Josh Allen 2019 Home/Road Split

I went looking for the numbers based on a gut feeling about how Josh performed at home vs. road.  I think it's interesting in that he was statistically much better on the road and one might wonder what it's tied to.  If he has an entire 2020 season that is as good as his 2019 road games, I think we'd be pretty happy with the progress.

1)  Basically he was a road warrior.  It's tough to win on the road in the NFL is an old cliche.  Imo, it's very encouraging that he can lead them to big road wins so early in his career.

2)  A big chunk of the difference might be the the result of the home and away games vs. NE which might tend to say that it's an aberration.

3)  Some of the difference is likely due to the 4 extra windy home games at New Era that are tough on QB stats/passing games for either team.

Josh Allen 2019 Home-Away Split.JPG

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Something that doesn't get talked about enough this year was the fact that the wind was brutal at most home games. Miami/Washington/Philly and Baltimore all come to mind and obviously the Dec 29th Jets game was absolutely miserable (Josh played two series). 

Bengals and Pats I think were decent days but that's it. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

could just be a combination of your point #3 coupled with getting a little too nervous or amped up to perform well for the home crowd.

This is what I think it is...he needs to smoke some weed and mellow out before games...maybe even rub one out as well...then again, what the hell do I know...I just sell candy to little kids at the local fair...???

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

This team hasn't yet learned how to win at home, and Allen in particular is too keyed up at home, feeling pressure to perform. It's human nature to perform better when there aren't expectations on you, and the Bills have proven (and said) that they relish the "us against the world" challenge of road games. Home performance is a real problem that I hope will be intentionally addressed in the building and with Allen in particular.

14 hours ago, golfball323 said:

Something that doesn't get talked about enough this year was the fact that the wind was brutal at most home games. Miami/Washington/Philly and Baltimore all come to mind and obviously the Dec 29th Jets game was absolutely miserable (Josh played two series). 

Bengals and Pats I think were decent days but that's it. 

That is part of playing in buffalo.  After moving from the area to New England my opinion is the the biggest difference in the weather not snow or cold, its the wind. 

Edited by mattynh

The home weather was obnoxious af this past year. 

I was beyond sick of the pregame radio show having to spend multiple segments on the wind.  

The Eagles game was just Wentz throwing screens all day. 

Edited by SCBills

26 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hopefully never see the JA that played in the 2nd half of the Texans playoff game ever again..wasn’t too much wind inside that stadium..

This is so overblown (pun intended).  Despite a few bad decisions and "hero ball" Josh had them in position to win and they would have, but for a ridiculous penalty and a missed block by Knox.

• Like (+1) 5

17 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I went looking for the numbers based on a gut feeling about how Josh performed at home vs. road.  I think it's interesting in that he was statistically much better on the road and one might wonder what it's tied to.  If he has an entire 2020 season that is as good as his 2019 road games, I think we'd be pretty happy with the progress.

1)  Basically he was a road warrior.  It's tough to win on the road in the NFL is an old cliche.  Imo, it's very encouraging that he can lead them to big road wins so early in his career.

2)  A big chunk of the difference might be the the result of the home and away games vs. NE which might tend to say that it's an aberration.

3)  Some of the difference is likely due to the 4 extra windy home games at New Era that are tough on QB stats/passing games for either team.

Josh Allen 2019 Home-Away Split.JPG

Josh is a road warrior.

Or it could be a product of scheduling 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would love to see the JA that played at Dallas  every week...

Hopefully never see the JA that played in the 2nd half of the Texans playoff game ever again..wasn’t too much wind inside that stadium..

38 minutes ago, eball said:

This is so overblown (pun intended).  Despite a few bad decisions and "hero ball" Josh had them in position to win and they would have, but for a ridiculous penalty and a missed block by Knox.

I agree with eball.  

The JJ Watt coverage is blown out of proportion IMO.  

Yes JJ had a number of great plays.  He's JJ Watt!!! 

The late game blunder is on the coaches for calling a pass play on 4th and 15 when in the 50 yard range for a FG. 

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The late game blunder is on the coaches for calling a pass play on 4th and 15 when in the 50 yard range for a FG. 

I think this exact scenario is why they thought they needed to bring in a young kicker with a big leg. 

35 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

I think this exact scenario is why they thought they needed to bring in a young kicker with a big leg. 

TBH   Indoors Hauschka should have been able to kick that. It would have been a far better outcome then the disaster of a play that happened. 

Are we sure this rookie can hit these?   Maybe I misread the Bills story

Bass finished his four-year career with a 79 percent field goal percentage with a long of 50 yards.

it didn't appear to me as being Exceptional on 50+.  

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

TBH   Indoors Hauschka should have been able to kick that. It would have been a far better outcome then the disaster of a play that happened. 

Are we sure this rookie can hit these?   Maybe I misread the Bills story

Bass finished his four-year career with a 79 percent field goal percentage with a long of 50 yards.

Also who knows if the rookie will ever have the mental toughness to perform in a spot like that regardless of his athletic ability?

I agree about Hauschka likely being able to make that kick in Houston and being given the chance.

I was just thinking that the fact the coaches second guessed letting him kick in that scenario led to the thinking that they needed to find a new kicker.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MJS said:

I think it was coincidence. We need more data to come to any conclusion.

Looking at our competition I’d say it has a lot to do with which team we happened to play at home versus on the road - and the states of some of those teams.  Plus if you’re looking at wins and losses it’s tough to count the L in week 17 against the Jest.  Road wins against the Marcus Mariota led Titans and Duck Hodges led Steelers did us some favors.  Not only did we get the wins, but we didn’t exactly have to open up our offense against those two defenses to do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Not sure what “hero ball” means in the context of this game, but I agree with the “bad decisions” part...

He took sacks losing plenty of yards when he should have thrown the ball away, and not sure what he was thinking with the lateral... they were lucky as that probably should have been the game right there...

I guess I’m not trying to have that game rehashed again for the 1000th time...Just making a point that his play was bad at times last year, and I think some people want to look for excuses supposedly beyond his control to excuse it away.. ( like the wind)..

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not sure what “hero ball” means in the context of this game, but I agree with the “bad decisions” part...

He took sacks losing plenty of yards when he should have thrown the ball away, and not sure what he was thinking with the lateral... they were lucky as that probably should have been the game right there...

I guess I’m not trying to have that game rehashed again for the 1000th time...Just making a point that his play was bad at times last year, and I think some people want to look for excuses supposedly beyond his control to excuse it away.. ( like the wind)..

I don’t know if the wind had anything to do with it or not, but I know we had 3 home games in a row where it was a major storyline.    I know we had one game where Carson Wentz barely threw the ball over 10 yards down the field. 

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know if the wind had anything to do with it or not, but I know we had 3 home games in a row where it was a major storyline.    I know we had one game where Carson Wentz barely threw the ball over 10 yards down the field. 

Eagles, Redskins and Denver?

They actually won two of those games and he played ok in the last two.. not so great against the Eagles..

I was at the Bengals game which was a beautiful day and I think the weather was also good for the Patriots game although my memory is stretching a bit and I can’t be bothered looking it up.. he was patchy in the Bengals game ( at best)  and brutal in the Patriots game..

Edited by Aussie Joe