THE GAME CHANGER

The trade for Stefon Diggs changed the franchise 100 %. You can calculate all of the variables of Josh Allen’s third year and his increased chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley. The continuity of the O line. The maturation of Devin Singletary and Dawson Knox. Even the re-emergence of Robert Foster and Tyler Kroft. But the simple addition of Diggs is the game changer. Put yourself in the Defensive Coordinator of our opposition. And I know it’s more complicated than how I’m explaining it. But in 2019 CB 1 you got Brown. CB2 you’ve got blank. Slot guy shut down Beasley. 
 Now fast forward to that same Defensive Coordinator in 2020. CB1 you got Diggs ( yikes ?). CB2 you got Brown. And so on .... I know everyone gets the idea. Now add Moss, Davis, and Hoskins among others. The offense has been much improved. I’m guessing Beane is not finished. This is now a Championship level team . Enjoy the ride. ?

• Like (+1) 14

It IS more complicated than that, you're right. But you're also right that allowing Brown and Beasley to work against CBs one step down on the depth chart will help them have more potential success. And, of course, you'd think defensive gameplans will additionally account for Diggs at times, with safeties rolled over the top of him and linebackers buzzing underneath him. Not sure the opposition had to do much of that player-specific scheming last season, which one hopes even further opens up the other options in the passing game, and even maybe more impactfully, spills over into how they defend our run game. 

We hope to see a cascading series of positive impacts, not the least of which should be Diggs's own game-changing production.

• Like (+1) 4

Step one is to win the division and win a playoff game. I'd like to see that before I start proclaiming anything about this team as championship caliber.

But yeah, things are a lot better than they were during the drought. It's nice to root for a good team.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

The trade for Stefon Diggs changed the franchise 100 %. You can calculate all of the variables of Josh Allen’s third year and his increased chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley. The continuity of the O line. The maturation of Devin Singletary and Dawson Knox. Even the re-emergence of Robert Foster and Tyler Kroft. But the simple addition of Diggs is the game changer. Put yourself in the Defensive Coordinator of our opposition. And I know it’s more complicated than how I’m explaining it. But in 2019 CB 1 you got Brown. CB2 you’ve got blank. Slot guy shut down Beasley. 
 Now fast forward to that same Defensive Coordinator in 2020. CB1 you got Diggs ( yikes ?). CB2 you got Brown. And so on .... I know everyone gets the idea. Now add Moss, Davis, and Hoskins among others. The offense has been much improved. I’m guessing Beane is not finished. This is now a Championship level team . Enjoy the ride. ?

The Bills have gone from a team with only a few high level players a few years ago, to high level talent at almost every position:

Defensive line

Linebacker

Secondary

Quarterback

Running back

Wide receiver

If the offensive line (and Brian Dabol) can take the next step this year, I agree.  With Williams or Nsekhe rising to the occasion at right tackle, and Ford doing the same at right guard,  the Bills should have one of the best teams in the league.

with 30 -count ‘em, THIRTY WRs chosen in this Draft, nearly every team has a better WR grouping from last season. Contrast this with the meteoric rise in quality DB capabilities and the view evens out a little. Is there even a team left sporting the likes of Deonte Thompson, Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Kaelin Clay, Andre Holmes & Logan Thomas, as we did in ‘17. ?

While most allude to this now all coming down to Allen, few acknowledge -let alone NONE of his haters- just how adept his field vision has already developed. Our new Top 3 are nothing if not separators and as the ever-repeating draft tv graphic stated, he faced the 3rd most rush pressure of all QBs. That he still completed 58% of his passes -most of which weren’t short- speaks to this. 

I think we’re all a little guilty of over hyping this rarified air we’re breathing, for being fans of a competitive team. 

But, we haven’t ‘arrived’. Yet..

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We will wait and see just how much the Diggs trade will change the fortunes of this franchise. What I hope is that Diggs comes in and is this team's WR1 for the next 3 seasons and maintains a high level of production the next 2 seasons. That would add the needed punch to the offense and provide the gains over a long enough period of time to justify the significant draft capital and cap space put into it. 

"I'm gonna wait until they win a championship before I proclaim them a championship caliber team"

Gee, what fun. How bold.

It's a ***** message board. A place where people give assessments, and opinions of where the team is in it's development. No one is gonna get hurt.

I pretty much agree with the OP, I expect this team to make it to the AFC Championship game, at least.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think what this does is put the heat squarely on Allen and the oc 

groceries have been delivered

I think they (Allen and the OC) can pretty much perform at the same level, and get lots better results.

Having a guy like Diggs and not having Frank Gore on the field for 370 plays, are very different circumstances. And if the rest of the guys just maintain, it's gonna be glorious.

And of course, I fully expect Allen to at least get a little better anyway.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 2

Underrated ability that Diggs has.... getting open while working into the QBs vision during a scramble. Our WRs sucked at this last year. Sweaney was perhaps the only pass catcher who seamed to reliably find holes in coverage during a scramble, get Allen’s attention, and hold onto the ball. 

6 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

While I applaud your optimism, can we wait until the team takes the field before we make such bold proclamations?

Nonsense.  It's clear we've won the off season yet again, and have had the best draft in the league.  Again.

16-0 seems likely.  

? 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

The Bills have gone from a team with only a few high level players a few years ago, to high level talent at almost every position:

Defensive line

Linebacker

Secondary

Quarterback

Running back

Wide receiver

If the offensive line (and Brian Dabol) can take the next step this year, I agree.  With Williams or Nsekhe rising to the occasion at right tackle, and Ford doing the same at right guard,  the Bills should have one of the best teams in the league.

MD, I’ll agree with you on every position, but QB.  Before anyone gives me a hard time, I’m rooting for Allen, and hope he is a top QB in the next couple of years, but I wouldn’t categorize a QB who had completion ratings of 53%, and 58% as high level talent.  Most analysts state they evaluate a QB as being good with a minimum of 65% or more.  Look at Brees (high level talent) who has been as high as 70+% at times.

Again, I like Josh, and am rooting for him, I just can’t call him high level talent yet.  I’m hopeful he can get above 65% this year with this talent.

• Like (+1) 1

Such boring people replying to this OP. As of right now, I don't think there is any arguing against the claim that Beane built a championship-caliber roster. There shouldn't be any arguing on here against the claim McD is a good coach. Yeah, yeah, that gotta play the game. Who the hell doesn't know that? Stating the obvious is boring.

• Awesome! (+1) 1