It's not just Allen under the microscope this year, so is Daboll

Everyone knows that Josh Allen needs to take another big step forward this year.  It is his third year in the same offense,  he should enjoy better O-Line play, and he will have more weapons to get the ball to this year.  If he isn't able to take a step forward this year, then we are probably looking at his ceiling and I don't think we win a Super Bowl with him under center.

The same thing can be said about Brian Daboll.  The offense has been the anchor around the neck of this franchise the last couple seasons.  Not all of it is Daboll's fault, the offensive cupboard was pretty bare when Daboll arrived.  That's not the case anymore.  With the offensive continuity and the players that Beane has given him, the pressure is squarely on Daboll to produce a much better offense.  He is out of excuses this year,  just like Josh Allen.

I think Daboll's biggest problem is that he just seems to outsmart himself at times. This year there should be no excuses for Lee "False Start" Smith being on the field, or DiMarco running routes 20+ yards down field, or Singletary disappearing for huge stretches of games when he is running effectively, or Cole Beasley disappearing for entire halves of games. 

Daboll needs to find his groove this year and this offense needs to finally start scoring some points. Barring catastrophic injuries, he has no more excuses, the cupboard is full of talent.  Now Daboll needs to get that talent to execute.  I don't think Beane and McDermott bring him back for a year four if he doesn't get the job done this year.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Josh Allen is here to stay. 

If he doesn't develop into some kind of superstar, or whatever this "leap" I keep hearing that he needs to make is, they will instead change the emphasis of the offensive strategy to suit whatever they think he is capable of, rely more on the running game, and probably start emphasizing defense strategically and in the draft.

He isn't going anywhere for a long while. He is the guy.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jaclynrea21 said:

not Josh just Daboll

I don’t buy this entirely.  If the offense has a bad year, yes,  Daboll could be in jeopardy.  But I don’t buy that Josh is completely safe.  He’ll be extended regardless but I do think you’ll see some serious QB competition brought in if he falters.  

• Like (+1) 3

The offensive roster is much better this year, plus Josh is fixing his flaws, plus the playbook is familiar, so production will increase.   All part of the process.   Will he be Johnny Unitas?  probably not.  Lets just go win the Division and go from there.  

It would be interesting if Daboll rolled with a simpler O a’la K gun. The weapons are now there. It seemed to work last year with the no-huddle and then, for an unknown reason, he stopped it. Weird. 

Not sure if I’m as high on the O line as you @Inigo Montoya  They’re certainly light years better than they were in ‘18 but still have some questions to answer. 

I have little doubt Josh will take another step as he has shown the ability during his rookie year (pre vs post injury) and then again in year two. Another step will happen and he is our QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’ve been thinking the same thing.

With the addition of a bruising RB, I specifically would like to see less QB designed runs by Josh. 
     Also, we have bonafide weapons which should hopefully require fewer Jet sweeps. 
     There was a thread about the lack of screen game. We have multiple players who would be great catching screens. This is such an important phase of the game we just don’t  use but need to. Our O line has another year under its belt. Both, in terms of pulling these off and helping negate pass rush. Couple that with Josh reading/ recognizing/ pulling the trigger faster. When you play screen and quick ball out against each other our O line has an easier day. Throw in the QB runs ( not designed) and deep threat ability and this O has the potential to take a huge step forward.

Synergy!!!

• Like (+1) 1

BB,  good take as Allen has been fortunate his previous injuries were in the pocket, not on designed runs YET.  If Allen is the guy, I don’t want to see him turn out like Newton where he is not the same player after all of his injuries.  We have the right 1-2 punch with the RB’s.  Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson.  We have basically the entire offensive starters returning, vs. last year with 9 new starters of 11, and I’m sure you guys remember the first time all 5 offensive line starters last year was the first week if the season.

Im tentatively excited to see an efficient passing game, where we can at least, very least be ranked in the top half of all teams, and lead the league in rushing.  Teams can win deep in the playoffs with that strategy.  I love it as a great running game allows to do more no huddle as our defense still gets enough rest, and their defense can’t substitute.  

This will probably be Daboll’s last year with the Bills.

IF the offense doesn’t improve Enough he will be fired, I hope this isn’t the case.

IF the offense improves by a noticeable amount Daboll will be hired for a HC job, we all should hope this is the case. 
I was very vocal in my displeasure with Daboll’s play calling and game management early in the year. I called for Daboll to be moved to the booth, I started a thread on it during the season. Daboll did move up to the booth, things improved some. Was this due to Josh improving his knowledge of the system or Brian seeing things better? 

I hope we are talking about replacing Daboll after a SB victory. It really can happen. This roster is stacked. If Josh and Brian finally click this year, this offense is built to score and then pound teams. 

4 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

If he doesn't develop into some kind of superstar, or whatever this "leap" I keep hearing that he needs to make is, they will instead change the emphasis of the offensive strategy to suit whatever they think he is capable of, rely more on the running game, and probably start emphasizing defense strategically and in the draft.

Josh you are horrible but we are going to give you 35 million per year because we like you kid now give me a hug.

Lets be honest. It's not just Allen and Daboll who are under the microscope. The entire team is. First time in a long time the expectations are sky high in WNY. Winning the division is expected. Going on a playoff run and possibly winning the Super Bowl is a realistic goal this year. Pressure will be on the Bills big time this year.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Lets be honest. It's not just Allen and Daboll who are under the microscope. The entire team is. First time in a long time the expectations are sky high in WNY. Winning the division is expected. Going on a playoff run and possibly winning the Super Bowl is a realistic goal this year. Pressure will be on the Bills big time this year.

My expectations are not super high.  They will be playing a much tougher  schedule this year, they had a cream puff schedule last year, with lots of losing teams.  It would be a huge leap to do  10-6 imho.  And, that might not win the div or make the playoffs.  So, a good year w/o playoffs could still be an improvement. And, sadly, I fear there might not be a season at all this year.........

4 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

That would be the team giving up if they did that, and I'd be severely disappointed in the organization if that happened.

You don't extend Allen for big money if he falters...you bring in someone to compete with him in year four and go from there.

• Like (+1) 2

I almost feel that you can't really make a fair judgement on Allen with Daboll as OC. The guys playcalling is extremely atrocious a lot of the time. He was the reason we ended up in a lot of 3rd and long situations trying to run 36 year old Frank Gore to the side instead of up the middle. He also gets to happy with QB draws for Allen. I feel like in order to have a fair assement of Allen this season that Daboll needs to just let Allen let loose

Just now, BeastMaster said:

That would be the team giving up if they did that, and I'd be severely disappointed in the organization if that happened.

You don't extend Allen for big money if he falters...you bring in someone to compete with him in year four and go from there.

I didn't say "falters", just if he doesn't get much better. I think he is already very good. I'm thrilled to have him, and think some people don't know a good thing when they have it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 32ABBA said:

I didn't say "falters", just if he doesn't get much better. I think he is already very good. I'm thrilled to have him, and think some people don't know a good thing when they have it.

He's not good enough right now.

If he were to stay the same QB as last season this season, then I'd be drafting a QB in the first round next year and I'd look at Winston if he has a good season in New Orleans. 

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

My expectations are not super high.  They will be playing a much tougher  schedule this year, they had a cream puff schedule last year, with lots of losing teams.  It would be a huge leap to do  10-6 imho.  And, that might not win the div or make the playoffs.  So, a good year w/o playoffs could still be an improvement. And, sadly, I fear there might not be a season at all this year.........

Its hard to say if the schedule will be tougher. On paper it does look tougher but when factor in injuries and teams that you think will be good end up having a down year. On the flip side teams that you think might be bad end playing well. The Bills IMHO have the best roster in the division. I also think their will be a season but a good chance without fans. Who knows at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

He's not good enough right now.

If he were to stay the same QB as last season this season, then I'd be drafting a QB in the first round next year and I'd look at Winston if he has a good season in New Orleans. 

You might, but I think think Bills are very happy, and are fine with building around him, even if he just basically just makes the natural progress most players would be expected to make as they become a veteran (commands respect, has good preparation, no off-field problems).