Patriots got a little weaker - James Devlin retires

18 hours ago, MJS said:

Why do people need to be on the same page? Why can't they have their own opinions?

You should at least be on the same page as your own post.  You’ve said in this thread that BB was able to win 11 games with a backup QB because of the stacked roster.  Then you say he’s nothing special as a GM.  Which is it?  Who do you think built that stacked roster?  

New England had one of the best defenses in the league last season.  They had probably the best special teams in the league last season.  You can win a lot of games with those two things even if your offense sucks.  Hell, Buffalo’s offense sucked last year and their special teams were mediocre and they won 10 games.  There’s a reason the Patriots are the favorites to win the AFCE in Vegas.  I think the Bills win the division, but it’s still going to be a tough putt.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

You should at least be on the same page as your own post.  You’ve said in this thread that BB was able to win 11 games with a backup QB because of the stacked roster.  Then you say he’s nothing special as a GM.  Which is it?  Who do you think built that stacked roster?  

New England had one of the best defenses in the league last season.  They had probably the best special teams in the league last season.  You can win a lot of games with those two things even if your offense sucks.  Hell, Buffalo’s offense sucked last year and their special teams were mediocre and they won 10 games.  There’s a reason the Patriots are the favorites to win the AFCE in Vegas.  I think the Bills win the division, but it’s still going to be a tough putt.

Keep in mind that their special teams coach is now w/ the Giants.

As for the D, were they really all that?  They looked amazing the 1st 8 games, against weak opponents (except us!)  After that, they were fine, but not a world beater. And they lost key players like Van Noy and Collins, in addition to some key players getting into "old" territory.

Beyond all of that, losing their O-line coach is a big deal. He held that line together w/ spit & glue at times.  Now they have to protect a 2nd year QB?  Bring it on.

I know we're trained to be cautious w/ the Pats, but it is OVAH.  When dynasties end, they tend to go over a cliff.  Remember when it looked like the Warriors were going to keep dominating the NBA for years?  Remember when Shula started to seem like the game had passed him by, after terrorizing us for almost 2 decades?

I see the Pats finishing 3rd at best next year.  Stidham will be the 1st of a line of QB's that can't fill the shoes.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Can Bill be regarded as merely a “good GM” while simultaneously acknowledging that he’s constructed at least one stacked roster over the past twenty years?

Edited by Ecmic82

15 hours ago, Ecmic82 said:

Can Bill be regarded as merely a “good GM” while simultaneously acknowledging that he’s constructed at least one stacked roster over the past twenty years?

19 consecutive winning seasons says he’s a great GM.  17 division titles says he’s a great GM.  9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 Super Bowl rings say he’s a great GM.  $100 bet on New England to win the division pays $91.  That same bet on the Bills pays $175, so Vegas thinks New England is about twice as likely to win the division as Buffalo.

I’ve said several times that I think Buffalo is the best team in the division.  I haven’t seen anyone on this site pick NE to win it.That probably means Vegas is going to clean up on people sleeping on BB.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:46 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Wow, a team goes down after...a FB retires?  What's the status of their long snapper though?  Ans what happens when they retire their fax machines and cordless phones??

Mr. Weo .. a little weaker means "by a small amount". He was a good FB, if you disagree with that, well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but if as many believe he was a strong blocker and now they will have a lesser blocker .. well then they are a little weaker.

As for their cordless phone I suppose they may be weaker if they have been using it to listen in to other team's phone calls (they are crafty).  

2 hours ago, Billl said:

19 consecutive winning seasons says he’s a great GM.  17 division titles says he’s a great GM.  9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 Super Bowl rings say he’s a great GM.  $100 bet on New England to win the division pays $91.  That same bet on the Bills pays $175, so Vegas thinks New England is about twice as likely to win the division as Buffalo.

I’ve said several times that I think Buffalo is the best team in the division.  I haven’t seen anyone on this site pick NE to win it.That probably means Vegas is going to clean up on people sleeping on BB.

I’m not going to argue he isn’t a great GM. He’s done well in selecting for Bill-the-coach’s system. He has intimate knowledge of what the best coach in league history wants, and he provides. Could he find such successful synergy with any coach that wasn’t himself? For now that’s unknowable, and I’m not sure it matters much, practically. But believing he *isnt* a great GM and acknowledging he built a stacked roster or two aren’t in and of themselves either/or propositions.

as for Vegas, I believe there is a ton of flawed regressive analysis when it comes to the Patriots. And you do see it on this board, and it does factor into the wacky AFCE futures betting.
Vegas will definitely even the money on such a long-term bet. They’ll win similarly no matter which team eventually wins the division.

What the Vegas line tells *me* is there’s a lot of scared money sitting this one out. If bettors (and I’m not one) REALLY think the Bills will win the division, then the Bills are fantastic value, because ALOT of would-be Bills money will be on the sidelines, and the line will continue to skew in Buffalo’s favor. Becuz “The Patriots”.

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Mr. Weo .. a little weaker means "by a small amount". He was a good FB, if you disagree with that, well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but if as many believe he was a strong blocker and now they will have a lesser blocker .. well then they are a little weaker.

As for their cordless phone I suppose they may be weaker if they have been using it to listen in to other team's phone calls (they are crafty).  

It's a tiny point to make a thread about, I thought.  FB is a vanishing position.  NE was 17th in rushing with him blocking.

Seems like  an insignificant loss.

4 hours ago, Ecmic82 said:

as for Vegas, I believe there is a ton of flawed regressive analysis when it comes to the Patriots. And you do see it on this board, and it does factor into the wacky AFCE futures betting.
Vegas will definitely even the money on such a long-term bet. They’ll win similarly no matter which team eventually wins the division

This is one of the biggest myths about gambling.  People think Vegas sets the line based on something other than what they believe will happen in order to get even money on both sides.  That is patently false.  The line absolutely gets set based on what Vegas thinks will happen.  Now Vegas would love it if they could get even money on both sides.  The lines may move very slightly in order to even things up a bit, but Vegas can’t get away with trying to middle the public at the expense of offering a line they don’t believe in.  The reason is simple.  Professional gamblers exist.  

Let’s say that Vegas thinks the Bills have a 60% chance of winning but the public drinks the New England Kool Ade, so Vegas would have to make NE the favorite in order to balance the action.  The professional gamblers would HAMMER Buffalo +175 at the last minute.  Millions of dollars would come in on Buffalo, and suddenly 75% of the action would be on the Bills at +175.  Vegas would lose its ass if that was their strategy, and Vegas didn’t become Vegas by losing.

That being the case, I can assure you that the sharpest minds in the industry think the Bills have roughly a 1 in 3 chance of winning the division.  They think the Chiefs and Ravens are nearly locks to make the playoffs.  The expectation is that New England wins the East with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and Tennessee also making the postseason.  Cleveland is next in line if someone slips up.  I feel like Buffalo should be the third best team in the AFC, but if there’s a gun to my head I’m following Vegas and rolling with NE.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:11 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Their new kicker has a tattoo on his arm representing a right wing militia.  He's been told to obiiterate or cover it.  Yes, things are slipping in beantown. 

https://deadspin.com/justin-rohrwassers-ignorance-about-3-percenters-isnt-be-1843089092

this story and it's white nationalist implications aren't going away anytime soon

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

https://deadspin.com/justin-rohrwassers-ignorance-about-3-percenters-isnt-be-1843089092

this story and it's white nationalist implications aren't going away anytime soon

His explanation is a total lie ("I thought it stood for a military-support symbol at the time" ).  He's essentially a walking illustrated recruitment poster for this group.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1