Patriots got a little weaker - James Devlin retires

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thank goodness.

I was really worried that he had ruined Tremaines career 2 years ago with that devastating block.  That was a man destroying a kid block.  Wasn’t sure Tremaine would ever be the same after getting smashed like that

This was the first thing I thought of too. When it happened I kind of felt like it was a cheap shot. Tremaine was not expecting what he got, but he should’ve been expecting it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I honestly don't know why ANYONE is scared of this team.

If anybody else was going into camp with Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham at the top of their QB depth chart, they would be a laughing stock.  Not to mention, they have done absolutely nothing to upgrade their offensive skill positions (which were pretty bad last season).  Because it's Bill Belichick, everyone assumes he just knows something everyone else doesn't.  

Their defense has taken hits as well.  Not a good team right now. 

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Their new kicker has a tattoo on his arm representing a right wing militia.  He's been told to obiiterate or cover it.  Yes, things are slipping in beantown. 

Team moving to Idaho?  ?  (Apologies to all the non ultra right wing wing nuts in Idaho.)

It's rumoured that Devlin will come out of retirement to sign a one day contract with the Bucs, to retire on the same team that Gronk and Brady play for.  ?

EDIT:  Full credit to Augie for earlier speculation that Devlin's trying to reunite with Brady in Tampa Bay.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

Belichick is 51-65 without Brady.

People refer to winning 11 games with Matt Cassell, but that was a LOADED 16 win team the year before. That’s a 5 (FIVE) game drop off without Brady. If you take 5 games off his win total every year you get.....quite ordinary. 

Don’t get me wrong, the guy is a genius (and repeatedly a cheater), but he’s not super-human. He’s not great at drafting, and I think at some point going forward I may worry more about the Dolphins than the Cheaters. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Thank goodness.

I was really worried that he had ruined Tremaines career 2 years ago with that devastating block.  That was a man destroying a kid block.  Wasn’t sure Tremaine would ever be the same after getting smashed like that

Devlin was carrying the rock on that play and bulldozed Tremaine

And if Tremaine couldn't recover from that  he wasn't born to be a football player. It happens

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

Belichick is 51-65 without Brady.

In 2008, Belichick coached a team led by Matt Cassel to a 10-5 record when Brady went down with a knee injury. That includes two wins over the Bills. During Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension in 2016, Belichick got three wins out of a combination of Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett. 

I wouldn't underestimate Belichick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BfloBillsFan said:

I’m not scared of the team just scared they end up with Trevor Lawrence 

That would require a tank, and I just can't see  them getting down with that. Not that they're ethical, or anything (obviously), but I think both Bellichick*, and Kraft* are too arrogant to allow a tank the very first season after Brady* retires. Give them a season, or two, and I'm sure they'll be more amenable to tanking for the right QB.

29 minutes ago, notwoz said:

In 2008, Belichick coached a team led by Matt Cassel to a 10-5 record when Brady went down with a knee injury. That includes two wins over the Bills. During Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension in 2016, Belichick got three wins out of a combination of Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett. 

Yep.

The Pats* won't suck until they do.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

They actually struggled to fill his role when he went down with injury, so this is good news. If BB has another hole to fill, good.

In 2008, Belichick coached a team led by Matt Cassel to a 10-5 record when Brady went down with a knee injury. Is that struggling?

40 minutes ago, notwoz said:

The Dolphins also had a really good season and then the next they sucked. Why? Because the AFC East had easy schedules that year. The Patriots were a stacked team that year coming off their undefeated regular season. Their team is no longer stacked.

Not expecting them to really suck or anything, but I just don't think it's possible for them to not take at least a modest step back. If they win double digit games this year, we'll all have to admit yet again what a great coach Bill Belichick is.

8 minutes ago, notwoz said:

In 2008, Belichick coached a team led by Matt Cassel to a 10-5 record when Brady went down with a knee injury. Is that struggling?

What's that have to do with James Devlin in 2020?

Cassel went on to have good years in KC, BTW, and made the pro bowl.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Devlin was carrying the rock on that play and bulldozed Tremaine

And if Tremaine couldn't recover from that  he wasn't born to be a football player. It happens

And if he wasn’t, that would’ve REALLY sucked.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

In NE?

What he did 25 years ago with the rotting corpse of Marty's '80s Browns teams isn't that concerning.

I also feel it isn't relevant to refer to what he did with Matt Cassel and a loaded roster 13 years ago, but that seems to come up a lot.