NFL.com moved us up 2 spots in power ranking after draft. Now #6

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Is it really? I mean there are only 2 teams that are different from the 4th place schedule and regardless we have no idea who are going to be surprise teams and what teams will take a step back.

In fairness - the whole division will have a much harder schedule - AFC West and NFC West this season - probably the two best divisions in the league - ouch.  We aren't going for the wild card this time, but getting a 1st round bye will be very challenging especially with the new format.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.  Dilfer and were both super bowl QBs. They won Super Bowls.  Were they the reasons their teams won the SB? No.  But they didn’t lose the SB for their teams.  QBs have lost many a SB based on their play.  I’m not saying Josh lost the Houston playoff game for us, but his play in the 2nd half was poor and he made some bad decisions.  If he was a super bowl qb last year, we would’ve won that game.

Hostetler

You don’t find out if someone is a super bowl qb until the season is over. It’s definitely not something you can find out the answer to in April.

edit:  You’ll argue that Lamar isn’t a SB QB because he isn’t one.  Yet.  

I rarely argue about stuff that is make believe.  Discussing whether or not Jackson is a SB QB is make believe at this point.  Yes, I think he’ll win one before he’s done.  No, I will not argue about it.  Why? Because it’s stupid 

I might lead towards Dilfer but then traded to or ending up in Seattle did not do a hell of a lot

Hostetler IMO is not ...  

I embrace the tough competition this season. We are going to see what this Bill's team is made of, mentally and physically. We have the talent and capabilities to compete against anyone but we have to put it all together this year. I can't wait to see how the team does as well as the coaches. McDermott will have to be on point as well, we talk about the players having to step up, I feel McDermott does as well and in a big way.

• Like (+1) 1

Lamar has a great defenses and he faced defenses that were scared of him and over perused him.

Buffalo had him contained in all but 1 blown play and the 2 playoff games he was completely shut down.  

He is a running QB with a fair passing game.  If it were on his shoulders alone he'd fail 

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Eli and Mariota only became backups AFTER we played them.  Would facing Daniel Jones and Tannehill for the 50th time really make that much of a difference??

I’m just saying that next year’s schedule will be much tougher sledding. Hard to say what difference it would have made facing Jones and Tannehill.

22 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Really? Browns Colts vs Steelers and Titans? HUGE difference. Titans, AFC championship game and Steelers get Ben back and that defense is a brutal monster. I think we will win both, but wayyyy harder.

I am not so sure about Steelers.  What does Ben have left in the tank....?  I think the Browns are gonna be better than them this year.  Colts look good although I'll admit that the Titans are better.  So I agree with the assertion that there is not much difference between the 2nd and 3rd slots.  Hell Pats might have it easier than both with the Texans.

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Lamar has a great defenses and he faced defenses that were scared of him and over perused him.

Buffalo had him contained in all but 1 blown play and the 2 playoff games he was completely shut down.  

He is a running QB with a fair passing game.  If it were on his shoulders alone he'd fail 

What are you even talking about?  Name ONE QB that that has one a SB on his own.  Please, enlighten us.   

lamar jackson has played 2 seasons.  He made the playoffs both years.  In the first year, his team was weak.  They made the playoffs because of lamar.  

last year, his team was better.  He was mvp.  Easily the best player in the league through the regular season.  We played him well.  We stifled him. And he still beat us.  

you can say w/e you like regarding the future.  No one is listening.  You can’t see the future

6 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I’m just saying that next year’s schedule will be much tougher sledding. Hard to say what difference it would have made facing Jones and Tannehill.

It doesn't get much easier than last year, that is true.  But we also will not be facing Brady x2 this year.  For the first time in 2 decades the division is up for grabs.  Anything short of winning the AFC East would be a major failure in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

We have to win our division to make the postseason, imo. We will not make it as a WC, despite the expansion.

48 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

...in overtime, in their house... BEFORE they traded away D Hop for a bag of potato chips...

The Bills are clearly better than the Texans now by any fair expectation.

Well that's the opinion of a lot of people, and like I said, it wouldn't take much to convince me. But I don't feel the Bills deserve to be placed over then yet, not that these things matter all that much anyway.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We have to win our division to make the postseason, imo. We will not make it as a WC, despite the expansion.

I think that's incredible untrue, but you are entitled to your opinion.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well that's the opinion of a lot of people, and like I said, it wouldn't take much to convince me. But I don't feel the Bills deserve to be placed over then yet, not that these things matter all that much anyway.

I think that's incredible untrue, but you are entitled to your opinion.

I am looking at our schedule and I just don’t see 10+ wins.

Maybe we go 6-0 in our division. I am not guaranteeing that. I could see 5-1 or 4-2.

NFC West - 2-2 at best

AFC West - 3-1 or 2-2

Tennessee and Pitt - 1-1

I think 9 wins is extremely possible this year, which may not be enough.

Seems fair, Ravens and Chiefs are ahead of them in the AFC, I would then say the Saints and 1-2 other NFC teams (Niners, Packers, or Seahawks) could be put ahead of the Bills. Right now there are no glaring needs along the Bills roster and most areas of the roster are deep. The Bills improved the offense with the Diggs and draft additions while keeping the defense just as strong if not slightly stronger with the AJ addition. The team also in my opinion improved a decent ST unit both in free agency and in the draft. The Bills could realistically field a top 5 defense, top 10 offense and top 10 ST unit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Is it really? I mean there are only 2 teams that are different from the 4th place schedule and regardless we have no idea who are going to be surprise teams and what teams will take a step back.

Last year they played NFC East dumpster fire. This year they play NFC west the best division in football. It's a big difference- on paper.

57 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It doesn't get much easier than last year, that is true.  But we also will not be facing Brady x2 this year.  For the first time in 2 decades the division is up for grabs.  Anything short of winning the AFC East would be a major failure in my opinion.

100% agree. They should be all in to win now. The Diggs trade was perfect for a win now mentality. 

I would eat up cap space for Clowney or trade away a pick next year for a pass rusher.

In regards to the schedule police:

1) No more Brady terror reign on the AFCE

2) All AFCE teams play a similar schedule 

3) There’s 3 Wild Cards

4) You really never know who will be surprise good or surprise bad, or who you face that may be hurt by major injuries at the time 

5) We are way more talented, and experienced, this year 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Potential weaknesses:

QB - Need more from Allen

OL - Need better than last year

LB - As good as the D was the LB crew is the biggest weakness

K - Could be better maybe or maybe not. 

O-line didn't play together at all before last season and they were still a mid-level unit even with Ford taking a lot of snaps as a rookie. I think having all 5 starters back after playing together for a full season will improve the team along with Ford being more consistent like he was towards the back part of 2019 should improve the O-line to being a top 10 unit. All 5 starters are under 30 and don't have a major injury history. The unit is also deep with 2-4 versatile starting caliber players coming off of the bench too so injury is insured against as much as reasonably possible. 

I think the O-line improvement will happen, LB's are in my opinion a strong part of the defense. Edumonds and Milano are one of the best LB pairings in the league, while Klein is a decent vet to round out the core and come in on standard packages. They don't have too much depth their besides V.Joseph who might not be much depth at all, so that is one of the few depth concerns on the roster in my opinion. 

Kicker isn't a major concern, Haush is a vet and they draft a big booted kicker, between the two I think they will find a good kicker. Agreed fully on Josh Allen, he needs to get the offense to being a top 10 unit. 

Edited by billsfan89

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

In regards to the schedule police:

1) No more Brady terror reign on the AFCE

2) All AFCE teams play a similar schedule 

3) There’s 3 Wild Cards

4) You really never know who will be surprise good or surprise bad, or who you face that may be hurt by major injuries at the time 

I think we don’t make the playoffs unless we win the division. Luckily, the division is up for grabs and we should win it easily if we are as good as we say we are.

But Brady gone doesn’t mean we are guaranteed 6 wins. We have swept the Jets once in the last 10 years or so. Pats1 last year, Brady played his worst game of the year and we still lost. 

Win the division and we have nothing to fear. Don’t win the division and suddenly we are competing with a couple other good teams and we’re facing the Chiefs/Rams/Titans/Seahawks/49ers. 

I like to break it down by offense and defense.  Everyone is so focused on our improvements on offense which by no means is nothing to sneeze at, that the defense has been overlooked. We had a top 5 defense last year and we may have actually improved to possibly 1st place there between FA and the draft. There is depth, and the DLine is going to be an absolute handful. Maybe as good as the secondary.

On offense, the front office has added some competition to the OL, but it feels like they want another year to see how last year's additions will improve going forward.  Diggs is a huge get. A couple of big WRs in the draft, a solid RB and a TE that can also be a fullback(really underated signing IMO). With all of these weapons, the only other consideration is "will Josh Allen continue to improve?" I think, just the weapons alone will make the offense better.  How much improvement is still on Josh.

If the defense improves to #1 and the offense moves into top 10 territory, we might just have something here.  Man it sure feels like we are getting close.