Melvin Gordon waited until today to officially sign with Broncos so LAC would not get comp pick (update: he signed just in time)

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I love this. An organization known for playing hard ball with players takes it. I always go millionaires over billionaires.

Billionaires win again... this was false news. Chargers get their comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’ll go to my grave saying this. But it is beyond idiotic that the NFL even has comp picks. There are no “small market” NFL teams to protect. Every NFL team has the ability to spend to the cap. Why would you reward them for choosing not to re-sign their own? It’s always a choice. It’s such an extreme case where money doesn’t talk in the NFL, where money doesn’t reign supreme. So in 99% of cases, the team chooses not to re-sign the player. Why should they be rewarded for making that choice. If the NFL insists on comp picks the absolute highest they should award is a 5th rounder. 5-7 rounds are insignificant enough where it’s ok. 

Couldn’t agree more.  Ten 3rd round comp picks this year was ridiculous.  That’s 10 extra players gone before the start of the 4th round.  Most drafts really start to thin out after the first 100 picks.  Not only does it help the same teams every year who don’t need the help, it really hurts the teams at the top of the 4th round.  Comp picks have definitely out-lived whatever it’s original intent was.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Good player who I wanted the Bills to draft at the time.   Injury plagued career.  Not sure he would have been here after his first contract ran out.  Knowing the Bills management at the time.

I wouldn't say injury plagued, but he's had injuries.  Can't argue that the Bills wouldn't have let him go.  He's played 80% of the games where he wasn't out (2013), so I'd rather have that than the crap we've had at RT  in the last decade.  It's just every time I hear "Bulaga", all I can remember is Spiller, and how much we blew that pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you.  Shame on the Chargers for offering to pay him $10M a year.  If he's mad at anyone, it should be his agent.  He didn't dissuade him from refusing a good offer and losing more money through a hold out.  Then subsequently he signed for $8M with Denver.  Looks like a brilliant bargaining strategy to me.....lol.  I don't disagree with players negotiating to maximize their earnings but I can't feel sorry for a guy that drives the car off a cliff when he had a decent option.

Pigs get fat.  Hogs get slaughtered.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Comp picks need to go away. Teams should not be rewarded for allowing players to walk in free agency. Sign them if you want, or let him walk and get nothing. That's the choice it should be.

And yes, that's including the Bills. I don't think our team should get them either. It's a stupid rule.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

He didn’t like getting offered $4M more?

He absolutely didn’t owe them the comp pick, I agree. I just don’t get why he’d be so spiteful after a (failed) hold out where his contract demands were proven to be completely unreasonable.

We're pretending we know what he is angry about and that it's purely the size of the offer. And that's likely not true. How did they handle it? Did spiteful things get said? Did he thing they should've tried to give him the same offer this year as he did last year? Did they just have a bad relationship? Was the offer written on toilet paper? Did they sit him down man-to-man and explain that they wanted him, that they like him, but that it was a business decision? Or did they not?

I can't imagine him - reasonably - being angry for the offer after he had to sign after he got less elsewhere. But there's plenty of other possible reasons he could feel angry.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have no idea what that negotiation and his relationship with the team was. Maybe things were said? Maybe they treated his family poorly? Maybe he didn’t like the food? We have no idea what happened leading to this. 

Ah, I didn't need to say anything, you'd already said it. Exactly.

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Ten 3rd round comp picks this year was ridiculous.  That’s 10 extra players gone before the start of the 4th round.  Most drafts really start to thin out after the first 100 picks.  Not only does it help the same teams every year who don’t need the help, it really hurts the teams at the top of the 4th round.  Comp picks have definitely out-lived whatever it’s original intent was.  

I have no problem with the idea. But whatever rule you put in place, smart teams are going to find ways to use the system better than the dumb teams. Law of nature.

Thank goodness we've become one of the smart teams.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Spiller ?‍♂️  I suppose it was a different time of football, but I’m sure glad no one is dumb enough to pick a RB that high anymore. Unless it’s a true generational talent. The Bills used to love doing two hallmarks of losing franchises, drafting cornerbacks and running backs high. 

Drafting 1st Rd. CBs never went out of style. A boatload were picked Thursday. 

10 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Spiller ?‍♂️  I suppose it was a different time of football, but I’m sure glad no one is dumb enough to pick a RB that high anymore. Unless it’s a true generational talent. The Bills used to love doing two hallmarks of losing franchises, drafting cornerbacks and running backs high. 

I've had hangovers that were longer than Spiller's career

• Haha (+1) 2

He screwed himself trying to pull a page from the Levion / AB book of how to make it in the NFL . I know there was talk about getting him but i'm so glad that Beane didn't make that one happen !! Even if they wouldn't have gotten Moss in the draft !! ?

14 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Spiller, Maybin and the hiring of Jauron are memories I can’t lose fast enough.  All three were a WTF are they thinking moment. In the end the fanbase was a lot smarter than the front office. Thankfully those times seem like a distance memory!

Can we toss Levy as GM and Whitner at #8 into the mix for old times sake?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Can we toss Levy as GM and Whitner at #8 into the mix for old times sake?

Forgot about Whitner. I was stunned and speechless we didn’t take Haloti Ngata, DT!  Highlights the incompetence of our organization at the time.  Honestly, for a period of time, they should have just polled the fans on who to pick. Talk about rock bottom. Looking back I was numb being a Bill’s fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TheProcess said:

That’s cold. However, he should only be upset with himself. Not the chargers. Dude passed up a solid deal and got stiffed as a FA. 

This.  I don't really understand how anyone could have an issue with the Chargers on this one.   Gorden held out, rejected a high-end offer, got the freedom he wanted, and then had his true value revealed by the market.   Guess he didn't learn much from Bell.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was rough. It used to bother me way too much. Many posters on this board would call me after certain draft picks just he hear my obscenity laced tirades.  And you are JUST so right about fans being polled. It sounds crazy but year after year fans on this board had better drafts than the Bills.

I am pretty happy with Beane. :thumbsup::beer:

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Spiller, Maybin and the hiring of Jauron are memories I can’t lose fast enough.  All three were a WTF are they thinking moment. In the end the fanbase was a lot smarter than the front office. Thankfully those times seem like a distance memory!

There was also giving Jauron a big contract extension after, what was it, a 5-1 start and giving Fitz a big extension after a good start.  Jauron’s actually didn’t matter much when he was fired anyways but Fitz’s deal affected the salary cap.  Also, why did Chris Kelsey keep deserving notable extensions?  Great locker room guy?!

On 4/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

I’ll go to my grave saying this. But it is beyond idiotic that the NFL even has comp picks. There are no “small market” NFL teams to protect. Every NFL team has the ability to spend to the cap. Why would you reward them for choosing not to re-sign their own? It’s always a choice. It’s such an extreme case where money doesn’t talk in the NFL, where money doesn’t reign supreme. So in 99% of cases, the team chooses not to re-sign the player. Why should they be rewarded for making that choice. If the NFL insists on comp picks the absolute highest they should award is a 5th rounder. 5-7 rounds are insignificant enough where it’s ok. 

Its a trade off off on free agency where they develop them to only lose them after 4 yrs.  some teams could becash strapped where other teams can offer more money than the original team can afford.  In MLB teams get comps.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

I like that it rewards teams that draft and develop well. Often they DON'T have a choice because they cannot afford the contract.

The league has enough parity as it is. No comp picks would create even more because teams wouldn't be able to sustain their success.