Melvin Gordon waited until today to officially sign with Broncos so LAC would not get comp pick (update: he signed just in time)

I’ll go to my grave saying this. But it is beyond idiotic that the NFL even has comp picks. There are no “small market” NFL teams to protect. Every NFL team has the ability to spend to the cap. Why would you reward them for choosing not to re-sign their own? It’s always a choice. It’s such an extreme case where money doesn’t talk in the NFL, where money doesn’t reign supreme. So in 99% of cases, the team chooses not to re-sign the player. Why should they be rewarded for making that choice. If the NFL insists on comp picks the absolute highest they should award is a 5th rounder. 5-7 rounds are insignificant enough where it’s ok. 

• Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I always love hearing Bulaga news.  Just keeps reminding us of how ridiculously stupid the Spiller pick was.  Shoulda been Bulaga, and we would have had an RT for a decade.

Spiller ?‍♂️  I suppose it was a different time of football, but I’m sure glad no one is dumb enough to pick a RB that high anymore. Unless it’s a true generational talent. The Bills used to love doing two hallmarks of losing franchises, drafting cornerbacks and running backs high. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I really respect that level of spite. 

28 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’ll go to my grave saying this. But it is beyond idiotic that the NFL even has comp picks. There are no “small market” NFL teams to protect. Every NFL team has the ability to spend to the cap. Why would you reward them for choosing not to re-sign their own? It’s always a choice. It’s such an extreme case where money doesn’t talk in the NFL, where money doesn’t reign supreme. So in 99% of cases, the team chooses not to re-sign the player. Why should they be rewarded for making that choice. If the NFL insists on comp picks the absolute highest they should award is a 5th rounder. 5-7 rounds are insignificant enough where it’s ok. 

At worst they should certainly change the formula. Right now if you sign 5 players who weren't cut from other teams to 5 contracts worth 1 million dollars each and you lose 5 players who each sign for a contract of 10 million or more you don't get a comp pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I always love hearing Bulaga news.  Just keeps reminding us of how ridiculously stupid the Spiller pick was.  Shoulda been Bulaga, and we would have had an RT for a decade.

Nah we should have drafted Earl Thomas in the 1st, then Gronk in the 2nd, Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd, Geno Atkins in the 4th, Reshad Jones in the 5th, Antonio Brown in the 6th, and Alejandro Villanueva in the 7th. Many bad decisions made and players passed on that draft day in 2010. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I like the no more comp pick idea.  Or just put them at the end of the 7th.  It’s basically lime first crack at UDFA then.  

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Nah we should have drafted Earl Thomas in the 1st, then Gronk in the 2nd, Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd, Geno Atkins in the 4th, Reshad Jones in the 5th, Antonio Brown in the 6th, and Alejandro Villanueva in the 7th. Many bad decisions made and players passed on that draft day in 2010. 

we sucked at drafting for soo long. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

What I really don’t like is how it dries up the trade market for anything less than a 3rd rounder. As it stands, teams are rewarded for letting a player walk instead of trading them to a different team for a 4th or higher. 

• Like (+1) 3