Love that they doubled down on WR in this draft

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

It is interesting and human nature I guess. Fans tend to overvalue the unknown. Last year Duke was not playing and there was so much talk about how he is the best WR on the roster etc. 

Now we draft Davis and Hodgins and the Bills have "double-downed" on WR. Reality is neither of these guys could make the roster. Who are they better than?

Diggs, Brown, Beasley - No

Roberts, Foster, McKenzie - Probably not

Williams, McCloud, Easley - Maybe

I have no problem with them being drafted where they were. But lets not exaggerate the value here. If they had moved up or drafter guys early - like Higgins, Aiyuk, Pittman etc. Even one of the first 10 WR off the board that would be one thing. But they took the 17th and 30th WR of the draft. These are low risk, maybe the make the team type of picks. Its lower than a free agent signing like a Rashard Higgins, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews and if one of those guys were signed would we have a Bills double down thread?

So your basically it totally on where they were drafted......okkkkkay

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I dont think it is that simple. Zay Jones had 399 NCAA receptions - more than that entire list combined. R Foster caught for over 500 yds as an undrafted rookie including 3 100 yd games. Duke was supposedly all world if not for off the field issues. You can dice it up at many ways. At the end of the day I dont think it is unreasonable to call this what it is. Davis and Hodgins are your typical 4-7 round prospects that may or may not have careers in this league. 

In what was the best wide receiver class in what.....a decade?

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

It is interesting and human nature I guess. Fans tend to overvalue the unknown. Last year Duke was not playing and there was so much talk about how he is the best WR on the roster etc. 

Now we draft Davis and Hodgins and the Bills have "double-downed" on WR. Reality is neither of these guys could make the roster. Who are they better than?

Diggs, Brown, Beasley - No

Roberts, Foster, McKenzie - Probably not

Williams, McCloud, Easley - Maybe

I have no problem with them being drafted where they were. But lets not exaggerate the value here. If they had moved up or drafter guys early - like Higgins, Aiyuk, Pittman etc. Even one of the first 10 WR off the board that would be one thing. But they took the 17th and 30th WR of the draft. These are low risk, maybe the make the team type of picks. Its lower than a free agent signing like a Rashard Higgins, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews and if one of those guys were signed would we have a Bills double down thread?

I think that Davis and Hodgins will be given every opportunity to show that they belong on the active roster.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So your basically it totally on where they were drafted......okkkkkay

In what was the best wide receiver class in what.....a decade?

Yes - because that is the price paid to get them. How else would I base it? If they took a WR in the 2nd that is them taking a bigger bet on the player. I would call that doubling down. What they did is what teams do in and out every year. WR was one of the weaker units on the team. Everyone single draft "expert" expected the Bills to draft WR's. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yes - because that is the price paid to get them. How else would I base it? If they took a WR in the 2nd that is them taking a bigger bet on the player. I would call that doubling down. What they did is what teams do in and out every year. WR was one of the weaker units on the team. Everyone single draft "expert" expected the Bills to draft WR's. 

Are you of the opinion that most WR's that can play are drafted high?

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I dont think it is that simple. Zay Jones had 399 NCAA receptions - more than that entire list combined. R Foster caught for over 500 yds as an undrafted rookie including 3 100 yd games. Duke was supposedly all world if not for off the field issues. You can dice it up at many ways. At the end of the day I dont think it is unreasonable to call this what it is. Davis and Hodgins are your typical 4-7 round prospects that may or may not have careers in this league. 

Ok I will take the bait here.  Zay Jones averaged just over 10 YPC and had only 23 TDs (same as Davis) on 400 catches (or 247 more), one every 17 catches. 

Hodgins, for the record caught 176 passes and 20 TDs in 34 games at Oregon State.  He averaged 13.4 YPC and scored a TD on every 8.6 catches.  Against mostly PAC 10 teams.

Davis and Hodgins are down the field, contested catch WR targets unlike Zay in college.  They will go get the ball, something Foster, Zay and Duke have shown they struggle with.

I believe they both will be better than Zay (not hard to do) and beat our Foster and Williams.

Edited by freddyjj

17 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I said many times prior to the draft that I wanted the Bills to select 2 WR's.

Several people on this board chided me, stating that "What good does drafting a #4 & 5 WR help the Bills."

It was always about the big picture. Brown & Beasley getting into their 30's and also only signed for just 2 more seasons. Not to mention the fact that this WR group was loaded with talent.

Honestly, did anyone else here feel confident going into the season with Foster, WIlliams, McKenzie & Roberts being our reserve group?

Our WR unit just got a lot better overall. Thank you, Mr. Beane. GO BILLS!!! 

The wind blows and McKenzie falls down- they will cut him and Foster imo

17 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Ok I will take the bait here.  Zay Jones averaged just over 10 YPC and had only 23 TDs (same as Davis) on 400 catches (or 247 more), one every 17 catches. 

Hodgins, for the record caught 176 passes and 20 TDs in 34 games at Oregon State.  He averaged 13.4 YPC and scored a TD on every 8.6 catches.  Against mostly PAC 10 teams.

Davis and Hodgins are down the field, contested catch WR targets unlike Zay in college.  They will go get the ball, something Foster, Zay and Duke have shown they struggle with.

I believe they both will be better than Zay (not hard to do) and beat our Foster and Williams.

Or they dont make the team and in a year people need to look up their names to remember who those two late round WR's were. 

Isn't Duke sold as the go get the ball guy?

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are you of the opinion that most WR's that can play are drafted high?

Generally speaking the higher your drafted at any position, the better the player. Obviously doesn't always go that way. But the odds of a 1-3rd rounder making it vs a 4-7th rounder are vastly different. People here about the few late rounders that do well and think its the norm and forget the fact there 10-15 guys that never make it. 

After the top 3 WR's, there's a big dropoff, so good move. I still wish they'd do more to upgrade the right side of the OL though. Hopefully one of those guys will be a solid #4. I likr McKenzie for his speed and versatility and Roberts as well. I can see us carrying 6 WR's on the roster and a rookie WR on the PS.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

These two guys put up some pretty big numbers at big universities, this is supposedly one of the deepest receiver drafts in years. Hodgins caught I think it is like 156 of 159 catchable balls in college, he is also 6"4 and long armed, and ran the fastest 20 yard shuttle at the combine. That is the type of camp body I like to have on the roster, I am more pumped about him than I am Davis and he was picked in the late 6th round. If it even takes a year to get him up to speed on the practice squad (hopefully if need be they can get him to clear waivers) I am very excited about his potential.

Edited by billrooter

44 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Doesn't sell well when the last memory people have is Duke dropping the go get it ball that would have put us up in an elimination game. 

Yeah....I was high on Duke last year but dropping it when we needed it the most was NOT a good look.

and

Its not the first time last year that a big physical receiver fighting for a ball in the end zone and coming down with it would have helped us.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Read my day 3 debrief. I say exactly that!

Maybe when its all said and done they will be calling Tee Higgins the lite version of him

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe when its all said and done they will be calling Tee Higgins the lite version of him

Maybe but I think Tee is gonna be a really good player and landed in a perfect spot. I do like Gabe a lot though  

Edited by GunnerBill

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe but I think Tee is gonna be a really good player and landed in a perfect spot. I do like Gabe a lot though  

Tee with CB2 or CB3 on him without safety help will be pretty nice. If AJ Green is healthy, that offense might start rolling early.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

So how many players do teams get to keep on their permanent roster that are protected from being poached off the PS on non-gamedays?

I'm assuming none as of now.  I've been searching for an answer (hey that a Chicago tune) but I can't find anything.  I know there was some talk

about that before the CBA was signed.  If I find something out I will definitely start a thread about it.  Hope others do the same.

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Andre Roberts provided a few thrills last year, but never delivered a knockout punch and was virtually invisible as a WR. Add his salary and he’s on the bubble. ‘Rue-Rue’? ‘Dupe’? ‘Sleazy’? ‘Fluster’? fuggetaboutit..

I’m guessing last year was the last year..

Yes to your first post and I hope so for your second.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm assuming none as of now.  I've been searching for an answer (hey that a Chicago tune) but I can't find anything.  I know there was some talk

about that before the CBA was signed.  If I find something out I will definitely start a thread about it.  Hope others do the same.

Yes to your first post and I hope so for your second.

Bills had the 8th best average starting field position, and Roberts was a part of that.