Patriots got a little weaker - James Devlin retires

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I honestly don't know why ANYONE is scared of this team.

If anybody else was going into camp with Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham at the top of their QB depth chart, they would be a laughing stock.  Not to mention, they have done absolutely nothing to upgrade their offensive skill positions (which were pretty bad last season).  Because it's Bill Belichick, everyone assumes he just knows something everyone else doesn't.  

Who is scared of them?

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

In 2008, Belichick coached a team led by Matt Cassel to a 10-5 record when Brady went down with a knee injury. That includes two wins over the Bills. During Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension in 2016, Belichick got three wins out of a combination of Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett. 

I wouldn't underestimate Belichick. 

And his first year in NE without Brady he went 5-11.

Trying to be as objective as possible, are the Patriots stronger than the Bills at any position group? 

Bills definitely stronger at: QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB

Bills probably better at: OL

Think Bills are better but closest: DB 

Maybe punter? 

Yes they have the best coach. 

Pats go 3-3 in division, 1-3 vs. NFC west, 2-2 at best vs. AFC West, lose to Ravens, flip a coin vs. Texans, that's 7-9 or 6-10. 

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

And his first year in NE without Brady he went 5-11.

I think he went 5-11 back to back years before Brady got the start

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And I actually am in the minority that I think Stidham will be okay. Not great, maybe like Matt Moore with the Panthers good.

Matt Moore was a great back up that’s as far as it got for him. He got benched multiple times back in Carolina

On 4/27/2020 at 4:45 PM, RobbRiddick said:

I'd honestly be surprised if Belichick signs a 'known'' QB. I think he's going to be so motivated to do well this season with this roster so he can show what a genius he is, that he can do it without Brady and a roster people are writing off. 

At this point Brady and Belichick are like two songwriting partners who have had a bunch of hits but each one feels the other guy unfairly gets too much of the credit. 

Simon & Garfunkel, which one is which Bill = Paul and Tom =Art ?

On 4/27/2020 at 3:47 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

James Devlin FB retires. He was a very good blocker for them. Sorry that he is hurt, but glad that he creates a hole for the Patsies.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111928/article/roundup-patriots-fb-james-devlin-retiring-from-nfl

Will New England let him unretire if he wants to play for the T*m Br*dy Buccaneers? 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:07 PM, mjt328 said:

I honestly don't know why ANYONE is scared of this team.

If anybody else was going into camp with Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham at the top of their QB depth chart, they would be a laughing stock.  Not to mention, they have done absolutely nothing to upgrade their offensive skill positions (which were pretty bad last season).  Because it's Bill Belichick, everyone assumes he just knows something everyone else doesn't.  

He knows they are tanking?

Edited by Limeaid
typo

On 4/27/2020 at 4:45 PM, RobbRiddick said:

I'd honestly be surprised if Belichick signs a 'known'' QB. I think he's going to be so motivated to do well this season with this roster so he can show what a genius he is, that he can do it without Brady and a roster people are writing off. 

At this point Brady and Belichick are like two songwriting partners who have had a bunch of hits but each one feels the other guy unfairly gets too much of the credit. 

When one starts talking about cheating and US says enough with NFL coverups.  IRS digs in and press charges on unreported money.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:04 PM, MJS said:

Not expecting them to really suck or anything, but I just don't think it's possible for them to not take at least a modest step back. If they win double digit games this year, we'll all have to admit yet again what a great cheater Bill Belichick is.

Corrected. Some still will not.

On April 27, 2020 at 7:46 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Wow, a team goes down after...a FB retires?  What's the status of their long snapper though?  Ans what happens when they retire their fax machines and cordless phones??

Re-read the title and you'll see little need to be defensive about your team.  OP simply said a little weaker.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:12 PM, MJS said:

I also feel it isn't relevant to refer to what he did with Matt Cassel and a loaded roster 13 years ago, but that seems to come up a lot.

The people wanting to declare the Patriots dead need to get on the same page.  Some keep talking about how bad he is at drafting.  Others want to say that the only reason he won so many games with Cassel is because of the incredible roster he built.  He built the roster that was good enough to win 11 games with a backup QB.

Everyone has been asking what QB he plans to draft or sign that could make them a good team.  Nobody is considering that BB might believe in Stidham.  He’s had 2 years to prepare for this eventuality.  Nothing he’s done would lead me to believe he’s hell bent on overhauling the QB position.

23 minutes ago, Billl said:

The people wanting to declare the Patriots dead need to get on the same page.  Some keep talking about how bad he is at drafting.  Others want to say that the only reason he won so many games with Cassel is because of the incredible roster he built.  He built the roster that was good enough to win 11 games with a backup QB.

Everyone has been asking what QB he plans to draft or sign that could make them a good team.  Nobody is considering that BB might believe in Stidham.  He’s had 2 years to prepare for this eventuality.  Nothing he’s done would lead me to believe he’s hell bent on overhauling the QB position.

Why do people need to be on the same page? Why can't they have their own opinions?

My opinion is that BB is the best coach ever. Hest a good GM, but nothing special. He doesn't draft better than anyone or sign free agents better than anyone. He is great at trading, though.

The current pats team is significantly weaker than probably any team he's had, in my opinion. Even with Brady I think they would struggle to get to double digit wins, and without Brady I don't think they will. I don't care how good Stidham is, hest not going to be as good as even 42 year old Brady. I'm looking forward to facing them.