Melvin Gordon waited until today to officially sign with Broncos so LAC would not get comp pick (update: he signed just in time)

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nah we should have drafted Earl Thomas in the 1st, then Gronk in the 2nd, Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd, Geno Atkins in the 4th, Reshad Jones in the 5th, Antonio Brown in the 6th, and Alejandro Villanueva in the 7th. Many bad decisions made and players passed on that draft day in 2010. 

Hindsight is hindsight, but taking Spiller when we had Jackson and Lynch was mind-bogglingly stupid. Taking an RB in the top ten when we had two RB1s already was far more ridiculous and inexcusable than draft busts or missing out on stars (which is just the way the draft goes, for the most part). 

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, ny33 said:

Hindsight is hindsight, but taking Spiller when we had Jackson and Lynch was mind-bogglingly stupid. Taking an RB in the top ten when we had two RB1s already was far more ridiculous and inexcusable than draft busts or missing out on stars (which is just the way the draft goes, for the most part). 

What was it? Chan wanted a water bug or something? Utterly ridiculous especially knowing how good Lynch and Jackson were and seeing what they could become. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I always love hearing Bulaga news.  Just keeps reminding us of how ridiculously stupid the Spiller pick was.  Shoulda been Bulaga, and we would have had an RT for a decade.

Good player who I wanted the Bills to draft at the time.   Injury plagued career.  Not sure he would have been here after his first contract ran out.  Knowing the Bills management at the time.

36 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What was it? Chan wanted a water bug or something? Utterly ridiculous especially knowing how good Lynch and Jackson were and seeing what they could become. 

Spiller, Maybin and the hiring of Jauron are memories I can’t lose fast enough.  All three were a WTF are they thinking moment. In the end the fanbase was a lot smarter than the front office. Thankfully those times seem like a distance memory!

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I love this. An organization known for playing hard ball with players takes it. I always go millionaires over billionaires.

But the Chargers were 100% right, which is why he was signed for way less than he was holding out for. Should Robert Foster try to screw us if he asks for $12M per?

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

guess he's pretty bitter they didn't hand him over money not warranted by his production..

I agree with you.  Shame on the Chargers for offering to pay him $10M a year.  If he's mad at anyone, it should be his agent.  He didn't dissuade him from refusing a good offer and losing more money through a hold out.  Then subsequently he signed for $8M with Denver.  Looks like a brilliant bargaining strategy to me.....lol.  I don't disagree with players negotiating to maximize their earnings but I can't feel sorry for a guy that drives the car off a cliff when he had a decent option.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you.  Shame on the Chargers for offering to pay him $10M a year.  If he's mad at anyone, it should be his agent.  He didn't dissuade him from refusing a good offer and losing more money through a hold out.  Then subsequently he signed for $8M with Denver.  Looks like a brilliant bargaining strategy to me.....lol.  I don't disagree with players negotiating to maximize their earnings but I can't feel sorry for a guy that drives the car off a cliff when he had a decent option.

Yeah if you’re pissed at an org for offering $10M when the best deal you could get on the open market was $8M, then you’re an idiot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But the Chargers were 100% right, which is why he was signed for way less than he was holding out for. Should Robert Foster try to screw us if he asks for $12M per?

They stuck to their guns and he stuck to his. I don’t see the correlation? He didn’t like the way that they handled it and left them without the benefit of a comp pick. He didn’t owe them the comp pick opportunity anymore than they owed him what he was seeking. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They stuck to their guns and he stuck to his. I don’t see the correlation? He didn’t like the way that they handled it and left them without the benefit of a comp pick. He didn’t owe them the comp pick opportunity anymore than they owed him what he was seeking. 

He didn’t like getting offered $4M more?

He absolutely didn’t owe them the comp pick, I agree. I just don’t get why he’d be so spiteful after a (failed) hold out where his contract demands were proven to be completely unreasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He didn’t like getting offered $4M more?

He absolutely didn’t owe them the comp pick, I agree. I just don’t get why he’d be so spiteful after a (failed) hold out where his contract demands were proven to be completely unreasonable.

We have no idea what that negotiation and his relationship with the team was. Maybe things were said? Maybe they treated his family poorly? Maybe he didn’t like the food? We have no idea what happened leading to this. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the comp picks are ridiculous posters. If they exist at all they should be at the end of the draft. A 3rd rnd pick just because someone else got your player in fa is stupid imo. Every team has to spend close to the cap so it makes no sense that it is supposed to help small market teams. It definitely hasn't helped Buffalo much over the years. It seems to me it has helped already good teams a lot more than the weak teams. It needs to be changed.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I always love hearing Bulaga news.  Just keeps reminding us of how ridiculously stupid the Spiller pick was.  Shoulda been Bulaga, and we would have had an RT for a decade.

An injured RT for a decade.  But the Spiller pick was ridiculous when we already had Lynch and Fredex.  Nice frikin pick Buddy Nix..  Is Buddy still alive at this point?  Does anyone know?