A Good Read On AJ Epenesa

6 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Its more his 10yard split time teams were concerned about which relates to explosiveness off the line. But thats not his game. He reminds me more of an old school DE. 6-5 275lbs that uses strength and pass rush moves to get to QB. Execs are so in love with the quick first step guys that can fly in off the edge, but what you miss with a lot of those guys (that Epenesa will bring) is run stopping ability and containment on the edge. For a guy that timed so slow I cant seem to remember any coach trying to attack his side thinking the rb could just run right past him. The guy is a monster and swallowed teams up all year. And from what all his coaches are saying, hes still pretty raw and is only going to get better with more playing time and NFL coaching. Go Bills!

Good read on his combine here and the context around it. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2878147-nfl-scouting-combine-notebook-did-aj-epenesa-crater-his-draft-stock.amp.html

17 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

To me the closest comparison is Carlos Dunlap.  Should be fun to watch him and root for him over the next few years.

Dunlaps a pretty good player too.  8-10 sack guy with a few forced fumbles. 

Dunlaps good with his gaps too, seems to shrug off tackles and make plays in the backfield too.  

17 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You aren't far off, he doesn't have the "bend" that the elite speed rushers have.  You don't see his upper body ripping around the corner, he is a little stiff.  That said, hes strong as a bull and only going to get stronger, weighs 275 and probably could go up 10lbs in his legs and really cause problems for opponents.  His upper body and hands are great, his attitude is great and his instincts are exciting, he goes for the ball first, something nobody for the Bills in recent history has really done. I love that.  He's a lot like Shaq in terms of what he will bring, except way more effort, every day.  I think Shaq is a bit more flexible, but it never translated.  I ne er understood taking Shaq where they did, basically, they took Shaqs replacement where Shaq should have been taken to start with.

I think some compare him to other speed rushers or “EDGE” guys when that’s not really who he is. He wins with power, technique, hands vs speed off the edge. Similar to Shaq in terms of type of DE but i think epenesa is a better player with a higher ceiling. I think moving him inside next to Oliver on passing downs would be awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think some compare him to other speed rushers or “EDGE” guys when that’s not really who he is. He wins with power, technique, hands vs speed off the edge. Similar to Shaq in terms of type of DE but i think epenesa is a better player with a higher ceiling. I think moving him inside next to Oliver on passing downs would be awesome. 

I think swapping him with Oliver on passing downs works well.

I think we were lucky to get him there.

I'd also say that the situation helped him fall. Teams concerned about his combine numbers, didn't get to see them improve in a workout, so likely didn't necessarily return to his tape, or didn't really look hard enough at it.

An interesting comment from his opponents was that he bursts off the ball. I don't think they necessarily mean a first step, rather that he is at you immediately. A subtle distinction, but one nonetheless.

At times, and largely due to the prevalence of Fantasy Football, fans obsess about numbers. Thankfully our GM still goes old school and watches tape, where you can discover if a guy is a football player, or not.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed, he’s more of a bull than a dancing bear, but he’s also very good at getting free.  Somebody like Brady, with quick drops and passes, can completely neutralize his type of game on the edge.  But give that ball an extra pat on a 5 step drop and he can get home, you also won’t run him over like Murphy, etc.   I do think he could raise absolute hell from the 3 tech spot, which could be interesting on passing downs, line him and Oliver up in a speed rush package, flank the center and make them figure out who to deal with. 

He is not a super twitchy athlete, but if you watch him play, he manages to get home in a hurry, it’s deceptive.  I think part of it is his size, and he’s not super sudden, but somehow he ends up past his guy and crushing people without a lot of flash.  I think he will have a solid career, I would expect a consistent 6-8 sacks a year and the occasional 10+ year when he gets lined up against guys that can’t handle his power and he gets a couple in one game.  He was a dominant player in college, he won’t, or I doubt, he will be quite as dominant in the pros, but I think he can be a long term starter for you and you won’t be upset to have him there.  

I liken his production to Shaq, but I don’t expect to see him showing up out of shape and not giving effort the way Shaq did for 3 years.  I see more of a  Shaq in a contract year type of player here.