Brady and Belicheck want to prove that they don't need each other...that their individual and collective legacy wasn't because of a system (Brady) or the best quarterback of all-time (Belicheck).   Brady left and Belicheck didn't draft and hasn't yet gone out to get a QB.  I don't think that question will be answered this year because I think they are both going to do poorly. They will be saddled with that question for all time.  

Or I could be overthinking it and Belicheck is just plain vicious and thankless and realized Brady has lost it and let him walk.  

Edited by Irv
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Of course it’s ego. Remember, before Brady, Belichick was a below average coach. Granted, he had some bad teams in cleveland and NE But he’s only 51-65 when Brady wasn’t his QB, which includes a 11-5 years with Matt Cassel as the Qb

I refuse to believe the Pats are going into the season with Stidham and Hoyer as their QBs. Options?

- Trade for Dalton. Sometimes the obvious choice is the right choice. But the cap hit is $18 million so they'd have to shed big money somewhere else.

- Sign Cam. Hard to think that Belichick-Newton would work. 

- Sign Flacco. He was told he'd be released by the Broncos with a failed physical designation. I think he still wants to play. I know I'm in the minority here, but ... he wasn't terrible in 2019. Just not good enough to win. Kind of a checkdown artist at this stage of his career. Squint hard enough and you could have imagined him putting in a Brady 2019 type season (yeah, that's not good, but good enough to win 12 games) in NE. Brady QB rating in 2019: 88.0. Flacco: 85.1. See what I mean?

Or maybe we'll still see some kind of much bigger trade than everyone's expecting ....

• Like (+1) 1

Brady had enough of the "Patriot Way", and didn't like how things went there with getting him weapons on offense.  He's a vocal player but I've never seen him chew guys out as much as he did last year. There's also reason Gronkowski came back to play with him in Tampa. There's no chance he returns if Tom's still in New England.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, arcane said:

This exact point has been made here for thousands of times over a span of 5+ years.

What else are we going to do.  I'm locked in my house.  

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

The dog did okay for his first draft.  He may have a future in a front office somewhere in the league.

I'd take dead dog over Whaley.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

My pure speculation....Belichick is going to bottom out the team this year and retire. The Pats will do everything they need to do to get Trevor Lawrence. Josh McDaniels will be the HC.  Belichick cares about McDaniels too much to start him off with a crap team with no QB -- that's why he is coaching this year.  McDaniels has been exceedingly loyal and Belichick feels the need to repay that loyalty.  Loyalty is a honor code with Belichick...

With my amazing track record of speculation -- this means tomorrow NE trades for Dalton or signs Newton...

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

Listened to Sal Cappacio today and he said it’s quite possible Beane drafted Jake Fromm thinking the Pats really wanted him. Makes sense: Bellicheat trying to draft Brady Junior (smart kid, student of the game, not a huge arm, not super mobile, but super accurate). If so, I love it! Go Beane. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I refuse to believe the Pats are going into the season with Stidham and Hoyer as their QBs. Options?

- Trade for Dalton. Sometimes the obvious choice is the right choice. But the cap hit is $18 million so they'd have to shed big money somewhere else.

I'm not sure how the contracts/cap works with trades, but I'd assume they'll try to trade for Dalton & regotiate his contract. I'm sure Dalton would jump at the chance to start for $10M vs sit & watch a rookie for $18M.

16 minutes ago, JoeF said:

My pure speculation....Belichick is going to bottom out the team this year and retire. The Pats will do everything they need to do to get Trevor Lawrence. Josh McDaniels will be the HC.  Belichick cares about McDaniels too much to start him off with a crap team with no QB -- that's why he is coaching this year.  McDaniels has been exceedingly loyal and Belichick feels the need to repay that loyalty.  Loyalty is a honor code with Belichick...

With my amazing track record of speculation -- this means tomorrow NE trades for Dalton or signs Newton...

I don’t see Belichick’s ego allowing him to look sucky as soon as Brady leaves. I don’t see him as being loyal to anything other than his evil, cheating self. I hope to see him competing for 3rd to 4th in the AFCE until he retires. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Listened to Sal Cappacio today and he said it’s quite possible Beane drafted Jake Fromm thinking the Pats really wanted him. Makes sense: Bellicheat trying to draft Brady Junior (smart kid, student of the game, not a huge arm, not super mobile, but super accurate). If so, I love it! Go Beane. 

Fromm wasn't even super accurate last year. He threw a lot of wobblers and balls that hit the dirt

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

What were his college stats TD/INT ratio? Completion %?  I know it was decent. 

His TD to int ratio is pretty great. But he still went from 34-6 to 24-5 . His completion% went from 67 to 60 and his arm just seemed off for a guy going into his big JR year

Edited by Buffalo716